Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Houston - Are you there ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Houston - Are you there ?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
msrcflyer2
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston - Are you there ?

Just checking in on the Houston gang - Looks like Ike was the big one.

Hope you all are ok and your families recover quickly! I hear no one has power except marginal cell phone service at best.....

Rayborn?
Yockey?
Theole?
Blair?

Let us know you have floats on the jets.

God Speed - Stern
Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Pantherman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Houston - Are you there ?

I am on the NW side and had minor damage. Mostly trees down, fences and no power from 5:30AM to 4 PM. We are already cleaning up the mess and cooked a stack of Ike burgers this afternoon on the grill. Ready for some football now!

Woody
Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

ok, guys lets check in!
Kevin
Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 PM
EddieWeeks

I don't think we will be hearing from them for a while....

I just got my power back 2 days ago... and that was from Gustav

Eddie Weeks
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Friendswood's back up, just now.

Talk about one hairy ride - holly carp! We didn't get abreak - the eye passed just afew miles away, soooo.. we got the winds and rain non-stop for over 15 hours. And my wife scoffed at me buying that generator last year...

Surprisingly just lost a fence and a major oak. I'm reporting back to Galveston tomorrow morning with the rest of the emergency relief crew for UTMB. We've got a VERY bad feeling about what we're going to find. It's pretty wasted, especially Crystal Beach.

Talked to Barry Raborn and JR so far - both good.

Wish us luck and prayers for the Galveston folks.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 AM
jrsx-man

Do you really think that after a storm like this, that people sit there and think "I know, I must get on line to RCU".

It would be way down the list of lifes important things.

Lets just hope that everyone in the effected areas are alive, well and have thier families together.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Kevin East

Chuck
Glad to you guys are ok!
Kevin
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good morning RCU. man it is good to be back. power is on at work. work is in the med ctr, so it comes on quick here. no power at the house and may not be for some time. got my health, got some gas and my place of business. just thankful, barry
Old 09-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Glad to hear you guys are ok,

IKE looked pretty crappy on the weather channel. I'd have to say after Lili and Rita...I'll take Idaho and a big snow storm anytime now. Looked like the EYE passed right over your house Barry. Hope everything gets back to normal quicky. Being without power sucks!

Dan
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with Barry (U2Fast) a couple of times this weekend, as of last night he still was without power, but his home had minimal damage. His neighborhood had lots of trees down, and they were bored and miserable. he was on his way to Louisiana to purchase gas for the generator last night, and have not heard from him today, but sounds like he is doing well and noboby near him that he knew of had been hurt seriously. Dodged a bullet.
Tommy
Old 09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

im on the north side, lots of trees and fence down but basic house is ok. work and home on generator. i have lots of gas at home, not so much at the office..

glad to hear your good Barry, Chuck, Woody.

Kirk
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

No power at home but I've been at work in the medical center since 0500 on Friday. Wife says very little damage at apartment, no damage at new house (they finished framing it on Thursday) and just fences down at the house we're tryin' to sell.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i scored mucho gas. i had 3 days worth for my generator. word is i could be out of power a week or two. so i drove far enough away to leave the crazyness to purchase gas. i came back with close to 100 gallons. now i am sure the power will be on quick. thanks for all the pm's and phone calls. seems that we all have made it. not so good for galveston.[] they are not letting anyone on the island and some parts are still off limits to the press. word is it killed everyone down there. probably just a rumor, but is interesting that the faa has made these areas restricted airspace to everyone but govt aircraft. that does lend some weight to the rumor. barry
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM
ChuckC

Got back from Galveston at about 6:30 - luckily they've got a curfew so we get kicked out every night. You get arrested on site. There are hundreds and hundreds of cops swarming the area.

Death toll will climb, but I bet it's going to be in the hundreds at the very worst - there aren't dead bodies strewn about or anything like that. BUT, there is floatsom debris piled up higher than my car. Entire marinas layed up on the highway - just bizarre. The hospital took it pretty hard, but could be worse. Most buildings (we have about 110 of them) got something like 3-5 feet of saltwater, but surprisingly little wind damage. But, the whole place smells of low tide with that Mississippi delta mud. And don't get me started about the HAZMAT cleanup....

Well, back to work tomorrow - I get to start with the ground floor morgue, whose walk-in refrigerators belched out their contents...then on to cleaning up the hazardous materials labs.. What a job.

I'll try to get some of the video I sot out, uh but not of our clean-up.

BTW - getting away from this business and blowing off steam talking to friends about other matters or getting on RCU is good therapy to return normality.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I'm made it without too much damage at the house. A section of my fence was down, but I got that back up yesterday. A few roofing shingles were also blow off and got that repaired. Been without power since 1am the day of Ike and running on a generator. Lucky for me my ski boat holds 30 gallons of gas that I've been tapping into for gas up my generator. I've ran low on beer twice and had to restock. Did a big fish fry on Saturday with my a lot of my neighbors to try and empty out some of the fish in my freezer. Sunday we partied again with Fajitas and yesterday was BBQ chicken and pork chops. With the power out it's almost like camping in your front yard.

JR
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Damn Chuck sorry for the crappy situation you boyz are in down there. I know that low tide smell all too well. uggh unrelenting poop sandwich

hang in there and if you get hungry looks like Jr has plenty of chow.

take care
buck

ORIGINAL: ChuckC

Got back from Galveston at about 6:30 - luckily they've got a curfew so we get kicked out every night. You get arrested on site. There are hundreds and hundreds of cops swarming the area.

Death toll will climb, but I bet it's going to be in the hundreds at the very worst - there aren't dead bodies strewn about or anything like that. BUT, there is floatsom debris piled up higher than my car. Entire marinas layed up on the highway - just bizarre. The hospital took it pretty hard, but could be worse. Most buildings (we have about 110 of them) got something like 3-5 feet of saltwater, but surprisingly little wind damage. But, the whole place smells of low tide with that Mississippi delta mud. And don't get me started about the HAZMAT cleanup....

Well, back to work tomorrow - I get to start with the ground floor morgue, whose walk-in refrigerators belched out their contents...then on to cleaning up the hazardous materials labs.. What a job.

I'll try to get some of the video I sot out, uh but not of our clean-up.

BTW - getting away from this business and blowing off steam talking to friends about other matters or getting on RCU is good therapy to return normality.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Kevin East

Yup,, Sounds like you guys are making the best of a bad deal.
But,, Chuck, morgue refirdgerators belching out contents, come on dude!, how can you think about eating?
Anyway.. that will haunt my sleep.
Later
Kevin
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

On west side of Houston, up while it roared through, hid behind a big fat oak with the wind meter, 97mph, watched a couple of trees get blown over across the street, had gen, lots of gas, power out three 1/2 days. McDonalds was open Sat. afternoon, commercial strip of Westheimer had power still, gas stations opened Sunday with gouging prices, not to mention some stores with the same for water. Attorney General here I come! Still lots of damage, power off. Put my gen. for sale on Craigslist, had it sold within two minutes, along with 30gals. of gas. Yo Barry, why did you have to go to La. for gas? We had plenty over here. The stations owners were smart, they all had power but waited until Sunday pm to start selling at gouge prices. I got gas yesterday at Kroger's for 3.33 however, everyone else seems to be around 3.69. Bodies will be found in Galveston and Bolivar, those the media showed in the bars and houses that would rather party. DUMB AND DEADLY!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
ChuckC

Sunday update:

So I discovered several new categories of smells:

1) Low tide - the entire Galveston Island
2) Willed body/pickled people parts (for med students to disect) and those fresh, but going sour...what an "education" for me!
3) Experimental Animal bedding and food that has been rotting and growing mold for 6 days
4) Raw sewage while cleaning out the blood bank

6 years of college and 2 degrees to do this???? Well, we do what we can. They let residents on the island for a day for a "look and leave" policy- what a mistake, it became "look and loot". It was NUTS. No confirmed reports of mass amounts of bodies floating up - rumors that SOME had, but not numerous amounts. We did, however have several cow-balloons wash up at our dock. They're getting most of the ships off the freeway now along with the boats and other items. I think we've got most of the hazardous material cleaned up at the university/hospital and power, light and water's back on. Oh, and the blackhawks aren't flying as much - just once in a while.

Another week and we'll get a day off.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Pantherman

Hang in there Chuck. That sounds nasty. Hope you get some time off soon.

Woody
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: u2fast

i scored mucho gas. i had 3 days worth for my generator. word is i could be out of power a week or two. so i drove far enough away to leave the crazyness to purchase gas. i came back with close to 100 gallons. now i am sure the power will be on quick. thanks for all the pm's and phone calls. seems that we all have made it. not so good for galveston.[] they are not letting anyone on the island and some parts are still off limits to the press. word is it killed everyone down there. probably just a rumor, but is interesting that the faa has made these areas restricted airspace to everyone but govt aircraft. that does lend some weight to the rumor. barry

Hey I know you!

Biff
Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 AM
grbaker

Chuck,

I just heard about the UTMB closing. So Ike takes another 3600 victims. [:@]

Hope you land on your feet somewhere real soon!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
ChuckC

Gary,

The report of my demise is much pre-mature (like my love life-but that's another story...) :-)

UTMB has 12,000 employees and will be laying off 3,800. That's a significant chunk, no matter how you slice it. What makes it all better is that the politicians stopped the layoffs until after the elections because it would affect the outcome. That makes it just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And the cherry for this rotten sundae? Oh, yeah -most of these people lost their homes during the storm.

There is a bright side though - most being laid off are in the medical field and there's still a high demand for their services locally. Business-wise this HAS to be done - I just wish they would not have played with people's lives for the sake of politics.

I feel pretty safe and already have leads/offers "just in case you need a job" - which makes you feel pretty good.

Puts a damper in my Jet Life, however. I've been working quite a bit, which pushes weekday business over to the weekend, so "No flyin' fo you!" for a L-O-N-G time. I feel like my son getting grounded from his toys...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
grbaker

The report of my demise is much pre-mature
That's good news!