Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

To whip or not to whip

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

To whip or not to whip

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 04:14 AM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To whip or not to whip

What do you think about the idea of whip antennas on turbine powered jets? and who makes the best?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:16 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man: Your going to get alot of answers!
My vote: Full length wip.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:11 AM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

I have used the whip antennas from Golden West Models on two different HotSpots and have no problems what so ever. IMHO I think they work great.

Sung
Old 03-18-2002, 07:56 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Use a half whip from Team Liebertrau !! Since starting to use them I have had extraordinary ground range, with little or no degradation with engine running and not a single glitch or lockout. That may also have something to do with the exceptionally good JR receivers. (JR 940S, 945S and 1000S ).I use the half whip at 90 degrees to the flexible aerial. Proof is it WORKS !
Old 03-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using the Jet Team Liebetrau whip for a year now and have had extraordinary range with the way beyond extraordinary MPX 9 channel & 12 channel receivers. I think that it is the same antenna as from GWM and the same that David Gladwin called a half whip. It is not base loaded, but I guess it is called a half whip cause it is not full length as the stock string antenna is. You must cut off a bit more than half of your 72 MHz string antenna and replace it with the whip.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Gordon_Dickens
My Feedback: (1)

Default Base loaded whip antennas also work great!

I have been using the Dean's and Horizon (Revolution) base loaded antennas with great success. I have been able to achieve 200' plus range (antenna removed) with these base loaded antennas.

I have found that you will definitely observe a degredation in reception if you run your stock antenna wire near your turbine electronics and all of the other metal and carbon fiber stuff that you have in an airplane. I have seen improved range with the base loaded whip antennas over the stock antennas since you are able to install the whip antennas external to the airplane away from all of the bad stuff. That's why I use them.

The Lebatrau whip is a good option as well.

Gordon
Old 03-18-2002, 03:54 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Team Liebertrau or Revolution (horizon hobbies) base loaded antenna's work great! Seen too many failures on the Deans for my liking, they seperate at the coil! Either of the above will do quite well.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Gordon_Dickens
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Todd,

The problem that you mentioned with the Dean's antennas breaking at the coil is caused by mechanical abuse to the one piece Dean's antennas once they are mounted. In the absense of abuse, the one piece Dean's antenna is a very reliable product. Nevertheless, I agree that the Revolution product is more immune to abuse due to its use of a soft wire mini-antenna as opposed to the Dean's music wire.

OTOH, the two piece Dean's antennas are designed to be mounted such that any abuse to the antenna or its mounting will not harm the coil. The two piece Dean's antennas also have the advantage of being removable for the sake of appearance and/or static judging.

Gordon
Old 03-19-2002, 02:32 PM
lov2flyrc

Originally posted by Gordon_Dickens
Hi Todd,

The problem that you mentioned with the Dean's antennas breaking at the coil is caused by mechanical abuse to the one piece Dean's antennas once they are mounted. In the absense of abuse, the one piece Dean's antenna is a very reliable product.
Hey Gordon,
I agree, in a vibration free enviroment (such as a turbine aircraft) the Dean's would probably do quite well but I have seen FIVE machines turned back into kits (three planes, two heli's) from Dean's failures, just makes me nervous to use them for anything worth more then the price of the antenna The revolution works great and I dont have the worries

Regards,
Todd
Old 03-19-2002, 09:17 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default REVOLUTION MOUNTING ?

TODD,

with the rather large moulded plastic base on the revolution antenna, how do you go about mounting it on top of our jets so it looks atractive, or at least presentable ? .

also, since it is a one piece unit, I asume you cant remove it for static display right ? .

regards, scott
Old 03-19-2002, 10:42 PM
lov2flyrc

Scott,

Since there is no carbon fiber in my roo, I was able to install the Revolution inside the fuse without range reduction. I stood it vertical and it sits inside the fuse and canopy. If I did need to bring it through the fuse I would have had to find a way to be a bit more creative. If you need it to be removable, a small grommet through the fuse just exposing the whip itself will do nicely, base can remain in the fuse and velcro it to a block of wood. Just release the velcro and slide the antenna into the fuse for static display. I tested the revolution's range in the vertical and horizontal positions with no diffrence either way. What ever works for your situation is fine.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6215_211.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	4482  
Old 03-20-2002, 12:06 AM
SKYPILOT

Default REVO WHIP

TODD,

my instalation is for a STARFIRE/P-80 combo, with jet-tech bypass/fuel tanks, this does not leave much space left but I did look at it from a different perspective after looking at your pic .

there is just enough space under the top part of the fuse just behind the removable cockpit/canapy to put the base there and run the antenna part straight up and out the top .

now, to do this, I need apx. 10 inches of factory antenna to make the trip from the rx. to the baseload point, so the next question is, what is the cut spec from revolution ? .

regards, scott
Old 03-20-2002, 12:10 AM
azblue

I run my antena in the airplane. I personaly think the wip looks kind of silly myself. My Roo fly's fine with no kind of interferance what so ever.

Andy
Old 03-20-2002, 12:16 AM
lov2flyrc

Scott,
The revo requires 4" from the receiver BUT as with most base loaded you can get away with 4-10" without changing the tuning much. Plus there is another 3-4" on the antenna side. Cut it to the length required for the install and range check, dont think you have a problem there. Do a range check before you cut the antenna lead then after, this will tell you if you have any substantial loss (anything more then 10% is unsatisfactory). With my install I gained quite a bit!? Remember, with a turbine install, check with turbine running as well!
Todd

Andy,

Cant see my whip with canopy on?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:29 AM
SKYPILOT

Default WHIPS

TODD,

thanks, I plan to do all forms of range checking, including lee demary's version with the antenna extended ! .

ANDY,

I agree with you one hundred percent, I personaly HATE external antennas for the same reason, I think they look redickuless , having said that, I have the new style STARFIRE with the inside pretty much blanketed with carbon fiber, not leaving a clear unubstructed path to run the standard full length antenna, plus, my stock antenna is 42 1/2" long, and the total length of the fuse is only 67" .

now subtract 12" from the nose ( antenna would start there ) and 13" from the tail ( antenna would end there ) , the balance is 42" ( the length of my antenna ) in the center of the airframe, passing all the engine electrics, then under the engine, and finaly ending right under the stainless pipe, within 1 1/2" of the pipe .

now, I am not all that electrical but that to me is just "SMACKS" of trouble, so I am willing to have that silly looking whip out there to help cut down on some of the gotchas that kill our jets

regards, scott