Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Monster planes, any photos or info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Monster planes, any photos or info

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Monster planes, any photos or info

As I see it, after watching the video and reading the posts, there many issues to blame and not just one. There are plenty of Should have, Could have, Would have's....

1st. The Hawk pilot should have called an emergency loud enough, and also could have attempted to land the aircraft past the pilot stations.....Many pilots witnessed the same thing at LBJR when a pilot with gear problems tried to land before the pilots and behind the flight line, which ended up with him crashing the aircraft.

2nd. flight stations, we all use the same type. a little red fence held together with plastic pipe or a set up very close too.... there is a need to improve this and make it safer for the pilots....

3rd. the spotter. I have seen it at many jet rally's and so have you, where the spotter stands by you and watching your jet rip through the sky.... the spotter is just a busy as the pilot watching everything else that the pilot can not see....

so, do we still blame one person? or does the blame get shared amoung many issues that lead to a very sad mishap of an outstanding aircraft?
I some how feel the final outcome of this tragic crash might set some new standards for flight line operations in the future...

At just about all the events I attend, the flight stations are right there next to the runway, Do we move them back? Improve our flight station saftey fence?

Mark
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I know what to do...make spotter waivers, go to school, practice and get a check ride with an AMA approved spotter waiver checker outer. The bottom line it that these are model airplanes and they do crash. We've all done it and will all do it again. The Hawk guy didnt do it on purpose and I'm sure he feels bad about it. Every time we go fly we assume the chance of a less that stellar finish, that's the chance we take. If you want to be perfectly safe we need to build bunkers with crashproof window to look through or only fly alone. If this had been a sweet stick it wouldnt have made the news. Yeah, if it were my Hog I'd be po'd too but unfortunately that's life. Let's just start sueing each other for mishaps at the flying field and then see how well our hobby progresses!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tp777fo
If you want to be perfectly safe we need to build bunkers with crashproof window to look through or only fly alone.
IMO, just because we can't prevent ALL cases of pilots being hit by other models, that doesn't mean we should be cavalier about it, and there's a lot that can be done much better without getting silly and resorting to bunkers and crashproof windows. That ridiculous little fence is a joke as far as I am concerned - unsuitable even for regular size models, never mind for a meet designed for MONSTER aircraft.

Gordon
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

My thoughts on this tragic event is that the lack of an adequate barrier/fence should take most (if not all) of the blame. Why are fences/barriers required ? I believe it is to protect the pilot(s) from basically this EXACT scenario. If I were to come up with a scenario or presentation on why we want/need barriers .... it would probably describe just what happened here. If the fence/barrier had done what it was supposed to do .... Bob would not have lost his beautiful A10 and we would not even be discussing the event .... this thread would not even exist.
Yes, the Hawk pilot and/or the spotter could have done things a bit differently ..... but their actions are being disected after the fact ... in hindsite .... that's a bit unfair.

Bob

Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

If the fence/barrier had done what it was supposed to do .... Bob would not have lost his beautiful A10 and we would not even be discussing the event .... this thread would not even exist.
Yes, the Hawk pilot and/or the spotter could have done things a bit differently ..... but their actions are being disected after the fact ... in hindsite .... that's a bit unfair.

Bob

Quite the contrary, I have flown at many events that have not even had the safety fence with similar type incidents happening. If the spotter had been doing his job (actually watching what was going on) his pilot likely would not have been hit. A god spotter is watching the takeoffs and landings and ALL of the other traffic around knows his pilots position, and constantly talks to his pilot or moves him to keep him aware of what is going on around him. No doubt the barrier was not substantial enough, but the same barriers have worked in similar situations many times in the past.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
A10FLYR

From the looks of that video there would not have been enough time to drag the pilot out of the way.
A good spotter should have jumped in front of the Hawk to save the pilot!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:14 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

From the looks of that video there would not have been enough time to drag the pilot out of the way.
A good spotter should have jumped in front of the Hawk to save the pilot!
lol or at least kick it away! Good thing that didn't happen to me. I probably would have lost my temper and smashed my transmitter through that Hawk while stomping it to oblivion.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter where fault may lie, hopefully all pilots, spotters will have learned from this and be aware of whats going on during your pilots flight, all the years of flying and spotting, we are more concerned whats going on in the air and watching out for full scale, that we tend to forget the 2 most important part of being a spotter, and that is watching all take offs and landings for the safety of your pilot and yourself, and in the end a pilot will have his jet return with no outside situations. I think figuring out who is at blame here should end and start thinking about us being a better spotter Everyone here in this forum has at one time or another made a mistake, so let the pilots involved figure it out.

Joe C!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

While it is really easy to get caught up in placing blame and name calling, (Sally)maybe the better use of this tragic occurrence is to learn and enact corrections to the obvious mistakes that were made.

1. Pilot barriers should actually be capable of stopping a misdirected aircraft. At Ky Jets pilots stood behind several layers of hay bales. Nothing short of a fullscale would have gotten thru those! Jorge, I think that Gulfstream woulda done it You're welcome! At CA Jets a couple years ago, one of our best pilots lost steering control of his Yellow F-18 on landing, because the nose steering arm broke.(just to show it can happen to anyone) The plane slammed at almost full speed into the heavy 2x4 and wire constructed pilot stations, and when it hit it barely moved the barrier. If the barrier is not capable of stopping the aircraft, it's useless.

2. Pilot's spotters have to be aware of what's happening around their pilots, on the ground, as well as in the air. I think being aware of the status of any aircraft taking off or on final to land should be priority ONE. Those are the aircraft closest to the pilot and therefore highest potential for danger.

3. At events, where the number of planes in the air, waiting to fly, starting up etc can get quite large, I believe there needs to be a ground controller with a bullhorn to announce all takeoffs and landings such that there is no way the pilots and spotters are not aware of what's happening. individuals do not always call their intentions loud enough for them to be heard all along the flight line. My first and only experience with the FL Jets flight line convinced me not to fly there anymore. For me, it was just way to hectic to be able to enjoy my flight. I had to go around five times on one occasion because people kept pulling out onto the runway to takeoff while I was on final. Finally had to land right over another plane on the runway starting it's takeoff run.

I know we are all concerned about the investment in time and money we have in these aircraft, but let's not lose sight of the fact that crashing a plane pales in comparison to a person suffering great bodily injury or possibly losing their life. Bob Levine is a very lucky man!! Had that plane hit him a foot or two higher, instead of just sweeping him off his feet, we might be having an entirely different discussion!

David S
Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Dee Miller
My Feedback: (2)

FWIW, I was there (about 30 feet). The flight line controller warned the pilot and the spotter that a plane was landing
that had issues with the landing gear. To the controllers surprise he was ignored. There was never a question the landing
plane had issues; they were obvious to all for at least 2 laps prior to the landing. It was a bad accident that could have been
much worse.
Dee
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
red-out
My Feedback: (5)

[/ul]DCM wrote: If that Hawk pilot can't land on a runway that wide and long ( full scale), He should't be flying jets in public.
It appears that the Hawk was dead on the downwind and turned for the runway at the last possible moment. He was on the center line until the flare, when the left wing stalled and the plane veered of the runway. I don't know DCM and this is not a personal attack but I remember watching a video you posted of an awesome F-8 where it appeared you fell asleep at the controls of what I considered a no brainer. Your airplane was flying slower and slower and it appeared that you did nothing other than pull on the elevator until it plowed into the ground (hope you're building another one). My point is that it is easy to criticize after the incident. This is an unfortunate accident that clearly demonstrates why we need experienced spotters by our sides. If the pilots would stand a couple of feet behind the barrier fence this would not have happened (I like to stand close to the runway also). I'll bet that if you stood behind the catch fence at a NASCAR event and watched a car hit the wall, you would be killed. The fence needs to deflect to absorb the energy.

Regards,

JC
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Searles

At CA Jets a couple years ago, one of our best pilots lost steering control of his Yellow F-18 on landing, because the nose steering arm broke.(just to show it can happen to anyone) The plane slammed at almost full speed into the heavy 2x4 and wire constructed pilot stations, and when it hit it barely moved the barrier. If the barrier is not capable of stopping the aircraft, it's useless.
Actually, to correct this just a tad...the model actually partially collapsed the first heavy 2"x4" with chicken wire barrier it hit (station 2), pushed it into the second barrier (3) and moved that whole shebang another 3-4 feet. But while that was happening, the pilot in the "soon to be toast" barrier had been "spotter-grabbed" by his shoulders and pulled back away from the malée. Lots of inertia here. My first post in this thread mentioned that I've seen spotters "worth their weight in gold". That was in reference to this CA-Jets '07 incident.

Joey C. is da man! Oooooooooooooooooohhhhh!
And I think Dougee Fresh would agree

Important to note that this was a perfectly good landing on the centerline when the steering cable broke and the model just gradually veered left into the pilot stations. But a great spotter is aware of all landings and take-offs, as well as watching other traffic in the air. Had there been an issue called out before landing, I wouldn't be surprised if all the pilot stations would have been semi-vacated prior to touchdown. We're just that "on top of it" out here in Cali

"Safe and sane jet flying at it's best", to quote a clip from the CA Jets '08 movie.

This post is not inferring anything about the spotter involved in the 'Monster Planes" event. Just an interesting spotter story.

Paul
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
Actually, to correct this just a tad...the model actually partially collapsed the first heavy 2"x4" with chicken wire barrier it hit (station 2), pushed it into the second barrier (3) and moved that whole shebang another 3-4 feet. But while that was happening, the pilot in the "soon to be toast" barrier had been "spotter-grabbed" by his shoulders and pulled back away from the malée. Lots of inertia here. My first post in this thread mentioned that I've seen spotters "worth their weight in gold". That was in reference to this CA-Jets '07 incident.

Joey C. is da man! Oooooooooooooooooohhhhh!
And I think Dougee Fresh would agree
Yup – Joey did an absolutely stellar job there … and let's not forget that Duk-duk was no slouch either – IIRC, when Joey grabbed Doug and spun him away from the F18, Doug was propelled in a complete circle – a full 360 degree plus during which he completely lost sight of his own aircraft. It was a pretty impressive and calm reaction from him for him to not bang the sticks around while being spun, and to then scan the sky and reaquire his aircraft safely.

The behaviour of EACH and every part of the system in that CA Jets case – pilot, spotter, barrier, etc. were ALL crucial to a safe outcome, and had any one of those components been of lesser quality then we'd probably not have had such a happy ending. A good barrier doesn't mean that the spotter can be lackadaisical about his responsibilities, but neither does having a good spotter mean that we should be satisfied with inferior barriers. Gotta try to make each component of the system contribute sufficientely towards the overall safety.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

200 lb. water cans, easiest setup to stop a jet, maybe I should use two of them. Or maybe straw bales. Or maybe 2''x2''s with plastic netting. or maybe these guys should be standing on this side of the concrete barriers.
Sorry to here about your loss Bob, it was a great looking Jet.
Rcpete
PS, the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDe90Xx27YM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78139.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1057140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86791.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1057141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79334.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1057142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30421.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1057143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54833.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1057144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61113.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1057145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52412.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1057146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37539.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1057147  

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: f16jc

No matter where fault may lie, hopefully all pilots, spotters will have learned from this and be aware of whats going on during your pilots flight, all the years of flying and spotting, we are more concerned whats going on in the air and watching out for full scale, that we tend to forget the 2 most important part of being a spotter, and that is watching all take offs and landings for the safety of your pilot and yourself, and in the end a pilot will have his jet return with no outside situations. I think figuring out who is at blame here should end and start thinking about us being a better spotter Everyone here in this forum has at one time or another made a mistake, so let the pilots involved figure it out.

Joe C!!
ORIGINAL: David Searles

While it is really easy to get caught up in placing blame and name calling, (Sally)maybe the better use of this tragic occurrence is to learn and enact corrections to the obvious mistakes that were made.

1. Pilot barriers should actually be capable of stopping a misdirected aircraft. At Ky Jets pilots stood behind several layers of hay bales. Nothing short of a fullscale would have gotten thru those! Jorge, I think that Gulfstream woulda done it You're welcome! At CA Jets a couple years ago, one of our best pilots lost steering control of his Yellow F-18 on landing, because the nose steering arm broke.(just to show it can happen to anyone) The plane slammed at almost full speed into the heavy 2x4 and wire constructed pilot stations, and when it hit it barely moved the barrier. If the barrier is not capable of stopping the aircraft, it's useless.

2. Pilot's spotters have to be aware of what's happening around their pilots, on the ground, as well as in the air. I think being aware of the status of any aircraft taking off or on final to land should be priority ONE. Those are the aircraft closest to the pilot and therefore highest potential for danger.

3. At events, where the number of planes in the air, waiting to fly, starting up etc can get quite large, I believe there needs to be a ground controller with a bullhorn to announce all takeoffs and landings such that there is no way the pilots and spotters are not aware of what's happening. individuals do not always call their intentions loud enough for them to be heard all along the flight line. My first and only experience with the FL Jets flight line convinced me not to fly there anymore. For me, it was just way to hectic to be able to enjoy my flight. I had to go around five times on one occasion because people kept pulling out onto the runway to takeoff while I was on final. Finally had to land right over another plane on the runway starting it's takeoff run.

I know we are all concerned about the investment in time and money we have in these aircraft, but let's not lose sight of the fact that crashing a plane pales in comparison to a person suffering great bodily injury or possibly losing their life. Bob Levine is a very lucky man!! Had that plane hit him a foot or two higher, instead of just sweeping him off his feet, we might be having an entirely different discussion!
Two great posts....

Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

200 lb. water cans, easiest setup to stop a jet, maybe I should use two of them. Or maybe straw bales. Or maybe 2''x2''s with plastic netting. or maybe these guys should be standing on this side of the concrete barriers.
Sorry to here about your loss Bob, it was a great looking Jet.
Rcpete
PS, the video

Spotter yacking on the phone!!!! No Bueno!!!! To quote THE DONALD, " YOUR FIRED"!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Spotter yacking on the phone!!!! No Bueno!!!! To quote THE DONALD, " YOUR FIRED"!!!!
ORIGINAL: Dee Miller

FWIW, I was there (about 30 feet). The flight line controller warned the pilot and the spotter that a plane was landing
that had issues with the landing gear. To the controllers surprise he was ignored. There was never a question the landing
plane had issues; they were obvious to all for at least 2 laps prior to the landing. It was a bad accident that could have been
much worse.
Dee
The video reports it incorrectly; it was an event worker (yellow shirt) on the phone, the spotter was the guy in the red shirt. We're told he goes by the name Sally and he jumps like a girlyman!!!!

Doug,

You were very fortunate to have a situationally-aware spotter grab you before the F-18 nailed your pilot station. From what I hear, you did a awesome piloting job saving your plane. Sorry to hear you can't make it Mesa.

Regards,

Jim

Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

All you guys getting on the spotter and you can't even spot who the spotter is
Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I like the hay bail idea, i think that would be cheap and extremely durable for safety.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: ianober

I like the hay bail idea, i think that would be cheap and extremely durable for safety.
Just hope that none of the pilots has hay-fever !
Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A real shame to see in any event.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM
FTiano

Hi,

Here's my 2 cents.
Anytime ANY aircraft of this size has a gear problem where the pilot and caller are absolutley positive
one MAIN GEAR will not extend, be it a jet or a prop job, the pilot should consider only two courses
of action. One is to retract the gear and make a belly landing, in the adjacent grass if there is any, otherwise,
on the far side of the runway, on the hard surface. Or two, IF the gear just cannot be retracted again, the model
should be put down as far away from the runway activity as posible. Had this jet landed upright, had it not stalled,
nobody knows what the resulting trajectory might have been with one gear extended.
Certainly, with one tire spinning and one wingtip dragging, it would not have continued straight down the ruway!
Regardless of what engine powered the model.
For all future events we are considering a 4 foot high "U" shaped fixture for each pilot to stand behind while flying.
In addition to the flight line barrier. We will also remind "Callers" of their most important job. This was an unfortunate accident. It
wasn't on purpose!
Surely the pilot of the L-39 feels awful! Why do some of us feel a need to make him feel worse? Put yourself in his position. You can't
take it back, there ain't no "do-overs". I am so thankful that Bob Levine wasn't seriously injured AND pleased that he showed such class
by his reacting in a civil manner once he got over the shock of the incident.
BTW, 2010 Florida Jets, Top Gun and Monster Planes will require 2.4 radios.
FT
Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
capflyr

Pilot stations would have saved this mans plane, thank god he is alright its just $25,000.00 plane $100.00 worth of PVC and neting could have changed the outcome.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
turboratt

ORIGINAL: capflyr

Pilot stations would have saved this mans plane, thank god he is alright its just $25,000.00 plane $100.00 worth of PVC and neting could have changed the outcome.
i say the same thing they did a lousey job on safety there maybe frank should reemburse that guy for his jet lol
no but really there should have been a better safty barrier
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said a shame, with no comment about the barriers or the facilities at all, why can't the A-10 owner just make an insurance claim? Seems like he has a pretty good case that the only reason he lost the plane is the interference of the Hawk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.