Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electric smoke system - Smokewinder

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electric smoke system - Smokewinder

Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electric smoke system - Smokewinder

With the new powerful and lightweight batteries on the market, would it be possible to generate wingtip smoke generators (smokeWinders) that would generate similar smoke as what our turbines generate?

I'm thinking a solution with a coil heater fed by a smoke pump. This solution could also be used for electric jets. A centrally mounted smoke tank feeds a red hot coil in each wing tip, or a central coil in the electric jet exhaust. The coil would be sitting inside an aluminum tube, open in both ends so the airstream can push the smoke out.

I found this company http://www.nphheaters.com/quote/coil...ng_heaters.htm and they seem to have coils in all sizes.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric smoke system - Smokewinder

Hi John

Been thinking about that too. I was also looking into using a catalytic burner like the ones used in the butane soldering irons to heat a smoke manifold. I haven't found out how to make one yet.

However with the ama regs it might be easier to make a electric one. Sort of like a Lionel train smoke system on ultra high.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
xurifle06
My Feedback: (10)

Smokewinders would be the awesome. I was thinking of ways to make this work a few months back. i was thinking of coils as well as something like the kero start plug that jet cat uses. im not sure how long something like the plug would last though. Would definitely be cool if they existed though.

Rich
Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 PM
-JC-

The heating element needs some serious capacity to produce continous smoke. Not sure a butane burner would be enough.

Sounds like a project for Tam and his crew... What do you say Tam. Can you make this happen?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OK for starters do you know at what temp the smoke fluid vaporizes into smoke?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
-JC-

ORIGINAL: flyinfool1

OK for starters do you know at what temp the smoke fluid vaporizes into smoke?
The flash point for superdri is around 250F
Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Eddie Lozano

I have been thinking about doing thesame thing on my BIG F16. What about these smoke cartridges put them in a hollow tube with openning at the front to push the smoke out.

http://www.regin.com/rcsmoke.html

Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

the cruising speed for jets will dissipate the smoke too quickly on the park flyer cartridges. Tower used to sell smoke cartridges (not sure if they still do) i used 'em a few years ago on my Yellow A4 DF and they worked great.

airborne ignition via a 9 volt batt, micro switch and rocket igniter glued into fuse worked fine, pretty dense smoke for a few minutes

yup, looks like they still sell it.

FEATURES: Produces approx. 3 minutes of dense grey/white smoke No need for plumbing to exhaust, messy fluids, or residue clean-up Mount to fuselage by using a clamp (not included) in marked locations Only. Light fuse to begin smoke reaction.

INCLUDES: One Smoke-Riter Cartridge w/Ignition Fuse

SPECS: Length: 6" Weight: 6 oz (including light blue wrapper) Diameter: 1-1/2" Fuse length: 2-1/2"

COMMENTS: Smoke release holes must face ground. Smoke is TOXIC. Avoid Prolonged Exposure. Clamps to hold cartridge to the fuselage (try a hardware store).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92400.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1063129  
Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 PM
turboratt

those smokers will only work on parkflyers i tried some on a big chipmunk plane flew to fast and disipated the smoke
Old 11-01-2008, 01:28 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: -JC-

With the new powerful and lightweight batteries on the market, would it be possible to generate wingtip smoke generators (smokeWinders) that would generate similar smoke as what our turbines generate?

I'm thinking a solution with a coil heater fed by a smoke pump. This solution could also be used for electric jets. A centrally mounted smoke tank feeds a red hot coil in each wing tip, or a central coil in the electric jet exhaust. The coil would be sitting inside an aluminum tube, open in both ends so the airstream can push the smoke out.

I found this company http://www.nphheaters.com/quote/coil...ng_heaters.htm and they seem to have coils in all sizes.

John,

I've being toying with the idea of Smokewinders too. Unfortunately, I don't think these coils have enough capacity to do the trick. The manufacturer's web page is missing a couple of critical pieces of info (voltage, max amps) but doing a few calculations......

The amount of energy it takes to vaporize diesel fuel [close enough chemically to "smoke juice"] = 3340 BTU/gal = 27530 Joules/oz

The Tamjets smoke pump in my Gripen empties the 22oz tanks in about 2-1/2 minutes at the low setting -> Flowrate = .15oz/sec

Therefore the coil would have to accept 27530 x .15 = 4130 Joules/sec = 4130 Watts to vaporize the smoke juice.

Assuming that the coil happens to use the typical voltage from an ECU battery (11.1 Volts).....The coil would have to be rated for 4130/11.1 = 372 Amps (which I doubt it is).

Still, it's a fantastic idea. Keep dreaming, technology will eventually catch up. Now where did I leave those dilithium crystals????

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

which smokers? the smokeriter cartrdidge or the parkzone smoke cartridge?

ORIGINAL: turboratt

those smokers will only work on parkflyers i tried some on a big chipmunk plane flew to fast and disipated the smoke
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 AM
-JC-

I also tried the pyrotechnics type smoke cartridges. Got some big ones from a military supply store. They produced fat red smoke on the ground and at low speed, but anything over 80 mph and it was just a faint trail.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
turboratt

the park zone cartriges
Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not try and reproduce the full-size smokewinders principle? They use a burner where the smoke oil is injected at the nozzle-end, same as we do at the turbine end. In our case we could make a burner up to smokewinder diameter (ie, 1/6.8 scale F16 = 25mm), feed it by a gas canister which is lit before flight and will have just enough fuel for a complete flight and pump the smoke oil on command at the aft end of the burner nozzle. I think this is the only way of having an on/off system with enough energy to make sufficient smoke?

See here the Sanders smokewinder with below the page a downloadable manual:
http://www.sandersaircraft.com/gener...mokewinder.asp

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In RCAIR gallery from Jim Brown videos, there's one from Michigan Jets with a 339
with smokewinders. The name of the pilot is there.
Go to the site and see it.

Hector
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Gerald Rutten

Good looking! How is it done?

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 AM
MaHo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool looking...

EDF with smoke is coming
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
MaHo

any news about the MB339 smoker?!

yesterday my hot air gun died so I took the system inside and fired it up with 12S Lipo (50A@ 1,5A) and gave oil on it. It works but i think not in the air.....

regards Martin
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Search for Sebastiano Sylvestri, he has been using wing tip smoke for a while now during his IMAC/3D routines.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Dave Matthews

. . . . . . So have I with good success. Electric fired units are great fun. [8D]

Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Gerald Rutten

Nice stuf Dave, but no good for jets......

rgds,
Gerald
Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Ro

This would look sweet on one of those Demo Mig29's
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I have been thinking about how I could make my Mibo A10 have smoke come out of the gun in the front. And this has got me thinking. I wonder if I could rig a very small fan with some duct work to blow it out the front? It won't have to be on for any more than 5 seconds at a time so a giant battery is not necessary. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: hyrumflyer84

I have been thinking about how I could make my Mibo A10 have smoke come out of the gun in the front. And this has got me thinking. I wonder if I could rig a very small fan with some duct work to blow it out the front? It won't have to be on for any more than 5 seconds at a time so a giant battery is not necessary. Any ideas?

The problem is, once you light the fuse, the smoke cannot be shut off. The fan would have to be very powerful to overcome the ram-air into the blades.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM
DREAMER-RCU

If you guys read RC Jet International and can read German, then on page 39 of the Dec/Jan issue is an blurb about an electric smoke system. I went there but could not make sense out of the language.

www.smokeel-shop.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.