Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Why is BVM so darn expensive??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:48 AM
NightFlyer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is BVM so darn expensive??

I guess they are like the Ferrari of the car world. But DANG! $3895 for a "go fly" Bobcat! And even the airframe only price $2595... Someday I can afford that. Someday...[] Although being only 31 and having two kids I barely find time to fly as it is. And even the jet I have now I think I paid $1250 for, which is way more reasonable now. (and that took me like 3 months to save up for!) I guess I have to wait til the kids are a few years older to have the more expensive toys.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Why is BVM so darn expensive??

...Because most everyone else is "so darn cheap"!

Tailwinds,

John
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

If no one paid the prices, they would drop.

Simple supply and demand.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
RickeyRockstar

I have a bobcat for sale 650 plus shipping see my ad the airframe isnt that exspensive its all the other stuff you have to buy to get it off the ground that kills your wallet but if you want the BEST then you have to pay remember taking off is optional but landing is manditory.......
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
NightFlyer1

ORIGINAL: RickeyRockstar

I have a bobcat for sale 650 plus shipping see my ad the airframe isnt that exspensive its all the other stuff you have to buy to get it off the ground that kills your wallet but if you want the BEST then you have to pay remember taking off is optional but landing is manditory.......
DUDE! It's NOT BVM! Its a Falcon 120! I was like SOLD! (someone is missing a few screws to sell a BVM for $650!) til I saw the photo...
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Don't know if this helps much but BV kits are pretty much complete from a hardware standpoint. There is no running to the hobby store 10,000 times to get all the nick nack stuff. Not to mention his manuals are pretty far beyond anyone elses. The support is available almost anywhere. There are many reps in just about everystate that will bend over backwards to help you. I know this is not the same for other companies. By far means am I a "purple kool aid" person, but in this hobby I have learned the hard way. You usually get what you pay for. I recently have bought a BVM AFS t-33. I have not started to build it yet but I have gone through the manual and all of the parts. Needless to say it is very complete and very straight forward from a manual standpoint.

Hope that helps you some. I know this subject has been beat to death.

Sean
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ,100% agree with Jetfreak(Sean)
Semper Fi
Joe
Not a BVM rep. Just a Very satisfied BVM customer
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
CiprianGugu
My Feedback: (17)

Made in usa, maybe?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
handt
My Feedback: (26)

I dont know why they are expenesive because they all crash the same way and are worth the same in the end.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: NightFlyer1
I guess I have to wait til the kids are a few years older to have the more expensive toys.
LOL what is your idea of a "few years"?

Believe me, diapers are cheap!! It only gets worse!!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Amen amigo. them kids aint cheap. LOL

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: NightFlyer1
I guess I have to wait til the kids are a few years older to have the more expensive toys.
LOL what is your idea of a "few years"?

Believe me, diapers are cheap!! It only gets worse!!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Need to start another post "why are kids so darn expensive" . They dont come with everything to take care of them and they dont even come with a manual.
Scott
Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BECAUSE THEY CAN

One thing that does Piz me off about BVM kits as that to take full advantage of them you need to buy a Swiss Lathe, a CNC vertical milling machine, media blaster, 25 different types of adhesives, sealant, greases, some very expensive files made in Austria, and all sorts of homemade tools. And a good Master Card on file to buy flex plates, o-rings, and spare parts.

Yeah, the supplied hardware is pretty good and complete. Is the rest of the stuff that gets you.
Where else can you buy a $1200 wing panel?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

One thing that does Piz me off about BVM kits as that to take full advantage of them you need to buy a Swiss Lathe, a CNC vertical milling machine, media blaster,
Really? wow . . .

Dennis
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
DavidR

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

BECAUSE THEY CAN

One thing that does Piz me off about BVM kits as that to take full advantage of them you need to buy a Swiss Lathe, a CNC vertical milling machine, media blaster, 25 different types of adhesives, sealant, greases, some very expensive files made in Austria, and all sorts of homemade tools. And a good Master Card on file to buy flex plates, o-rings, and spare parts.

I guess you are building different BVM kits than I have ever built. A few permagrit files, a couple tubes of aeropoxy, and thick CA have been all I have ever used to buid a BVM jet. It's the other brands that have taxed my tool supply. BTW maybe you should work on those landings if you are going through that many flex plates!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Achillesfilho

Because they are the bests.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

My buddy broke 3 flex plates on his BobCat a few weekends ago flying off a grass field that looked like a golf course. I took a good look at one of them. It was made from what I know as "Black Phenolic" . The landings were almost "Grease jobs" and in my estimation the plates should have held up. They broke right at the holes. What a pain.

I realize that these act like a shear pin on a snow blower but you shouldn't have to replace them after every flight. Poor quality material.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

What would Jesus fly?
(WWJF)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50861.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1066711  
Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

BTW maybe you should work on those landings if you are going through that many flex plates!
No SH_T!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm told that Jesus doesn't need airplanes to fly.
ORIGINAL: Shok

What would Jesus fly?
(WWJF)

Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Harley Condra

There are some very good reasons BVM prices are higher than other American and the Asian manufacturers.
The vast majority of the BVM product line is made in Winter Springs Florida, by Americans being paid American wages.

BVM has more than 20 full time employees, many of which support families. Many of these are long time employees, with three or four of them having over 20 years longevity.

BVM pays FICA taxes, (Social Security and Medicare), federal and state unemployment insurance taxes (FUTA), and state disability taxes for each employee.
The offshore manufacturers don't have the same taxation costs or EPA problems to deal with, and their employees aren't paid at the same level the BVM employees are either.

BVM has a fairly large manufacturing facility, including a machine shop with CNC laser cutters, CNC router, lathes and mills, a paint shop, component assembly areas, composite shop, stock room, engineering facilities, office area, workshops and showroom. The aquisition costs for the equipment was high, (don't forget the necessary maintenance costs) not to mention the operating and overhead costs. BVM also has EPA permit costs for the paints and resins used in the manufacturing processes.
These costs are generally overlooked or unknown by many of the BVM detractors...they just think that Uncle Bob is getting rich off the back of their customers. Those thoughts are far from the truth.

The Ultra Bandit is made completely in Winter Springs, which explains its price....all other BVM ARF's are designed here, but sourced from abroad. All of the hardware is American made.
All of the injection molded BVM parts and pieces are made on BVM owned tooling, and comes from American companies located in the USA. The landing gear units and Duro Struts, wheels, tires and brakes, brake valves, landing gear valves etc. are also sourced from USA companies. They are assembled, bagged and tagged in the BVM factory.

The remainder of the airframe product line (non-ARF) is fabricated in Winter Springs.

And, I don't think I've ever seen a $1200.00 BVM wing panel, but "alternate and interchangeable" parts are worth the price of admission. Maybe an Ultra Bandit wing panels costs $1,200.00, but a KingCat pre-painted wing panel is only about $400 bucks retail. (I had to buy one of them last year...and it fit as good as the original).

If you visit central Florida, call Patty at 407-327-6333 to arrange a factory tour. It is a candy store for jet flyers!
See "customer service" at www.bvmjets.com for technical assistance from the BVM staff, and pictures of the showroom.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOB"s Jets are the Best, a good fly-er will get years and years of use, and when you decide to move up, you can sell it for a good price.
I wish you guys would stop buying BVM, so the price will come down, and I can buy more.
And for you guys who put BVM down, we are going to send you one of these T- shirts.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27533.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1066774  
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
GlennisAircraft

BVM pays FICA taxes, (Social Security and Medicare), federal and state unemployment insurance taxes (FUTA), and state disability taxes for each employee.
The offshore manufacturers don't have the same taxation costs or EPA problems to deal with, and their e
etc, etc. . . . .

There you go, Harley Condra answered the question - all of the U.S. mfg's are in the same boat.

Dennis
Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
jason

This question has been asked many times over the years on RCU and always by someone who has never built a BVM kit. What does that tell you? I guess B.V would start to be slightly concerned if some people who have bought from him asked the same question.

As it happens, tonight I have just dug a 6 year old Super Bandit out after a year in the attic and decided to do a "service" after 20 mins of failing to anything that was not in perfect working order I gave up and started to cycle the NiCad’s. That tells me enough to know my money is well spent.

I also have a BobCat with well in excess of 300 flights on it and its as good as the day I bought it.

There is a premium beer on sale in the UK called Stella and their motto is "Reassuringly Expensive" same goes for BVM.

Jason
Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
DavidR

Harley makes a good point that I actually forgot about but have had to use twice in my "jet career" interchangabilty of parts. On my first Balsa Bandit (#2 or 3 flying Rich Fong was number 1 and I believe Harley and I tied for #2) I blew the rudder off on the maiden flight. Servo stripped and it fluttered off. I took the vertical off Vernon Montgomery's Bandit put it on mine and flew for the rest of the weekend. Ripped a wing off Phantom on a less than stellar landing bought a new wing (around $400) and had it flying 3 weeks later. I have built a lot of models over the years and have had nothing but good experiences with BVM products. I have heard many people over the years say the same thing after they purchased their first BVM kit.

David Reid
Happy Customer and BVM Rep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.