Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Buckrell
Hi David

I saw your recent article in RCJI. It would be marvellous if you could post a diagram of your final hydraulic setup here on RCJI or otherwise make it available to those us yet to tackle that part of the build. I know you bought the Omega system but think you have supplemented hat with Hausl valves and pump/accumulator? My email is [email protected].

Cheers
Paul

Hi again Paul,

If you use the Hausl pump and accumulator, you don't need the Omega system (ECU)

I am running Hausl system and Hausl Valves, hydraulics only on gear, not on doors or any other ancillaries; retraction controlled by jetronics sequencer.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Buckrell
Hi David

I saw your recent article in RCJI. It would be marvellous if you could post a diagram of your final hydraulic setup here on RCJI or otherwise make it available to those us yet to tackle that part of the build. I know you bought the Omega system but think you have supplemented hat with Hausl valves and pump/accumulator? My email is [email protected].

Cheers
Paul
When I get a few quiet moments I will draw a diagram.

In in the meantime:

I replaced the Omega with a Hausl pump and valves.

The valves, and the down lock Festo valves, are all controlled by a Jettronics sequencer. The lock valves close when gear is down.

All flexible pipes are replaced by Festo high pressure lines.

The up and down lines to the main gear are duplicated to increase flow rate at constant pressure.

These parallel lines are are simply connected by Y fittings into the original lines.

The intakes and speed brake are locked inop and the secondary pump I installed, the Indian system is also inop. At the moment. It's increased output did not have much effect, if any, on gear speed. .

Craig,s gear works even faster than mine, great work, Craig. What battery are you using for the pump?

Keep going guys, it is a superb flier, all I need to do now is replace the main legs which are slightly bent..

Then refresh paint and detailing!

David.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Craig B.

Hi David,

Thanks. I think i was was running it on a 2 cell lipo but it was a while back so I might be mistaken. I just ran what the instructions said to do. I do have 2 cylinders acting on the nose leg.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes as Craig said I've got the some set up as him. Hausl system running two Rams on the front leg. One ram pushes the other pulls. I could not get mine to work on just one ram. The lower scale ram has lots of power at the start of retraction but loses mechanical advantage towards the end. The upper ram just gives that last bit of pull needed to get the gear up into the fuse but is useless at the start of retraction.
Whats your nose gear set up David? I have the old Rams with no internal lock but does the newer set up still require two Rams?
Craig your cycle looks great. A little quicker than mine as well. I'm running a 2 cell Life with the accumulator at 110 psi.
Cheers
Levi
Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I have just one ram on the front leg, I. am pretty sure it is an Omega ram, ( it's quite a while ago now !) and it copes Ok. Power to the pump is from the JetCat Ecu battery, a 3 cell life with accumulator pressure set at 10 bar! Still not quite as fast as Craig's, but Ok.

David.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Craig B.

Guys maybe cycle times are related to oil viscosity. I am running singer sewing machine oil in my system....only time I have ever walked into a sewing machine shop! The oil is low viscosity.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave can you please tell me which tank empties first I'm about to install the fuel tanks in my Mig 29 thank you, Nick
Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
spaceman 01

Also guys, if you have the location for the UAT tanks.
Thank you . Nick
Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
Also guys, if you have the location for the UAT tanks.
Thank you . Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759.JPG
Views:	983
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2192010  
Old 12-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Craig B.

Another shot...

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2192011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	1078
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2192012  
Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Craig B.

I found some better photos...
Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Craig B.

Another...
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
spaceman 01

Thank you Graig but I have the square tanks they sit one on top of the other, you have the round so mine is a different set up . Check the picture. This is how they are in the airplane in the center and where the bottle is that's where the nose gear rests . They are in the hump behind the cockpit.

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2192035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2192036  
Old 01-03-2017, 08:06 AM
loucel-RCU
My Feedback: (57)

Hello All,
i got my mig a few years ago from LGM graphics , did a great job in getting the kit started( well a lot of work done) and painted , after sorting out the hydraulic gear, which is working great, and the help from Craigs pictures and this thread, did have some time over the holidays to take this plane again, I'm getting ready to balance the plane and taking Lavis advise on the cg placement, my plane is coming in at 21kgs, and still need to balance!! also noticed the spring looks soft on the nose strut, almost bottoming out

i also have the new tank configuration, are you guys running one set of fuel tanks per turbine, or in series feeding both turbines,
Old 01-03-2017, 12:37 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by loucel-RCU
Hello All,
i got my mig a few years ago from LGM graphics , did a great job in getting the kit started( well a lot of work done) and painted , after sorting out the hydraulic gear, which is working great, and the help from Craigs pictures and this thread, did have some time over the holidays to take this plane again, I'm getting ready to balance the plane and taking Lavis advise on the cg placement, my plane is coming in at 21kgs, and still need to balance!! also noticed the spring looks soft on the nose strut, almost bottoming out

i also have the new tank configuration, are you guys running one set of fuel tanks per turbine, or in series feeding both turbines,

Great to hear you've got it close my friend. I was wondering what happened with it!
Old 01-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Levi Wags

[QUOTE=loucel-RCU;12292241]Hello All,

i also have the new tank configuration, are you guys running one set of fuel tanks per turbine, or in series feeding both turbines,[/QUOTE

Hello Loucel,

With the fuel tanks I'm running two seperate systems. The two smaller tanks in parallel for one turbine and the large centre tank for the other. The capacity of both systems in almost identical.

As for the landing gear. I had to cut the main gear springs as the Mig was sitting too high in the rear giving the plane a negative AOA on the ground. That will also contribute to the nose gear bottoming out. When you cut the springs though you loose recoil and the gear can get stuck in the compressed position. To fix this I put some tygon fuel tube inside the spring. This ensures the gear will rebound back out after compression. If the gear is compressed at all during retraction it will jam.

From memory I also added some tygon to stiffen up the nose gear spring as well.

It's the best scale model ever once all the problems are solved.

Cheers
Levi
Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 PM
loucel-RCU

Hello Jeremy,
yes still working at it, slowly !! had to replace some of the hydraulic push fittings for the barbed type, had a few that leaked, and sorting out the twin turbine set up!

Hello Levi, thanks for the tips, that really helps, Ill check on the spring rates,

BTW I'm using the shimano brake fluid ( bicycle grade) for the hydraulics, it works great, and not as harsh as the industrial kind, the cg balancer is calling for an extra 2kgs up in the nose, might have to re arrange things to help with this
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 AM
Levi Wags

Yes Loucel they come in tail heavy. I planned for this with the install and only needed 200 grams in the nose.
Interesting your using brake fluid. Both Craig B and I use sewing machine oil. Good to hear there are some options.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM
loucel-RCU

Hello Levi,
moved the hydraulic valves and servos under the cockpit, they where just above the nose gear, and also moved back the cg to where the orange mark is on your pic, I'm down to 500 grams in the nose,
UATs are where CraigB has them , will move the pumps further forward , hopefully Ill add less nose weight,
Old 01-10-2017, 01:54 PM
spaceman 01

Hi there, can someone tell me how they did there wiring for the leading spoilers and the flaps. What set up are you using?
thank you Nick.

I will post some picture of my progress soon.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Levi Wags

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
Hi there, can someone tell me how they did there wiring for the leading spoilers and the flaps. What set up are you using?
thank you Nick.

I will post some picture of my progress soon.
Gday Nick,
My LES are one piece per side and I'm running one servo per LES into an SBUS plug in the wing. I've got them on seperate channels to the flaps.
Originally I used the two LH sliders on the 18MZ to deploy the LES and flaps separately to make sure I was happy with the Migs handling.
Im now confident that the Mig loves full LES and Flap for landing so I've put them both on the same slider so they deploy together.

cheers
Levi
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
spaceman 01

Hi Levi,
I am running two servos on each wing for the LES and one for the flap. I have the Spectrum 18 h second gen. for radio. I don't want to run six long extension all the way to the front where the receiver is.
Is there any other way? How about a matching box from jr. Can I put three inputs to it?
thank you.
If anybody has any ideas please let me know.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Levi Wags

I guess you could put a matchbox for the four LES servos in the centre of the fuse and access it through the main gear door. That would turn four leads running to the nose into one.
In addition to that you could solder the servos in each wing inc flaps onto a nice big plug so you only have one connection from wing to fuse.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 AM
spaceman 01

Hello Graig,
can you tell me how you got the hydraulic pump until from HMT. Try with an email and there no response from them. Do they have a dealer that I can order it.
thanks, Nick
Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Craig B.

Hi Nick,

i just emailed them them directly and got a response but that was a long time ago. Maybe ring if you can in case your email finished up in junk mail folder?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.