Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:56 PM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been trying to get in touch with HP Tech to order an HPU10 by email but never get an answer. What’s the best way to place an order.
thanks
john
Old 11-05-2018, 03:26 PM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Hi John you need to email them and they will contact you with a price including shipping I paid $485 I think it worked perfect that your system is one piece is it to install any work good
Old 11-05-2018, 03:28 PM
spaceman 01

Hello Raviel, they are hydraulic .
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Craig yours is looking awesome mate. Not long now.

Nick I’ve got 25 flights on mine now over the last few years. Just flew it last weekend at a charity air show and it still gets maximum attention after all these years. It’s really a special model and apart from a single engine flame out it’s been nothing but a pleasure to fly for me. As David said I set my timer for 6 minutes and have plenty of fuel for go around. I have P140RXs and I’m using the two smaller tanks for one turbine and the larger tank for the other. Both set ups are almost identical in capacity.
Here are my settings:
Ailerons- all you can get
Elevator- 50 mil measured at elevator point next to bottom of fin
Full flap- 50 mil
Rudder- 30 mil each way
LEF- 20 mil full down
CG- 20 mil forward of the leading edge of the main wing spar, dry- gear down- headers full
I”ve played around with lots of different settings but have found these work best for me. However you could mix in some tailerons with aileron to improve roll authority.
You’ll love this old lady mate ��
Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 AM
spaceman 01

Thank you, Levi.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin

Nick, my Mig has jetcat 140 engines and I set the timer for 6 minutes which allows ample reserves for a couple of go arounds. You may be able to add a couple of minutes with experience.

The Mig flies beautifully with tailerons so do let us know how it goes with ailerons.

Nice paint scheme and good luck with flying.

Craig, your gear looks perfect, please advise pump/ battery combo as it’s faster than my setup.

Mine me will be flying again soon with the superb Futaba servos you recommended.

Thanks for the tip !

D.

ps you guys might be advised to glue the tyres to the wheel hubs. The original tyres expand with centrifugal force and almost leave the hubs.
Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. I am using the Häusl pump with the pressure accumulator... the all in one unit that is mounted in the aluminium housing. I am running it off a 2 cell lipo at 10bar. I have two cylinders on the nose. The scale one is good for down lock but has poor geometry for retraction. The top cylinder in the nose retract is good for retraction but not great for down lock so I have the best of both worlds there. I am pretty sure Levi has the same set up.

I will see if I can find a pic of my layout in the front.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Craig B.

Here is a pic of my layout under the cockpit....

Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 AM
Craig B.

Here’s a vid of my canopy setup....

Old 11-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by ravill
I love how busy the gear look going in and out! Awesome! Are they electric?
all hydraulic Rav. Forgot how many times I sat there flicking the great switch in and out! I could watch that gear all day long!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:29 AM
hemi

Craig
Thats such a major accomplishment and the door fit looks so good. Hopefully I’ll be able to experience that someday too
Old 11-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Looks great. Good looking gear door fits.... Where did you get the landing light on the main door?
Hi Matt, sorry I just saw your post. I bought the unilight system after considering that D4S disappeared. I had bought the D4S system but thought better of installing it in case I needed replacement parts. The main door lights are 25mm diameter and the nose light is 20mm. I will post some pics. I did not have the parts for the scale lights like Levi’s Mig does. His are more scale but these unilights are awesome and I think they look ok. What do you think? I like their controller too... once I got the hang of programming it it was easy. Just needed to select the right comm port in the pc software ( I am a Mac guy so it took me a bit to sus that out!)

its great to see some life back in this thread. Such an awesome model. Nothing like it around.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Craig B.

Don’t look too closely at my Ali mount for the nose leg light....it has not been smoothed off and is not that flash but I could not be bothered remaking it at this stage..... gotta get this thing in the air. Main light mounts I made out of G10.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:08 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The lights look great to me. Did you do the extra aluminum welding that Fiberclassics spec'd on the nose gear?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Craig B.

Not yet Matt. Can you clarify where that should be? I vaguely recall the need to weld the ends of the side stays ( they seem only epoxied to the main struts at this stage).

David, Nick and Levi, what did you guys do on yours?

Re the lights, Levi and Nick have the scale housings on theirs that I think look much better but I am satisfied with what I ended up with. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand right?

Last edited by Craig B.; 11-06-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by hemi
Craig
Thats such a major accomplishment and the door fit looks so good. Hopefully I’ll be able to experience that someday too
Thanks Hemi, that side is pretty good, the other side not quite so good.

Thanks Levi, she is getting there mate. Great info on the throws etc. thanks for getting that out there for us.

I have put functional ailerons on ons on mine but have set her up with tailerons in the igyro and have mixed in the ailerons on their own channel. Gyro will only work on the tail but I think that will be ok. I guess if I programmed the pwm nodes for the 8911s on the ailerons to listen to the aileron channel I could achieve gyro control of them too but I have the ailerons on their own channel for ease of adjustment at this stage.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:05 AM
AlexKuys

Default control throws

Hi Levi
Thanks for control throws.If using tailerons without ailerons whats throw for aileron and where is neutral point for elevators.
Thaks
Alex
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex if you line up the elevator with the recess bit moulded into the fuse that’s a good starting point. You won’t need much if any trim from there.
I don’t have any taileron mix so can’t help you there. I suggested to Craig mixing some taileron in with aileron would improve roll authority when slow. Mine is fine but my ailerons are maxed out. I don’t want to change anything now as I’m happy with the set up but if starting again I would add some taileron.
Craig your lights look great mate. Your overall set up is all class. I made my lights out of maglight torch lenses and an aluminium housing. They look good but a lot of mucking around.
Alex don’t forget to set your aileron neutral point deflecting up about 2 mil both sides.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:26 AM
AlexKuys

Levi
My ailerons are fixed.,
Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 AM
hemi

Craig
Did you use the carbon doors from Peter? I installed the original doors and the really don’t fit well. I have the doors from Peter but have to get motivated to start over.

HP tech replied to my email so now I can order my pump.

Im sure glad this thread is active again. The only thing missing is Ro building another Mig. Come on Ro, jump back in with another Mig.

Nick, good luck this weekend on your first flight.

John
Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 AM
spaceman 01

John Thanks, but the weather does not look good.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 AM
hemi

Nick
i understand since I live in Michigan. You may still catch a break.
john
Old 11-07-2018, 11:25 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Not yet Matt. Can you clarify where that should be? I vaguely recall the need to weld the ends of the side stays ( they seem only epoxied to the main struts at this stage).
David, Nick and Levi, what did you guys do on yours?

Re the lights, Levi and Nick have the scale housings on theirs that I think look much better but I am satisfied with what I ended up with. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand right?
I pulled out the instructions, the weld was to be at the junction of the yoke and the actual strut. If the "stays" you are referring to are the side "struts" (i dont know what to call them either), those arent welded. I am afraid to weld this as that strut is very thin and in my experience for every good aluminum TIG welder there are 100 crappy ones.

I got one side main retract to go, using the Hausl system, and Peter's CF doors, then I took a break to rest, I think this was in 2006. I should be rested and ready to restart the other side in about 2020.

Last edited by mr_matt; 11-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

If you think the side stays are the pieces that connect the rams to the legs, great.

What I did after the settings were made and the extensions locked was to form a fillet of aeropoxy around the joint.
So far this has stood up to all landings.

For first flights: With the c of G and control throws set , I found that holding about 1/3 up elevator gave a smooth rotation and lift off when the jet was ready.

After that the modell is a *****cat to fly and land.

If if you lose an engine feed in full opposite rudder, it’s totally controllable.

Good luck, guys !

PS Matt, there are two things in life you just can’t rush, finishing the Mig is the other one !

Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by hemi
Craig
Did you use the carbon doors from Peter? I installed the original doors and the really don’t fit well. I have the doors from Peter but have to get motivated to start over.

HP tech replied to my email so now I can order my pump.

Im sure glad this thread is active again. The only thing missing is Ro building another Mig. Come on Ro, jump back in with another Mig.

Nick, good luck this weekend on your first flight.

John
Hey John, yes I did use them but had to heat told them a bit. I think next time I will just lay carbon up inside the fuse and cut out the doors for a perfect fit (yes you did read that right, I have another mig to build...am I crazy?!)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Craig B.

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
If you think the side stays are the pieces that connect the rams to the legs, great.

What I did after the settings were made and the extensions locked was to form a fillet of aeropoxy around the joint.
So far this has stood up to all landings.
Hi David, Matt was referring to the nose leg where it exits the yolk....is yours welded there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.