Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Mig29

I've been working steady on my Mig. This kit is number 18 so its Fiberclassics. I just ordered a set of Mig wheels and brakes from Glennis. Since the width of the mains are 1.700" and the originals are 2.225" they should fit much better and simplify some of the main gear adjustments. Here are a couple of questions for anyone out there that built this kit.
1. To level the model I mounted my robart incidence meter on the carbon fiber wing rods and then set the model at 0. As I view the model from the side it does not look level to me. I need to know this to insure the mians are set at 10 degree's rake forward and the nose gear is set at 3 degree's rake back. Since the wing may have some incidence in it I could end up with the gear measurements being off if the wing is not set at zero. Any thoughts?

2. I don't have the intairco doors and have not been able to contact them. I did a carefull job of cutting the doors from the fuselage and have a decent fit on the small doors, but the big doors are a joke. If I get a good fit at the front edge the rear of the door on the outside edge is lower that the fuse skin by at least an 1/8". If I messed up the installation of the inner door skin then I'm consistant because I have the same issue on both sides. I know glass parts cut from a fuse with complex curves tend to change shape when they are cut free and I was hoping the inner doors would control the shape but I was wrong. Are the Intairco doors stable and do the fit the curves of the fuse well. Has anyone besides Wolfgang ever got a good fit on original doors. I have a picture of Mig number 1's doors that I took at Superman and the gaps are not very tight.

Best regards

John
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Paul Buckrell
My Feedback: (2)

Hemi

Peter Agnew, Ro and I are all using Robart 5 1/4" main wheels and brakes. We have had to machine new parts for the bottom of the main struts to hold the Robart brake hub pins. These wheels give good clearance and it is very hard to see the difference between 5.5" and 5 1/4". I had heard from someone that has them that the Glennis MiG-29 wheel brakes are not very good. Also the main wheels are quite heavy. Ro and I have bought just the Glennis nosewheels because they are slimmer than the ones in the kit and will ease the clearance problem past the nosegear doors on retraction.

1. I have not set my main struts yet. Ro has and they look perfect. He is going to give me a hand with mine. Hope he can comment for you.

2. Ro and I both have the Intairco doors. They are made in carbon fibre so very stiff and molded off the fuselage before it was cut open. It could be that Peter Agnew at Intairco is on holiday (its is summer down here!). If you send him an email I',m sure he will answer you as soon as he gets back. He's a really helpful guy. Ro has his doors fitted and they are great.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
hemi

Paul

Thanks I'll keep trying Peter. Tell Ro I said he needs to get back to work on his Mig or I'll catch up with him.

Best regards

John
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Ro

Hi Paul,

I will be back on her over the weekend John!

Not sure I have much to add to what Paul has pointed out for you. Try and use a shim or two on your main gear mount blocks if needed. Using them helped me get the angles I was after.

Check the length of your main strut ram clevises. You may find that the length of the ram on the right side may need to be different on the left side! I played with the sliding
arm on the main strut till I was happy then marked it where it worked best for me and had it welded. It plays a major part in controlling the forward rake. Just make sure when retracted
it clears the door/frame.

Best,
Ro
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 AM
hemi

Ro
My kit for some reason did not have the plastic ball links for the front of the main gear rams but had 3mm metal ones for the front and 4mm for the rear. The rams center to center should be 173 - 175 MM. Mine were longer at 178. I shortened the rear ball and set the length at 174. I used one shim on the right side and had no trouble setting it up. The left strut lower plate as your looking at it with the plane upside down has one bolt hole that is off a lot when I get the strut position right. Not sure whats up with that. Peter responded to me last night, I'm going to order his doors. The stock doors move all over every where when they are cut free and the inner door shells will not bring them back into position. I'll work on something else while I wait for the doors.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

I had heard from someone that has them that the Glennis MiG-29 wheel brakes are not very good
Be careful who you get information from - not everyone is on the level. Our brake is probably the best on these large models, and certainly has been used the longest of any. If there is an issue they should contact us for support.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
hemi

Hi Dennis
I have an open mind on the brakes and have quite a few friends that use them on there jets and like them. Besides if they give me any issues I know you'll offer any tech support I may need. Can't wait to get my wheels and brakes.

RO
I ordered the Intairco doors. Probably take a bit to get here, on to something else on the Mig. There is always something to do.
Best regards

John
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Ro

Hi John,

Yeah, I dont think the mount holes for the gear are perfect but taking the time to play with all adjustable point will get you where you want it to be. I just kept double checking and adjusting till it looked perfect to me.

I managed to get up early and get all my canopy glass in. I used an extra piece of lexan for a test fit and trimmed it til it fit the forward wind screen frame nice, then I used that piece to as a stencil to cut out the final piece for the front wind screen.

Using those doors from Intairco made easy work of installing them doors!

Whats left to do: mount hydraulic system, rudders, flaps, taileron setup, exhaust nozzles, mounting bolts for wings & vert. stabs, install all electronics and a few minor details here and there.

this is the exact aircraft I'm doing. I like the fact this scheme has not been done yet. looks pretty good and will be easy to paint!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
hemi

Hi Ro

Another day working on the Fulcrum, what a neat model. Good idea on the glass. Did you do the rear canopy hinge yet? I was looking at it just before I came up stairs. Its going to be an intricate cut to remove the rear portion of the canopy frame and I want to have a fresh mind. I haven't settle on a paint scheme yet. Yours almost looks like its Flanker light blue grey, I like it.

Here's a few pictures I like.

Best regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66763.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1117557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76310.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1117558  
Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Cooper
My Feedback: (4)

Gentlemen

You are both doing a very good job with your posts. Have either of you got a really good idea to duplicate the IRST infared sensor on the nose?

Best regards

Greg Anixter
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Ro

Greg: I was planning on making something up from scratch or contacting Heiko Gartner to see if he offers this part. Paul and I have purchased a set of scale bits from him in the past. They are super nice accessories!
scoops, antennas, landing light frames, beacons etc. Marc Froehn of Composite Arf can get them for you.

John: yep, the rear hinge is all done. I'm not making mine automated though! I will post some picks for you on how I rigged everything up.

Best,
Ro
Old 01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Cooper
My Feedback: (4)

Sir

I saw Heiko's parts on a photo. Very nice. That is a focal point of this plane and deserves a great part. I considered buy some mirrored lenses to make one.

BRG

GA
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
hemi

Cooper

I have so much work to do with basic construction that I'm saving that for the detail work before paint.

Ro

I'll tackle the canopy in the morning, whats the chance that you might be able to scan the template for the windscreen and email it to me. That would save me the time from going throught the same steps.

I worked on the carbon mounting rods for the fins and since 'm using the original hydraulics I mounted my servo to the main landing gear valve and tested it. I also have spent a lot of time tracing the oil circuits to make sure I understand how the hydraulics work. I suspect all my time of reading transmission oil charts and bleeding hydraulic systems will pay off. Never thought I'd be doing this work on a model.

Best regards
john

Name:	Tq48693.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1117636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71567.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1117637  
Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM
JET FX

Has anyone seriously looked into converting the gear to pneumatic using the Matrix locking modification, looks like it would be a lot less headache to setup and maintain-
http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id13.html

Probably will be able to install a couple of 10kg EDF's in my one by the time I get around to finishing her off....

Cheers- Marty

Name:	Tr49715.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1117784  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Ro

hey John, Will scan it tonight and flick you an email. Pm me your email when you can.

Looks slick Marty! I think the new hydraulic setup from comp-arf is pretty solid now.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 AM
hemi

Jet FX
Matrix Machine is owned and operated by my friend John. He does great work. He told me he was going to expand his Mig 29 options and make a complete set of gear. Since he already makes gear for the AD SU35 its not a big leap for him to make a complete gear set for our Migs. I'm going to play with the original hydraulic system just to see if I can do it. When John finishes the complete Mig gear set, I'm planning on buying a set. I sold John an SU27 that I built up to primer that I own the moulds for. Its 1/9 scale and he used this to design the SU gear. Its a little smaller than the Mig but not much. He has powered it with two ds94 edf fans and will fly it this summer. EDF is a potential option for the Migs and some of them really sound good. I want to see the SU go first and see what the thrust to weight ratio is before I make that choice.

Well its time to go work on the Fulcrum.
Have a great day everyone and keep building.

Best regards
Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Ro

Hey guys,

getting close?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Ro

canopy is all done this is an older image. what i did is use CA and spot glue the glass then tape off and put a seal of hysol around the edge as you can see the this light colored stirp around the glass.

Wheels, brakes, door.

Heiko's Parts!!

canopy

strut and robart wheels&brakes setup

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 AM
Ro

I was lucky that a friend (Paul Buckrel) was kind enough to machine the parts needed to make the robart parts fit.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Ro

another shot of the canopy kit!

canopy glued
Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 AM
hemi

Ro
Nice work, where did you get the landing lights and accessories? I need a set for mine. I'll take some pictures of mine and add them as well. As inspiration here is shot I took at Superman in 2000 of Wolfgang taxing out with Mig #2. I was also there in 1999 when he flew #1. I'll look for a picture, I know I have some.

Best regards

John

Name:	If10857.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1119881  
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ro,

Your Mig is looking great. Where did you get your cockpit kit from?

Regards,

Craig.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Ro

Thanks Craig, picked up the cockpit from David Mosher of Airasys Models.

Hey John, got the accessories from Heiko Gartner through Marc Froehn of Comp-Arf.
cant wait to see more pictures!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Ro

John, have you come close to picking a scheme yet?

Hey Craig, The elevator tube was a peice of cake to get out and the new one in. Im happy I decided to fix this angle now. Was going to be lazy and let it slide
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
hemi

Ro
Not yet, there so much to chose from. I can tell you one thing it will be some sort of camo with a touch of weathering. Tell me about the elevons, was the anhedral off side to side or both. I checked mine along time ago and I thought it was OK but I'll check it again. I'll post some pictures soon.
Best regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.