Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Graupner GB80 spool-up time??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Graupner GB80 spool-up time??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:57 PM
niteman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner GB80 spool-up time??

Wondering if anyone can comment on the real-life spool up time who owns or has owned a G-booster 80 plus compared to other turbines in that class such as a Jetcat P70 etc... ??

Is the spool up time exceptionally quick, like jetcat's SE series ??

How is the customer service/support over at xtreme power systems (GB dealer) ??

Appreciate the replies, Dan
Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Graupner GB80 spool-up time??

I can't speak for the G80 but my G130 is lightning fast, so fast that when install in the bypass, I had to slow it down just a tad so it wouldn't compressor stall becasue my inlet area is so small in my plane. Outside on a test stand or open air install is 2-stroke speed, so to speak. I will also say Scott at XPS will bend over backwards if you have any problems, and their shipping to & from Germany if you need anything for service is a very quick, couldn't ask for more so far. My engine has around 35 cycles on it and its been rocksolid.

Justin
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 PM
niteman

Thanks Justin for the helpful feedback.

I'm glad yours is working out well and that your very satisfied with the support from Scott.

The spec's across all of GB line are very impressive on thrust to weight ratio, internal kero-start, fuel consumption, warranty, etc....., but its really means nothing without long-term reliablity and support from a dealer with friendly customer service here in the U.S. (ie; like the jetcat guys).

Any other GB owners please chime in on "real-user" spool-up speed comparisons, reliabilty, and your level of satisfaction with the XPS guys like Justin provided would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IĀ“ve flown a Baby Boomerang with G-80 and as it replaced a Wren MW54 mk 3 it meant brutally more thrust (1:1 power-to-weight) , very fast spooling time and reliability with the same turbine weight. I still use the "soft" throttle response-the "hard" offers still faster acceleration which I donĀ“t need now. The time I havenĀ“t clocked, but from idle to full blow IĀ“d say 2-3 seconds. But moving the stick any slower than fast, it responds like an electric motor, really. The kerostart can burn the tail of the Boomerang-style model if the elevator is not protected somehow during the start sequence. Mine has aluminium tape and thats enough. Surprisingly its sound is quite different from Wren. The ECU needs almost no adjustments when the FADEC needs a lot. I just added some glow time to the start sequence and it starts well also in colder weather. Nice turbine indeed. Next it will power an Avonds F-104. Philippe also has a G-80 in his.

Tuomas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73677.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1073204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14867.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1073205  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
niteman

Hi Tuomas,

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else happy with XPS or their G-Booster turbine ?? Comments please !!

Thanks, Dan