Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you install your undercarriage?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you install your undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM
johnls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you install your undercarriage?

I wondered what is the concensus of opinion with regard to installing undercarrige in a wing. I know that with ARTF aircraft you have little choice, but where you do have a choice is it best to make the whole undercarriage bay as strong as possible and bolt the landing gear in, or is it best to accept that not every landing will be perfect and a weak link should be built in to save the wing, ie screw the gear in, etc? in the hope that in a bad landing the screws would give first.
Any thoughts?

John
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: How do you install your undercarriage?

I have a lot of experience with bad landings, finally, here is a question I can answer with confidence

The best way to go is to have a solid LG mount with some machine / metal screws tapped into the wood. Start with 4/40 / or 3-4mm. If a bad landing get the screw loose, you can always remove the screw, add CA and tap again. Worst case, you can go to a larger screw. This works for me but I fly relatively small jets (17-24 #) and from tarmac. I suspect this won't work from a grass field.

Arnaud
Old 11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use trailing link struts and it'll soften most of the hard landings.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i saw some photos last year where a guy had used a bolt with washer and spring to hold down the retract to the wood..
i guess he fine tuned the tension so the force to move this springs is biger than the one to compres the leg full in...

this way you can save trunion and wood mount....but you know what they say...if you are good you can brake anythink!

hysol your woods ..get trailing link struts and "abort + go around " if nesecery for a better landing

sorry for the bad english
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

The designer of the hugely successful Boomerang series swears by the "screw" method as a built in "fuse" that will blow before the rails get ripped out. Even on the XL version (35+lbs) he specs servo screws for mounting the gear. It just didn't seem right to me so I asked him specifically about that point, and he re-affirmed the method. I have read EVERY post regarding EVERY Boomer in the series and cannot recall the gear mounting ever being an issue, so I suppose it's safe to believe that the man knows what he's talking about
Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where the space is available I prefer the carbon flex plate with wood screws holding the carbon to the wood rails front and back. Not my original idea, I got it from the BVM T-33. First the flex plate has some give and as a last resort the flex plate pulls the wood screw out of the wood rails.

Once I ran my Boomerang intro off the end of the runway and hit a praire dog hole. That pulled the wood screws out of the mounting plate and no other damage. In this case the Spring Air nose gear is screwed to the wood plate.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practice practice practice and you wont have to worry about your landing gear. No system obviously is bullet proof but I have been moving to self tapping wood screws. They provide more than enough grip for the gear but in case you dork it they would pull out easier than bolts and maybe, just maybe, leave your rails in there.

I would first suggest solving the ultimate problem though, land proficiently each time
Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If undercarriage damage is a concern my answer is just 2 words: wire legs.

I persevered with solid struts for a while & was forever fixing something after less than perfect landings & rough strips. Once I built a bender that can bend coils in 1/4 wire the rest was easy.

Obviously you cannot bend big wire to a very small radius so you will need an axle adapter at the bottom of the leg. If you like fancy looking undercarriage legs the adaptors can be made pretty. - John.