Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dulling finish with 000 steel wool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dulling finish with 000 steel wool

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dulling finish with 000 steel wool

I asked once before about how to scrub some of the shine off a flex-n-flat painted surface that had not come out flat, and some of you guys mentioned using 000 steel wool.

Now that I have finally gotten around to being ready to actually do something about this, I have another question : do you guys use it dry, or use it with water / soapy-water, or rubbing compound, or wot ?

Thanks,
Gordon
Old 11-26-2008, 11:06 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dulling finish with 000 steel wool

i use 4/0 (0000) dry. then a coat of paste wax after that to bring it back a little, and seal everything. works great.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:51 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I used 000 dry to remove enamel paint from the panel lines when I am painting them. I do believe there is a flattening agent you can add to 2060 though Gordo to make it dead flat. I may actually have some.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Gordon Mc

Thanks guys - I'll try it dry and see how that comes out.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this for the SEPECAT?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Is this for the SEPECAT?
Unfortunately, no ... I've been too busy with work etc to do anything on the Jag since about May. Hopefully over my 'forced week off' over Xmas -> New Year I can start on the Jag again.

This is just for the Hunter. When I originally did the clearcoat, I got serious fish-eye over one of the big roundels on the wing (guess I didn't clean it enough). I sanded through the mess, put a new roundel on, and squirted the flex-n-flat again on that wing. For whatever reason, this second layer came out shiny. (One or two other guys reported the same issue when you lay flat over itself - dunno why). So, the Hunter has been flying with one dull wing and one shiny one.

As a first step back into my garage I figured I'd sort the Hunter out for next year's flying season. I put in the reworked retracts that Sean Reitmeyer did for me (works great - thanks Sean !), flushed the tanks and replaced loads of fuel tubing, did some general tidy-up, and then figured it was at long last time to try to make both wings appear similarly dull.

I've found that the steel wool does a nice job in some areas ; in other areas where I have a little orange-peel (did I mention I'm a lousy painter ?) it just exaggerates the orange peel by dulling the high spots and leaving the low spots glossy. In those areas I've experimented with some cutting compound on the steel wool to kind of 'fill the voids' with something abrasive. Won't win me any top-gun awards, but that's fine.

Gordon
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

On orange peel you may be better off with 1000 grit wet sanding. With the steel wool try staying with 0000 and go easy when you rub. The scratch pattern on 000 can catch you by surprise. Depending on paint steel wool does not always produce the dulling effect you might want, it can actually create a semi gloss shine. One other trick is to steel wool and then work in some ground up medium gray pastel, this can be rubbed in with a tissue. It would have to be sealed with a very light overspray of clear coat.
Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I use a scotch brit pad, Red, On an F=15 I built for a guy that came out too shiney, worked great. Diddn't remove any paint like Steel wool would. Just dulled the finish.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
flyexperimental

I would use a white scotch brite with surface prep (mild detergent with a small amount of abrasive available at auto paint supply) If still too shiny go to a grey scoth brite.Red scotch brite is about 320 grit,pretty rough by my standards.White scotch brite is the most mild of the three.This is done wet.
Joe
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Gordon Mc

Thanks for all the info guys. I will see what the currently reworked surface looks like in sunlight, and maybe try a Scotchbright if I am not yet happy with the results.