Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Nano!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Nano!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Dave Bugz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

Rcpete its a great jet, hope you enjoy it as much as i do. Looking Good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz79026.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1614751   Click image for larger version

Name:	ni24122.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	1614752   Click image for larger version

Name:	qv53537.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	5.33 MB
ID:	1614753  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 AM
budjet

anyone had any issues with booms on the nano,not flown mine yet due to crap weather but watched a mate fly his in strong crosswinds and i swear you could see the booms flexing in flight,also heard of a few booms cracking on just a bumpy landing.had a look at mine and the balsa the booms are made of does feel very soft,as i said not flown mine yet guess time will tell.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Mick

No, eight Nano's in the PMFC club and no issues, very much doubt they flex! I have been doing negative snaps and tight square loops with mine and no issues. Yes the booms are light balsa, if they are not squeezed they will be fine. The booms are very deep in section and as if the wings are pushed up tight against the booms the "box" made with the tail bolted on will keep things tight.

Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Veritech

Ok guys, I decided on getting the Rabbit KS for my Nano, picked it up today from Andy Low at Electrodynamics. I have it all fitted without too much fuss but now I am wondering how far back to mount the motor. I know I should mount it as far forward as possible for CG but if I do that the tail pipe does not stick out the back end and I am a little worried about heat back there being this is all balsa on the back end.

So should I slide it back so the tail pipe sticks out a little bit or should I slide it in as far forward as I can for CG and not worry about the radiant heat?

ORIGINAL: Veritech

Thanks Guys. I am going to decide on either the Rabbit or the Bee II in a week or so. I downloaded a full size Dimensional Drawing of the Rabbit and it cut it out and placed it in the fuze. It looks like it would take just a little grinding on the mounts and former at the front to get it to fit. Now I wonder about fuel, I was planing on fitting a 64 Oz juice bottle plus a UAT. I am hoping to get 8 minutes if I detune it to 12-14#'s.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, I have a p-60 in my Nano, every thing, including the turbine is as far forward as possible, batteries in the forward compartment. No lead was used to balance, just made it.
Your Rabbit is 5 1/4 Oz's. heavier than the P-60, That's ugly, maybe a lb. of lead in the nose. But you do need a larger battery for kero start, that will be a tight fit.
Should have bought a Sprint.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50968.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1615044  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Veritech

Thanks RCPete, yeah I know the Rabbit is a bit heavy for the Nano but I bought that before the Rabbit and had a hard time just getting a Bee II since the Rabbit was only a little more money and gives 5 more pounds of thrust so I can use it in other airframes after I tire of the Nano.

Speaking of batteries, this Rabbit came new from Jet Central as a KS engine and with a 3 cell A123 so unfortunately the batteries are kind of light to begin with.

Guess I will mount it as far forward as I can and just add an additional coat of BVM Heat shield to the back end.

-Randy
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Jim Patrick

Pete, which series retract gear is that??
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI, Robart 520 RS tri gear 90 deg.rail mount nose robostrut ready
Rcpete
Advantage hobby
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
cavandish

Ok guys, I decided on getting the Rabbit KS for my Nano, picked it up today from Andy Low at Electrodynamics. I have it all fitted without too much fuss but now I am wondering how far back to mount the motor. I know I should mount it as far forward as possible for CG but if I do that the tail pipe does not stick out the back end and I am a little worried about heat back there being this is all balsa on the back end.

So should I slide it back so the tail pipe sticks out a little bit or should I slide it in as far forward as I can for CG and not worry about the radiant heat?

Thanks Guys. I am going to decide on either the Rabbit or the Bee II in a week or so. I downloaded a full size Dimensional Drawing of the Rabbit and it cut it out and placed it in the fuze. It looks like it would take just a little grinding on the mounts and former at the front to get it to fit. Now I wonder about fuel, I was planing on fitting a 64 Oz juice bottle plus a UAT. I am hoping to get 8 minutes if I detune it to 12-14#'s.

I have a wren 70 mounted as far forward as possible(the starter nearly touches the dubro tank) my uat(made from a small glow tank) is about 250 ml, this is towards the front of the component board, this set up requires no ballast to ballance the plane perfectly.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

ORIGINAL: traxxas

Nothing under the tank.

Without straps fitted, the edges of the tank just touch the 'stringers' in the canopy, and as you say I can easily trim a bit off the wood. I was just curious if I have tank that was slightly oversize.

I have thought about fitting that Kevlar one I see listed on your site if its a better fit.
Sorry, I missed this.
Looking at the photo, maybe the top has a slight dip there, my Nano has the same tank at the moment and it fits fine. The Kevlar tank does fit well, it's designed around the whole space. With the 50oz Dubro and mixed flying on a P-60 we get 6-6.30 mins, on the Kevlar 8-9minutes of mad and 10 plus mixed

Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Veritech

Thanks cavandish. I ended up mounting the Rabbit as far forward as I thought practical and the starter is about 1/4" from the rear fuel tank former. I also moved everything I could forward and only had to add about 3 oz of lead under the nose gear to balance. I maidened it yesterday and after 2 successful flights I think it is slightly nose heavy so the additional weight might come out before it's next flight

There also didnt seem to be any heat issues, the canopy was just slightly warm after the flights.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, my Nano came out great and is a blast to fly. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some.

-Randy

[/quote]

I have a wren 70 mounted as far forward as possible(the starter nearly touches the dubro tank) my uat(made from a small glow tank) is about 250 ml, this is towards the front of the component board, this set up requires no ballast to ballance the plane perfectly.
[/quote]
Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM
traxxas

Are you guys that are fitting the Dreamworks Pro-Link struts set managing to get the nose retract to lock in the up position when bolted on to the existing mount? Or are you raising the retract with packing?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM
traxxas

Just doing the final assembly of my nano, a few things to check like the CofG and set the throws. However, I've noticed that the Carbon Wing Spar is very loose and its actually 0.4mm smaller in diameter than the tube in the wing sections.

Anyone else had this issue?

I was wondering if I have an undersize carbon spar, however its seems to be exactly 3/4 inch diameter, so the tube inserted in the wing had too large Inside diameter?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of things you can do to improve the fit, spray the tube with a two pack paint if its way out or just a normal rattle can paint if its only a little bit undersize, or even wrap the tube in tape or heat shrink, all will work.

Mike
Old 07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Gordon W

I had some fun with mine today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMC5zduZykE

Gordon
Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Gordon, Great flying man!!! Got to get me one of those Nano's.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Gordon W

You've gotta do it Hooky!

Best value jet flyin' on the planet

Gordon
Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mount it back far enough that the tailpipe just barely sticks out past the ply former to keep the heat out of the fuse. see my pics back when. That will force you to put the UAT and pump way forward. It flies with the weight just fine
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Veritech

Haha, thanks Goose but a little late, I have been flying it for the past month. Even got 8 flights on it at Winamac

Also I didn't have to add weight, have the UAT and batteries all the way forward and CG came out ok.

You going to Kentucky Jets? If so I will be down there with Andy on Wednesday evening, I will have it in the Electrodynamics booth which I think is in one of the big tents this year.

-Randy
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
kwb

Anybody in the UK got a spare silver (if possible) Nano servo cover or know where i can get one. I need the one for the elevator (when looking at the cover with the servo pushrod opening facing away from you the fairing in on the right hand side.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
traxxas

ORIGINAL: kwb

Anybody in the UK got a spare silver (if possible) Nano servo cover or know where i can get one. I need the one for the elevator (when looking at the cover with the servo pushrod opening facing away from you the fairing in on the right hand side.

Thanks
Are these the same thing?

http://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Ge...cessories.html
Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the Nano covers the same size as those on the Sprint, if so I think I have some in the workshop somewhere, let me know.

Mike
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: traxxas

Are you guys that are fitting the Dreamworks Pro-Link struts set managing to get the nose retract to lock in the up position when bolted on to the existing mount? Or are you raising the retract with packing?
no, it wont.. just sits against the deck most of the time. you can add one washer under, but I didnt worry about it.. its never failed to release
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Are the Nano covers the same size as those on the Sprint, if so I think I have some in the workshop somewhere, let me know.

Mike
It looks like to me that the Elan, sprint, and nano all have the same size servo covers/mounts. I carry spares from my nano.

call patricia for spares if in US. in UK, I would assume call BJets..
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
gooseF22

We put a bunch of flights on the Wren 70 Nano this weekend. I have Todds gear. I need a stronger servo in the nose gear thats for sure.. I am flying the aircraft with a little more nose weight than it calls for in the book. my CG is about 1/4 inch in front of the book. I added a couple ounces to get there. I did that because it sticks when it hits alot better. the nose gear is soft, and it can be short field landed and no bouncy.. and it gets pitch sensitive otherwise...

I can pull some nose weight out simply by using a lighter turbine battery, I have a couple to choose from.. but I like the way it flies a little nose heavy...

the exact opposite from the Elan.. funny.. I liked it a little AFt, so it would wheelie..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.