Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F18 Sim model?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F18 Sim model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Big feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster F18 Sim model?

Hi,
Sorry to post again, I put my original question in the sim section, but wondered if I might have more luck here.
I have both G3.5 and Aerofly pro deluxe. is there a Skymaster F18 model available for either of these sims?
I picked up a SM F18 a few months ago while flying my Elan at the British Nationals, and would like to spend some sim time if possible.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11110.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	1084755  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
NUNU

Default RE: Skymaster F18 Sim model?

so far no...but you know what the f15 on real flight flies pretty close to the real thing...for this bird make sure the cg is correct or a tad nose heavy and it will rock, the rudder works like an aileron ask anyone who flies one and actually tried to use it ...good luck
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
icepilot

If you have the Aerofly PD, you can find almost any jet model (within reason) here:

http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/

That includes an F-18. Just download the file, extraxt the files to a new folder with the plane's name and
place it in the Aircraft directory of the simulator (Under C:/Program files/IPACS)

If you can't find the F-18, send me a PM with your mail adress and I will mail it to you.

Tor
Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Big feet

Thanks guys,
icepilot, I have that F18 from the rc-sim site, but it feels like a real floater to me, and having flown a ducted fan F18 years ago, just don't expect the SM F18 to be anything like that. If anyone has flown both a SM and the rc-sim version I would love to hear your thoughts on how they compare.
NUNU, thanks for the heads up on the rudders.

I'm still hopping for a sim version,

Cheers,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have it on the Reflex XTR sim and its general handling is similar to the model, except the landing. On the sim it is one of the hardest models to land. Too much flap and it flicks (?), too slow and it wont flair, too fast and you break the gear. But I used to own this model and the landing was no drama at all. It was a bit nose heavy which meant the elevator was a bit numb for my liking. A little flap on take off is a good idea as it is heavy on the nosewheel on take off.
If the sim were an actual model I would stick some lead in the nose.
What engine are you planning on using?
Regards,

John
Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Big feet

Hi,
Sorry to post again, I put my original question in the sim section, but wondered if I might have more luck here.
I have both G3.5 and Aerofly pro deluxe. is there a Skymaster F18 model available for either of these sims?
I picked up a SM F18 a few months ago while flying my Elan at the British Nationals, and would like to spend some sim time if possible.

Thanks

You can find the SM f-18 for G3.5 here [link=http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=6389]http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=6389[/link]

Good Luck, you will have to tweek it to feel like your model.

Alan
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Big feet

Hi Johnmac,
The model was bought ready to go, I even got a Jersey fueling station with it.
It has a JetCat 120 in it, not the SE version. I have a 120SE in my Elan and had considered swapping them over to give me the faster throttle on the scale model, as the Elan can fly down to 20mph ish. I can't see the F18 flying anywhere near this speed, or possibly even double it. My mate has a telemitary system on his F22 and she flares at 45mph, touchdown at 38.

3Dhelinut,
Thanks for the link, snag is I haven't flown the F18 yet so I don't have anything to compare the sim model to yet.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bigfeet,
You and I were talking at the Nats. I'm the guy that sold it to the guy you bought it off. So when I say I know the model I meant that exact one. I wouldn't worry too much, just go fly it. Be prepared to carry quite a lot of throttle around the circuit with everything dangling. I found it easy to get on the back of the drag curve, so just be ready with the throttle.
Have fun,

John
Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Big feet

Hi John,
The people you meet in these fourms.

I have the model ready to go but unfortunately just after returning from the Nats we have had some interference on 35MHz at our site.
I almost lost the Elan due to a double lock out on the downwind leg of the landing circuit. She was below 20ft when I got her level, over 150ft before the lockouts.
Needless to say the jets are grounded until we get this resolved, or I will be installing 2.4. If the 12x was available I would have got that by now, but now there is the possibility of the rules changing, I am in two minds as to wait, and not fly my jets, or jump in.
I am about to email MacGregor and ask if they will offer any 'upgrade' to existing 12x owners if the regulations do change. Heres hoping.

Otherwise she would have flown by now. Would you swap the 120SE (in my Elan) and the non SE ( in the 18) over to get the faster throttle response in the F18?

Cheers