Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 08:53 PM
mair
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine

I've been flying model airplanes (just about every kind) for 20 years now. I've been to quite a few jet ralleys to see just what kind of skill level is involved for flying jets (paying close attention to low aspect ratio wings, heavy wing loading, thrust lag.....) I'm a pilot and work in the the aviation industry so I understand Turbine systems...hot starts, compressor stalls, cycles....ect. Is there any way to skip the DF stage and go strait to the turbines?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:55 PM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Default buddy box

I think JPO submitted a proposal to AMA about letting a new jet member get their waiver on a buddy box system. I am just not sure if it was ever approved. Other than that you will have to get your license with a plane "CAPABLE OF DOING A 150 mph" "(preferrably ducted fan). I think that is how it is stated from ama.

Alot of the time it depends on THE CD them self. Some cd's will pass you on a one of those whiplash type aircraft some will not. But that won't simulate the heavy wing loading of a jet. It will simulate the speed though.

I personally today just piloted my Y/A starfire for the first time.(it made its maiden a couple of weeks ago). The flying part of it to me was not as bad as I expected to be. What i got caught up with was having to look down for the gear switch and having to lookdown to adjust my inflight mixture control valve. Prolly not the best thing to have to do. So you really want to be able to hit all switches without having to look down.....and KNOW FOR A FACT THAT YOU HIT THE RIGHT SWITCH.

I really thought landing would be alot more difficult. It was not. I setup on final right over the runway with about 1/4 throttle and chopped it to idle.... let the nose stay down just a lil and about 20-30 ft from the ground i started flaring to control the descent the nose pitched up a just little the jet slowed down a lil bit and touched down very softly on the the mains. Now keep in mind the starfire has been around for quite some time and really is a stable jet. I have not found any bad tendencies. I haven't even used the flaps yet either.

Hope that this Helps Some
Sean R.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbine

Originally posted by mair
is there any way to skip the DF stage and go strait to the turbines?
Check the AMA website to find out who your local TCD's (Turbine CD's) are, then give them a call & discuss it with them.

The AMA gives TCD's a certain amount of lattitude in terms of the flight demo. A heavily loaded, 150mph+ DF is considered the ideal, but we can do some give and take in various areas - just not in all at the same time. i.e we can choose to accept a DF that is less than 150 mph, a heavily loaded aircraft that is not a DF, and so on. Each TCD will draw his own line somewhere inbetween the line that goes between the fast & heavy DF, and the Aerostar 40 trainer. Exactly where he draws that line is a personal decision that varies from one TCD to the next, which is why you really need to discuss it with the TCD that you will do the waiver with, rather than accepting the guideline that any of the rest of us might give you.

Good luck with the waiver,

Gordon
Old 06-02-2003, 12:32 AM
JohnnyA
My Feedback: (1)

Default Buddy box

jetfreak wrote:
"I think JPO submitted a proposal to AMA about letting a new jet member get their waiver on a buddy box system. I am just not sure if it was ever approved."

Check the following link to AMA's document 567. Looks to me like you can get your waiver with your own turbine powered airplane with a buddy box,...True?
Johnny

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...-files/567.pdf
Old 06-02-2003, 01:25 AM
Bird of Pray
My Feedback: (1)

Default Turbine

This is the email that was sent to me from AMA when I asked them the same question. I have just completed their requirements and am awaiting my waver.

Dear Mr. Bollig,
Please see below for the information regarding a trial program effective January 1, 2003. This program will expire 12/31/2003 unless otherwise stated.

-- "Flight Demonstration Turbine Waiver" Program for Fixed Wing Aircraft --
(website document 567)

This program will allow AMA members to operate a turbine engine, prior to obtaining the necessary Special AMA Waiver that is required under the current Official AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code. This program will not replace the current procedure of obtaining a Special AMA Waiver for turbine engine operation, but is a temporary and alternate approach. The program can only be performed at an AMA sanctioned event designated for turbine powered aircraft, prior to the official event days and is up to the discretion of the event’s Contest Director (Not permitted during the actual dates of the AMA Sanction). The Applicant must contact the CD prior to the event indicating his interest in enrolling into the test/training program, if the CD is willing to run this program. Any applicant will demonstrate his or her ability of operating a turbine-powered aircraft before two current turbine waiver holders and the Contest Director as witnesses. The turbine waiver applicant must execute a release agreement for any and all responsibility for damages to the turbine-powered aircraft, website document 568.

This program requires the applicant to use his or her personal turbine powered aircraft, controlled via a buddy box system. Prior to any operation, the aircraft will have to undergo a routine safety inspection by the two turbine waiver holders and the Contest Director. Once the aircraft has been inspected one of the two qualified turbine waiver holders will perform a ground run-up prior to flight. The applicant will then operate the turbine-powered aircraft on the buddy box, to demonstrate their flight proficiency to the turbine waiver holders and the Contest Director. Flight proficiency is established if the applicant is able to safely demonstrate the required patterns and maneuvers, as listed under Required Turbine Flight Performance Demonstration (website document 569). If the applicant has displayed satisfactory proficiency the Contest Director can then authorize a “Flight Demonstration Turbine Waiver”, to be signed by all three witnesses.
Once the Flight Demonstration Turbine Waiver has been issued it will be valid for 60 days from date of issuance, stated on the waiver. To receive the necessary Special AMA Waiver, required for turbine operation referenced in the current Safety Code, the applicant needs to provide the following credentials to AMA Headquarters*:

Self-signed declaration that the applicant has completed a minimum of 50 flights with a high-performance aircraft designed to fly 150 mph or faster, website document 515.
Self-signed declaration of knowledge concerning (a) effect of throttle lag, (b) engine characteristics, (c) control setup, and (d) ground handling, website document 515.
Ground School Certification form signed by a manufacturer-approved instructor, website document 517.
The original “Flight Demonstration Turbine Waiver” signed by the Contest Director and the two current turbine waiver holders that witnessed the demonstration flight(s), website document 570.

Recommendation:
The AMA strongly recommends that the applicant completes the required Ground School Certification prior to this flight demonstration. While it’s not required, it is practical that the applicant is familiar with start-up and shut-off procedures of the turbine engine.

* The issuance of a regular special AMA waiver for turbine operation will be pending upon review and approval of additional information provided.