Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

David Gladwin / Need Info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

David Gladwin / Need Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default David Gladwin / Need Info

David,

A couple of issues back in RCJI you had a few pics of your Avonds F-15 showing where you were retrofitting the scale exhaust from the Air Magic kit. Is this to be continued with an article with what mods are required to do the retrofit ?

SDCrashmaster had posted the below pic in another forum and they look so good that I believe I have to attempt this.

Anyone know the cost of Air magic scale exhaust ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6282_693.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4600  
Old 03-21-2002, 06:43 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm not really sure it needs an article. It is just time consuming to make the nozzles I simply cut off the original nozzles and let in a 5 ply (1/8th ) former into the very rear of the fuselage and at the sides of the nozzles using Aeropoxy and glass cloth to keep this part of the fuse a stiff as possible. Small beech blocks are glued to this former to receive the screws which retain the nozzles . Each half of the tailpipe (I have retrofitted the BVM F4 pipe) is located by two socket screws mounted in beech blocks glued to the rear former, like the BVM F4. The nozzles are lined with sheet titanium on 1/8th ply standoffs. and the inside of the glass nozzle is coated with heatshield. I will soon find out if this is OK as I am just completing this mod to my F15 before flying it with aTJT 3000 and then a JetCat 160. My F15 was extensively re-engineered in the load bearing structures of the wings , stab. and fins to handle this amount of thrust and the JetCat 160 will be de-rated. Hope this helps but if considered useful I will do an article for RCJI as the F15 looks just so much better with this mod.
David Gladwin.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:07 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust

David,

Did you do anything to replicate the beaver tail or just leave it off? What were done to the stabs and verticals to beef them up.

Thank's for the info.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:03 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I just made upa simple ply beaver tail, although some real F15s now have the beaver tail omitted. . I did a LOT to the wings, stab and fins and it was all in RCJI three years ago.