Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Merlin 160 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Merlin 160 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merlin 160 Questions

I just bought a Merlin 160 from a friend that got it in a trade. How do I tell if it is a Mk 1 or Mk 2. and if it is a Mk 1 can it be upgraded. Can I use a 3 cell 123 pack to power the ECU. and one last question were is the engine Serial number located.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
avicom

Default RE: Merlin 160 Questions

Wayne, send serial num. to Todd. He might give you the answer. The one I sold years ago was a MK1 with some internals of MK2. It came like this from factory.

H.N.Y>
Alex
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
P38J

Thanks but where do I find the serial number, it's not in the same location as a Jetcat.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just a hunch, not sure, but check under the straps...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Wayne:
I am pretty sure that turbine that was in the plane was an MK1 like the one I have and Todd took it and up graded it for me. If I remember correctly it had gotten some grass in the bearings and was sent in and Todd might have already upgraded. I will check were my numbers are and get back to you.

Dave
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Fortune7

The serial number on mine is engraved on the chrome case, but it's not here right now to check. I bought mine in late '85 from Todd at Dreamworks while in the U.S. and always got excellent advice and service from him. Since being back in UK this year the turbine had an unexplained flame-out and I got in touch with Rob Rowbotham, the UK Agent who was also very responsive and helpful. He contacted Gaspar Espiell at Jets-Munt and Gaspar suggested sending the turbine, ECU and pump direct to him in Spain for a check-out. Gaspar offered to replace the ECU to the latest version free of charge and also change-out the older stainless-steel combustion chamber free, under warranty. Since the turbine had already done some 60 cycles and was over 3 years old, I thought this was great service. In its life to date, the turbine had run perfectly, but had experienced some glow-plugs blowing during runs, this being discovered on the next start. Todd provided an initial fix but Gaspar suggested I had the plug changed for a new ceramic type while it was in for service with him. In the end, the whole job was completed quickly and at very reasonable cost, the only charge being for cleaning and the ceramic plug, plus shipping. I hear stories of other makes' costing a lot more in servicing charges. Incidentally, the cause of the flame-out was convincingly explained by Gaspar using information from the ECU - it had been a fuel system restriction before the turbine. On the post-service test-run, Gaspar reported the turbine's output being 'above 170N' so in-all, a very good result.
The Merlin is my first and so-far only turbine and I've been very happy with it, both as a user and as the recipient of what I'm sure is above-average customer service. I hope it helps with any questions about service or upgrades.
Andy
Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Late '85????? I'll bet that you mean late '05..............Gaspar is the man!

Tailwinds,

John
Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

Answers:

1) DO NOT use a 3s battery (either Lipo or A123) on the M160. Use always 2s.

2) Mk2 have the connectors for fuel and power in the engine, not tubes exit from the cover.

3) Serial numbers on very early M160 engines (2004) isn't visible from outside, we tracked them by the serial number on the turbine wheel, but need the dissasembly of the exhaust cone. If you are locking for the "history" of this particular engine, contact to Todd with the name of previous owner, and possibly he can tell you what service has been done on it, unless it have been in several untracked owners.

Regards,

Gaspar
Old 12-31-2008, 04:38 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have three of these now and they are great engines. I also had the problem with plugs blowing in flight. It went back to Gaspar via Rob and he changed the plug position to a cooler spot. I have not run this engine since as it is in my F18 waiting for its maiden flight.
I bought a second one which is now in my ES and a great engine for this model as it provides more than 1:1 power fully fuelled.
I bought a third one S/H and two of these will go in my Airworld Lightning. Should provide adequate power.
As for A123's, you should avoid using a 3 cell battery but I suspect a two cell would be adequate. I use 2 cell lipo's on mine and intend to try 2 cell A123's on my next model. The voltage is a little down on Lipo's but I think it will still be OK.
Regards,

John
Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: P38J

I just bought a Merlin 160 from a friend that got it in a trade. How do I tell if it is a Mk 1 or Mk 2. and if it is a Mk 1 can it be upgraded. Can I use a 3 cell 123 pack to power the ECU. and one last question were is the engine Serial number located.
Thanks
Wayne,
Give me a call and I can look up the engine details.
Regards,
Todd
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
WhoDaMan

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: P38J

Thanks
Wayne,
Give me a call and I can look up the engine details.
Regards,
Todd

Todd, Hi Bud and Happy New Year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Could you please explain the battery's he is saying not to use

Thanks, Dave
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Todd, Hi Bud and Happy New Year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Could you please explain the battery's he is saying not to use

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave, same back at ya... In basic terms, Gaspar is stating no packs above 7.4V (lipo 2 cell). You can use any lipo or A123 in two cell configuration, no three cell packs.
Todd
Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
WhoDaMan

Thanks Bro:
Much better on the brain.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
P38J

Thanks everyone for all of the info, After talking with Todd I'll be sending my engine in to be upgraded to Mk2. I'm ordering a 2s 123 battery pack for it as soon as it gets back, after seeing some of my friends use them I'm ready to make the switch.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

The merlin 160 is an excellent turbine. I bought mine from Todd two years ago for my lightning. The plugs were lasting 3 flights. The lowest setting that would light the turbine is 12, I thought the plug was burning from to much current during the start ups. I purchased the new turbine plug from RTI/Dreamworks and after 7 flights, it has not burned up. I did have to increase the setting to 15 to get the turbine to light up though.