Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

ORIGINAL: rhallgarth

When one says something about a supposedly scale ARF, we are not talking WJM scale, it is not complaining or *****ing if based in fact. It is a criticism. All I will say about the photos on the FEJ site is they are interesting and are obviously a very early prototype with just the general outline of what they intend to produce.
it's called 'Fun Scale' girl scout.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
rhallgarth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

When one says something about a supposedly scale ARF, we are not talking WJM scale, it is not complaining or *****ing if based in fact. It is a criticism. All I will say about the photos on the FEJ site is they are interesting and are obviously a very early prototype with just the general outline of what they intend to produce.
it's called 'Fun Scale' girl scout.
Fun scale??? That is a very appropriate name. Sport scale might be more appropriate which is ok. Now that we have that issue solved maybe FEJ can get around to delivering product. That is not complaining or *****ing that is a FACT!!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The funny thing is.. on things like vertical stab angle and such, it literally takes no extra effort to do it correctly. If you're going to take the time to design an F-14 with all its complexity, why not take the time to model it correctly?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

The funny thing is.. on things like vertical stab angle and such, it literally takes no extra effort to do it correctly. If you're going to take the time to design an F-14 with all its complexity, why not take the time to model it correctly?
talk about hitting the nail on the head. Does anyone else think the outline of the plane seems to be a bit off as well?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sitting here with a 1/72 size model, and holding it up to the pictures at the correct angles, and it looks very nice to me.

The wings are extended a little too far on the pictures, which makes it look a little funny. But other than that, "I" think it looks fantastic

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: t33jetman

They must be a little bit further head on this project than they are letting on.

Looks like this one is ready to fly, ops I see no canopy is in place yet for takeoff.

I see all the doors are in place too.

William
I dont see any pipes in place, must be a lil bit further from T.O.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Why not wait and see if the fins are actually bolted on tight, there is a gap under the outside edge it looks like in the pictures, my guess would be they are not bolted on in the pictures.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Why not wait and see if the fins are actually bolted on tight, there is a gap under the outside edge it looks like in the pictures, my guess would be they are not bolted on in the pictures.

The pics of the assembled plane sitting on the gear, show the vertical stabs both pointing up what appears to be perfectly vertical... so unless they changed something between the assembled pictures and the un-assembled pictures, it appears they are built to be perfectly vertical.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
rhallgarth

ORIGINAL: invertmast

The pics of the assembled plane sitting on the gear, show the vertical stabs both pointing up what appears to be perfectly vertical... so unless they changed something between the assembled pictures and the un-assembled pictures, it appears they are built to be perfectly vertical.
Take a look at the bottom of the air intake??? Maybe they just forgot to cut it out but then again it is a "fun" scale project.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Looks plain to me that this is not ready to fly, so they have time to make any corrections that need to be made which they are hearing from this forum.

I see that Skymaster and Feibao have been on here since 3 a.m. checking out what is going and how the product is being picked over. I am sure they are making sure that when they release theirs that they don't recieve the flack that is going on here today.

Let's just sit back and see what happens it's not even fly season yet here in the northeast.

William
Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM
LGM Graphix

Take a look at the bottom of the air intake??? Maybe they just forgot to cut it out but then again it is a "fun" scale project.
It's obvious that you're down on FEJ's in the first place, but if you re-read the thread title, it says "FIRST LOOK" not available now. I have no idea how much is left to do on it, but what I do know is they're showing the pictures of where it is now, I'm sure they're reading the comments on here as well and taking them all into consideration.
These guys are still brand new in the jet world, yes they have had problems, MOST manufactures have, but most manufactures have those issues sorted out now so when a new guy comes along people expect it to be the same as those who have been around for a long time. From what I can see, FEJ are sincerely trying to improve their products and offer a very good value to the modeler, I think this F14 is beautiful, no it doesn't look quite correct, but I will reserve my final opinion for when they have it finished and show it as a finished product, not just a "First Look"....
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Looks pretty good really.. I'm sure the small stuff will be sorted out before release anyways.

Lets wait for some flight reports - I know I am..

Adil
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
invertmast

It's obvious that you're down on FEJ's in the first place, but if you re-read the thread title, it says "FIRST LOOK" not available now. I have no idea how much is left to do on it, but what I do know is they're showing the pictures of where it is now, I'm sure they're reading the comments on here as well and taking them all into consideration.
These guys are still brand new in the jet world, yes they have had problems, MOST manufactures have, but most manufactures have those issues sorted out now so when a new guy comes along people expect it to be the same as those who have been around for a long time. From what I can see, FEJ are sincerely trying to improve their products and offer a very good value to the modeler, I think this F14 is beautiful, no it doesn't look quite correct, but I will reserve my final opinion for when they have it finished and show it as a finished product, not just a "First Look"....

Actually, i've never Owned a FEJ jet. But coming from someone who thinks highly of his hard earned money and who also was planning on buying one of the "china's three" (SM,FB,FEJ) F-14's, the "first look" is only making my decision to buy china or scratch build harder (but if the chinese three can't get it right, then the decision will be easy). The big question is why spend all the time and money to do it WRONG the first time? If i'm going to drop $4,000+ on a jet airframe, I expect the thing to be damn close to perfect in every aspect. Granted their is "testing" but testing should be more in airfoils, dimensions, CG positions, etc etc: Not in the general look of the plane. The outlines are simpler in that aspect. And with a company releasing a "first look" photo set, its kind of a free game for anyone who has an interest in the company or jet to post their comments and views. Afterall, Would you rather spent $4k+ on something that you've never other than what they have on the company website, then get it and realize its not even close to what you expected, or would you rather give the company input on the entire jet so it is EXACTLY what you expect and want?

Personally, i'd rather have the later decision. And like I said. the plane looks good, but IMO it just doesn't look "right" in the outline and scale "look". SO hopefully they take everything that has been said here and make the tomcat into what it deserves to be.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Eagle Driver

Gents,

as i said before .... it was only a first look.
Lot of you ask for pictures, i load them up
to do you a favour and another discussion
started on here .....

for all of you, the correct angle for the fins is six degree each side.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Actually, i've never Owned a FEJ jet. But coming from someone who thinks highly of his hard earned money and who also was planning on buying one of the "china's three" (SM,FB,FEJ) F-14's, the "first look" is only making my decision to buy china or scratch build harder (but if the chinese three can't get it right, then the decision will be easy). The big question is why spend all the time and money to do it WRONG the first time? If i'm going to drop $4,000+ on a jet airframe, I expect the thing to be damn close to perfect in every aspect. Granted their is "testing" but testing should be more in airfoils, dimensions, CG positions, etc etc: Not in the general look of the plane. The outlines are simpler in that aspect. And with a company releasing a "first look" photo set, its kind of a free game for anyone who has an interest in the company or jet to post their comments and views. Afterall, Would you rather spent $4k+ on something that you've never other than what they have on the company website, then get it and realize its not even close to what you expected, or would you rather give the company input on the entire jet so it is EXACTLY what you expect and want?

Personally, i'd rather have the later decision. And like I said. the plane looks good, but IMO it just doesn't look "right" in the outline and scale "look". SO hopefully they take everything that has been said here and make the tomcat into what it deserves to be.
I think that all you guys who keep nitpicking this thing should just sit back and wait for someone like AirWorld or CompARF to produce this plane. They would most likely meet your ULTIMATE SCALE, & look right, requirements. Of course the KIT would also cost about $12,000 to $15,000. Then, while spending the next year or two building it, you could correct all the minor imperfections, I'm sure you would find, yourselves. But then, you would finally have the plane you've always dreamed about.

Meanwhile, the rest of us, who enjoy FLYING models that, in the air, look an awful lot like the real thing, and who aren't looking to enter the WJM or Scale Masters, and think that saving A Whole Bunch of MONEY to get something that's GOOD, but maybe comes a little short of GREAT, will have fun flying these TOYS!

I for one, would enjoy reading less nitpicks from people who probably aren't even actually looking to buy the darn thing anyway!

David S
Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Eagle Driver

not to nitpick but the fins are canted 4º outward each...........not 6
Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Mike Emilio

Geez, , , if I had a nickel everytime someone puts so much confidence in a 3 view.
KC, , , where ever you read that, it's also wrong.

Your both wrong!

How about using the Grumman factory drawing, , ,

It's 5 degrees

edited: deleted drawing image
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
LGM Graphix

Well, I would rather spend 4K on an ARF airframe that is close and maybe needs a couple tweaks to get it looking more scale than spend 7K on the yellow aircraft F14 that has been "available soon" for the last 10 years and still have to build every single part.
I have no interest in competing in a big scale event, so as long as it looks good, and flies well, I'd be more than happy to have a 4K airframe over a much more expensive one that is dead accurate but I have to build.
I'm very sad to tell you that, even if you spend 4K+ on an airframe, there's not a manufacture out there that you will get perfect in every aspect out there. There are some that are very good, but I don't know of perfect. When it comes to accurate scale airframes, there are not a lot of manufactures out there building kits that are true scale competitors. BVM is one, Airworld is another, and some smaller cottage industry manufactures, and every single one of them will cost you more than 4K and then you get to spend countless hours building them. That's not a knock at those high end companies, it's simply what you will pay for perfection.
I do own a FEJ Rafale, and I have to say, it's not perfect, but it's a HUGE value for what it cost me. If I was going to look for a true scale competitor, I would not look at ANY of the chinese companies without expecting to have to do a bunch of work to the airframes to get them "damn near perfect" and even in that case, I can start with a built airplane that requires modification perhaps for less than the kit from the high end companies.

When it comes to real scale jets, the ONLY negative thing I think that BVM has going for his planes right now, is the are small compared to the new jets coming out, but if I wanted a really scale F4 or F100, I would buy a BVM jet. If I wanted a very scale Hawk or L39, I would buy an airworld jet, but for my needs, and my everyday use, I'd be more than happy to have a chinese jet.

From my point of view, with the exception of the angles of the fins, I think this F14 looks pretty good, once it's refined, has a clear canopy, and a finish on it that doesn't look so toyish, I think it will be an awesome looking jet!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY money is on Anton!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
invertmast

Well, I would rather spend 4K on an ARF airframe that is close and maybe needs a couple tweaks to get it looking more scale than spend 7K on the yellow aircraft F14 that has been "available soon" for the last 10 years and still have to build every single part.
I have no interest in competing in a big scale event, so as long as it looks good, and flies well, I'd be more than happy to have a 4K airframe over a much more expensive one that is dead accurate but I have to build.
I'm very sad to tell you that, even if you spend 4K+ on an airframe, there's not a manufacture out there that you will get perfect in every aspect out there. There are some that are very good, but I don't know of perfect. When it comes to accurate scale airframes, there are not a lot of manufactures out there building kits that are true scale competitors. BVM is one, Airworld is another, and some smaller cottage industry manufactures, and every single one of them will cost you more than 4K and then you get to spend countless hours building them. That's not a knock at those high end companies, it's simply what you will pay for perfection.
I do own a FEJ Rafale, and I have to say, it's not perfect, but it's a HUGE value for what it cost me. If I was going to look for a true scale competitor, I would not look at ANY of the chinese companies without expecting to have to do a bunch of work to the airframes to get them "damn near perfect" and even in that case, I can start with a built airplane that requires modification perhaps for less than the kit from the high end companies.

When it comes to real scale jets, the ONLY negative thing I think that BVM has going for his planes right now, is the are small compared to the new jets coming out, but if I wanted a really scale F4 or F100, I would buy a BVM jet. If I wanted a very scale Hawk or L39, I would buy an airworld jet, but for my needs, and my everyday use, I'd be more than happy to have a chinese jet.

From my point of view, with the exception of the angles of the fins, I think this F14 looks pretty good, once it's refined, has a clear canopy, and a finish on it that doesn't look so toyish, I think it will be an awesome looking jet!

I agree completely. You brought up really good points. The chinese arfs aren't in the same class as the other companies you mentioned, but some things shouldn't be looked over just b/c they are made in china. To each there own. If ya want a true scale model, your probly going to have to build it yourself. For those who want a good respresentation, the chinese companies are the place to go. Like i said the first time. The plane looks great, its not "perfect" but its a damn good looking airplane, and if they take these critiques and make use of them, it can only get better.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nail on the head , Dave. S
ORIGINAL: David Searles

I think that all you guys who keep nitpicking this thing should just sit back and wait for someone like AirWorld or CompARF to produce this plane. They would most likely meet your ULTIMATE SCALE, & look right, requirements. Of course the KIT would also cost about $12,000 to $15,000. Then, while spending the next year or two building it, you could correct all the minor imperfections, I'm sure you would find, yourselves. But then, you would finally have the plane you've always dreamed about.

Meanwhile, the rest of us, who enjoy FLYING models that, in the air, look an awful lot like the real thing, and who aren't looking to enter the WJM or Scale Masters, and think that saving A Whole Bunch of MONEY to get something that's GOOD, but maybe comes a little short of GREAT, will have fun flying these TOYS!

I for one, would enjoy reading less nitpicks from people who probably aren't even actually looking to buy the darn thing anyway!

David S
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

OH the DRAMA....complicated airframe....

Pointy end goes first, watch your roll rate with the wings swept, and get'er done.

Looks really good....consider me in line for one when the time comes....

isn't that what turbines are all about.... The Drama oh the Drama
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

ORIGINAL: two dogs

MY money is on Anton!!!!!!!!!!

Keep waiting its still another year out
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio

Geez, , , if I had a nickel everytime someone puts so much confidence in a 3 view.
KC, , , where ever you read that, it's also wrong.

Your both wrong!

How about using the Grumman factory drawing, , ,

It's 5 degrees

Actually, it's 5.43%.

(the above is not true, I just wanted to try and sound smart about useless stuff too)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Eagle Driver

SinCity,

you`re absolutly right.
It is 5,43° on the center line, we measured it on the outer shape of the fin and there the Angle is 6°

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.