Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what made you want to build and fly jets......

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what made you want to build and fly jets......

Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 PM
A MAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what made you want to build and fly jets......

HI GUYS

There have been posts of several of you guys that are pilots ,build all types of scale aircraft etc , how many of you guys actually worked on real aircraft in production plantsand what type of aircraft did you work one and manufacture. .... i have worked on the A-4 skyhawk worked on the horizontal stab built the leadin edge cap and installed and hug the elevators did a 22 hr job in 11 hours also assembled the slats. worked on the L-1011 LOCKHEED TRISTAR did elecctrical installations, avioncs installs and electrcal mockup, and worked squacks from ship 1006-1089 . the ship 1011 that went down in the everglades i installed a puuly bracket in the horizontl tail fin. i worked on the first b-1 bomber electrical in wing and nose gear area and fuse electrical bays and last i worked on the f-5 freedom fighter doing electrical mods. all in the palmdale ca area. I have been building model planes ,u-control ,free flight, at 10 years old and got into rc at 18 got into rc jets when i purchased a bvm a-4 skyhawk in southern Ca. jet meet at a air base near Los Angeles Ca. i belive itsthe one jet hangar sells now.

Arden May
Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: what made you want to build and fly jets......

severe mental instability.

yup
that is my reason
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

After 23 years in the Airforce and 10 as a civilian on jets and helos, I thought I was over the sickness. Then John Redman showed up here in New Mexico with a Bobcat with a P-80. I heard it and smelled it, and that was it. I had to have one. That was several thousand dollars and about 5 years ago. Bob
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
lousyflyer

You have opened quite a can of worms here. At around eight years of age, I discovered old photos of myself in diapers sitting in the grass next to a control line model- I believe it was a"Ruffy". Since my parents divorced when I was about three, I had no knowledge of my father's modeling days, or him for that matter. Now, that 1960 color Kodak photograph really didn't catch my attention until I discovered a matching Kodak transparency slide taken from the same negative. When I put that slide into a projector, the image immediately became life-size on the wall....and I saw the airplane in fantastic detail. I was never the same. I was born and raised in Lake Charles, La. Models and airshows were my life. I was a timekeeper at the Nats In the late 70s in the Jet Speed event. Pulsejets going 200 mph on 70 foot monolines in circle is something most people will never witness, but I have vivid memories of dusk flights watching a glowing dynajet roaring around and around with the sun nearly gone down below the horizon. I think I was 17 at the time. I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone. I have been building interiors for head of state aircraft and business jets across this great nation for the last 20 years. Frank(lousyflyer)Sheridan
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Somehow I stumbled on BVM's info (pre-interntet), maybe it was a magazine or something, I can't remember. I ordered their catalog and lusted over their jets. Since I was in school and couldn't afford them I put the info in a file and forgot about it. This was in 1984 or so. After graduating, I got a job, got married, had kids, completely forgot about my past R/C life. As a matter of fact, I really never intended to get involved in R/C again. But then my wife made the fatal mistake. About 3 years ago she bought me a crapy parkzone electric Piper Cub for Christmas. The thing flew so bad I took it back to get my money back. What I came home with was the 120 size P-51 Mustang lol with a new 4 stroke engine and a new transmitter. lol, after a few months of playing with that, I opened my old BVM file and started looking at the old catalogs.

I realized that I could finally afford a jet! and over 50K later I'm here today. Pretty funny if you think about it. The down payment for a nice house. Now I'm savin up for the house! lol.

Andy
Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, here's a post I made a few years ago that pretty much sums it up for me
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...Cenough/tm.htm
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 AM
SinCityJets

Flying jets instantly makes you a great pilot!

The more you can afford, the better pilot you are.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend who also flys prop driven models had no one to share the driving to a jet meet. I went with him, mopped up the fuel spills, made him cups of tea, packed & unpacked, was the general dogsbody.

But........ after seeing jets fly for the first time I thought.... I could get to like this! - John.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watching too much TopGun
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 AM
blackcat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i'm just a poser
Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was about eight years old I tried really hard to convince my dad to "help" me design and build a miniature model jet engine. He was a maintenance guy for United Airlines in SFO and if figured if he could keep 747's airworthy he could clearly build an operating jet engine. Of course this was waaaay before model jet engines were operating. But that idea always stayed with me. I was flying a Gentle Lady glider at the time and building an Olympic II glider, never did I imagine this dream jet engine would be able to fly one of my models until a few years later when I was 12 - but it was just a dream and it was still way ahead of the time. I didn't get into jets until my mid 30's when I could actually afford it but I had followed the developments for years before.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

The women! its all about the women..

now.. where'd they all go?

on a serious note.. The smell of burnt Jet-A / Kero is something i love! I got started in the hobby at the age of 6. Started off with the typical 15-90 size models ranging from scale to aerobats. Got my first GP patriot and decided i wanted a jet! First one was a JHH F-86 that i got for $100 built. Put a turbax and K&B 45 in it and never did get it to fly. so it was given to a hobby shop to hang up, where it was eventually sold. Then i got my first flying jet. A YA F-18 single. flew it a few times then sold it. Then got into IMAC and pattern flying. Once highschool started i slowly got out of the hobby. Then once i started flight school and began the career it became non-existant. After 5 years out of the hobby i moved to VA, where i decided to get back into it with heli's and pattern again. I then found out again why i quit flying pattern (its so damn boring). And now here i am back again w/ the jets and the turbines.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
rcjets_63

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While I'd flown C/L & R/C in high school, I had to give it up during college (no time/money). I'd finished college, was working on the F-18 program, had gotten recently married, and suggested to my new bride that we drop by a hobby store (much to her confusion and, later, her dismay). The next thing you know, I'm the proud owner of an Airtronics Q-Tee. Learned to fly all over again, got a sport plane, and then one day I'm reading Model Airplane News and there is Terry Nitsch's review of the BVM Viper. OMG, it looked incredible. I need, I want, I gotta have!!!!

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
phjoker

I am just getting into Jets now.. I have been flying the fast prop planes for a while Cermark F-16,Greatplanes Minnow, and the Magnum.
I always wanted to get into jets, then when I got more serios Funflyer F4(Frank) took me up on the the buddy box with his Boomerang Intro
Well I came home from the field that day and hit the Buy Button. I am now building the Boomerang Sprint hopefully to be done by the Spring.

Pete H
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps performing maintenence on F-4, A-6, A-4 and later the F-18 when they were 1st introduced. I attended Embry Riddle while in the Corps, working toward an degree in aeronautics. Ultimately, I wanted to earn a commission and go off to flight training at Pensacola. At the time, the age cutoff was 27.5 and they wouldnt waive my age. They were top heavy in the ranks. I wanted to fly Hornets and looked forward to carrier quals and so on. But it didnt come to fruition. So here I am, doing the next best thing. Building and flying model jets.

The most exhilarating moment came in 1983 when I was Marine of the year and I got to back seat in an F-4S while attatched to VMFA-235 (Death Angels-Ride Nunc) at Kaneohe Bay Hawaii.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

It started with making a "U-FLY-IT" out of LEGO.
1st version was like the original toy plane runs down a set of strings to land on a table top...
Last generation was a B-52 out the bedroom window, 2nd floor, across the back yard to land on a picnic table.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Ayrtonsenna
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Well, here's a post I made a few years ago that pretty much sums it up for me
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...Cenough/tm.htm
What an amazing post Jeremy......Absolute Gold my friend, for any one who hasn't taken the time to read Jeremy's post, please do so.

Ants
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Started going to the field with my Dad since I was 4 years old. Used to wake up at 03:00 am and have a 3 hours ride before reaching flying site.
Never thought this would be my hobby as i only used to proudly clean my Dad's airplane, started flying my first plane when i was 16.
Been flying all sorts of model airplanes now for more the 28 years.
Funny thing is that after large aerobatic scale, i got hooked on jets 3 years ago but had no local experience what so ever to relay on but reading daily RCU jet threads and posting many questions for which i always got immediate answers and precious help.
Happy to say that i have a fleet of 11 jets (4 are operational) and i just love everything about jet flying.

Regards.
Dany
Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
TAILHOOK-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

My wife told me to get a hobby & to start spending some of this goddam money.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

The total desire to be Constantly be Broke on my Can, Strolling the Jet Shops on the web... and realizing: I need, I need, I need...

Sound and Smell of Turbines.

The thrill waiting for the UPS,FEDEX, Carrier...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
lousyflyer

Wait just a minute! Maybe we should start a thread called "Are you married and does your family know that you fly jets?". Or maybe "Your kids are hungry and they need shoes, so what DID you do with the paycheck?" I'm sorry to get off the original subject of this thread. I am between jobs and have entirely too much time on my hands! -lousyflyer-
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Flying jets instantly makes you a great pilot!

The more you can afford, the better pilot you are.
Isnt that the truth. bahahhahahahaha!!!

I cant afford the real ones, thats why. Closest Ill ever get.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Molar mender

I have been flying something with wings on it since 1955, free flight, U-control, RC. Built my first RC proportional kit when the Heathkit came out in the late '60's. Been flying RC ever since. I originally lived a couple miles south of the Renton, WA airport and saw the first Boeing 727 make its maiden flight in 1963. The Renton field also caters to sea planes as it sits on the edge of Lake Washington with the north end of the runway ending at the lake. They towed out the 727 and started it up at the opposite end of the runway and pointed it towards the lake, just in case it did not get off the ground. Needless to say the maiden flight was successful.

I made templates for the Boeing 737 in 1965 at the Renton, WA plant, graveyard shift, until I was nearly drafted by the Army. I joined the Navy before my draft notice came and was on my first overseas remote assignment when the 737 made its maiden flight in April 1967. Too bad, as most of my early flying was done on 707's over the oceans and C-47's in country (North Africa). Spent time on the Oriskany and Coral Sea watching flight ops when the F-4's were still being shot off the cat's during the Viet Nam war. I was released to the reserves and I worked at the FBO in Boise, Idaho, fueling all kinds of airframes, mostly private and coorporate. During the summers, I did fueling for the Bureau of Land Management which were flying C-47's, B-17 borate bombers and turbine Electra's for the smoke jumpers. Just wanted to be near the full scale while I continued to build models and go to school. Went back on active duty after finishing my schooling.

Did some flying with the 319th Bomb Wing B-52's and KC-135 tankers in Grand Forks, ND when I was assigned to the Flight Surgeons department at the hospital. I was also the Chief Forensic officer when the B-52 blew up on the ground at Grand Forks in Jan 1982 and did the victim ID's for the Flight Surgeons office. Got to poke around the shell of the burned out B-52 bomber. The six years I spent in Japan, I flew on C-130's, C-141's and C-5B's. Just missed out flying with the F-16 Panther Pack in northern Japan at the Misawa airbase because of my transfer back to the states. Didn't do anymore flying with the AF after 1988 as I was no longer assigned to the Flight Surgeons office but was still around the AF inventory. While stationed at Mather, AFB, which was the navigator school before it was moved back to Texas, I got the chance to see lots of different airframes. My favorite was the B-1B but was able to see the F-117 shortly after it was made public. Transfered to McChord in the early 1990's and saw the transition from C-141's to the C-17's.

I flew ducted fans from 1989 to 2002 and turbines ever since. I have always loved flying and I have always loved building. So that is why I continue in this hobby. That is my history.

Roy
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have to be the sound, speed and smell of burning kero that finally got to me enough to plop down the funds required to go play. When the snow melts here I'll be at the field to maiden my first jet making me an official member I suppose of the jet set club. I've been flying off and on since sometime in the 80's. My dad did alot of flying when he was younger getting my older brother involved in the 70's. I tagged along and learned the ropes with the buddy box of the time - my dad's fingers on top of mine at the transmitter.

I only wish I would have made the move to turbines a bit sooner than I have. My dad was really interested in the new technology that I was always talking about even though he was no longer able to participate himself. He was always asking about what was on the building board, what was next to go in the air. I lost my dad about a year and a half ago to complications from diabetes and Alzheimers. Before he passed I was able to show him the YA F18 single kit that I had just purchased. He was amazed at how far things had come since those free flight days many years ago and was looking forward to seeing it fly. At the time I was still planning on ducted fan for power. Since then I've made the move to turbine and have set it aside until I'm better able to handle it sometime in the future after cutting my teeth on the JetMach.

But when the time comes I'm sure I'll still feel those fingers on top of mine that I remember from so long ago.

Glad to be a part of the club, after all you can't take it with you.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99482.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1114749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21701.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1114750  
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Jamie C

I have been around full-size and model aircraft since i first started to crawl, my dad worked at westland helicopters and worked on several projects such as the Scout,wasp,wessex, seaking, whirlwind, WG30, lynx, Wideye UAV programme and the westland record braking speed lynx project. He was also a very active modeller and now has his own model shop, so it was inevitable that i was going to catch the bug! Dad put me through what you might call amodelling aprenticeship, from an early age i had slot together chuck models then into glider and free flight rubber models and jetex building hundreds from veron, keil kraft, comet, mercury and guillows kits. Then to control line and powered free flight . . . . i can still smell the diesel! i lived in the workshop at that age and when work allows i am still the same. I first saw a ducted fan at my local club which was westonzoyland and had wanted one immediately!! it was a Byron mig 15, unfortunately we did not have the money for this part of the hobby so i had to be content with watching . . . . . . and learning! we went to several jet meets such as those at RAF Wroughton, RAF Swinderby, RAF Abingdon etc it was here that i first saw Jerry jackmans 'Bar jay' a red twin boomed jet trainer very much like the boomerang . . . . it was from here the turbine dream started! not really understanding the value of money at that age i was relentless in pestering dad for a jet . . . . but to no avail. I did not give up as as i grew older, part time jobs, building for people etc i was able to afford a ducted fan . . . . a paul gray hawk and they grew in size and complexity from there, during this time the JPX motors were introduced but money was again a factor. In April of 1999 i joined the Royal Navy and trained as an aircraft technician and i now work as an avionics engineer on Seakings, this new career enabled me to take the plunge in 2002 and i bought a Hotspot P80 package and then a graupner harpoon, in the years since with kids and houses they have taken a back seat until February last year. It was during 2008 that i managed to obtain my dream jet . . . . . a BVM Bandit! my pride and joy! i also have a BVM Bobcat very near completion and a BVM Electra which will be fitted with the BVM turbine kit, i have plans for further additions this year. There is nothing like smell of burnt jet fuel vapor after a days flying . . . . models or full size! The sound . . . the smell the overall realism of the model turbine is too much to resist! i have taken them to work and flown them over my duty weekends and those i work with are stunned at the speed and sound of them "just like the real thing!" they say!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98864.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1115098  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.