Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bvm Bob Cat Build thread!

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

Lasse, did you weigh your finished Bobcat?
    Yes!
    But I do not remember, I will be back with the weight tomorrow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JetCatJimmy

Excellent maiden!! And great work on the knife edge. I'm still trying to dial mine in. Did you program that in a mix, or is it all thumb work?
    Knife edge mix whats that?
    I train my thumbs on Shulman knife edges[8D]

Regards
    Lasse Palm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64840.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1184717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95767.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1184718  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HA HA~! Yes, I need to just figure it out. I currently have no mixes loaded anyway and would love to keep it that way.
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,the weight came out at 9833g with fuel in the Bvm UAT.

Lasse P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! [8D]

ORIGINAL: Lasse Palm

Ken,the weight came out at 9833g with fuel in the Bvm UAT.

Lasse P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grattis Lasse! till en i mitt tycke en lite tuff men bra premiΓ€rflygning

Christer Pekkala
    Yes i do full speed landings!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pekkala

Grattis Lasse! till en i mitt tycke en lite tuff men bra premiΓ€rflygning

Christer Pekkala
    Tack Christer,
    modellen flyger som en drΓΆm sΓ₯ jag kunde inte lΓ₯ta bli att kΓ€nna lite pΓ₯ den he,he

HΓ€lsningar
    Lasse P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I am nearly finished with mine. Hopefully the maiden flight tomorrow.
    My BC has the new JetCAT P-80 SE kerostart installed. (with 97N - a bit over 22lbs of thrust)

I am struggling with the flap throw and flap mixer settings, though.
    I do not understand the recommendations of the BVM website on this.
    Can one of you experts tell me how much flaps you use and how much elevator downtrim you mix in ?
    Do you also mix in the aileron trim (crow braking ?) ?
    Do you use the flaps on take-off ?

Best Regards,
    Nicolas.

Name:	Ec89001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	1186301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73406.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	1186302  
    Memory Cards and Nano Turbines. The only two objects men like to brag about theirs is smaller.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SpiderJets

Hi,

I am nearly finished with mine. Hopefully the maiden flight tomorrow.
    My BC has the new JetCAT P-80 SE kerostart installed. (with 97N - a bit over 22lbs of thrust)

I am struggling with the flap throw and flap mixer settings, though.
    I do not understand the recommendations of the BVM website on this.
    Can one of you experts tell me how much flaps you use and how much elevator downtrim you mix in ?
    Do you also mix in the aileron trim (crow braking ?) ?
    Do you use the flaps on take-off ?

Best Regards,
    Nicolas.
    Hi Nicolas!
    I am not a BC expert yet!
    But I reply anyway!!
    I don`t use flaps on my first maiden take-off.
    But If I will fly on grass fields, I will possibly use take-off flaps.
    I used Bvms Recommended full flaps for landing but without mixed elevator,I think i will try some different flaps/elevator mixes, because I have move the recommended center of gravity (20 mm behind the drilled holes)
    Good luck with the maiden.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Regards
    Lasse P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lasse, can you comment on how visible the Blue/Yellow color scheme is on your Bobcat? Any problems seeing it against the sky?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lasse,
    I test flew my Bobcat last last week with a P70, i was cautious with my CG setting. Where is yours set and how do you did you find it to fly? and where did you put you ECU and receiver battery(s)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm am just a few days from my maiden flight and wanted to know if you would comment on the control throws of aileron, elevator, rudder? My setup is as follows:

elevator: 2" up / 1.5" down

aileron: 1" up / 3/4" down

rudder: 1" in - 1.5" outboard

I don't have the original manual since I purchased mycomposite BCused, but found the above numbers on the BVM website.

I have added about 15-20% expo to each of the above just because that is how I set upmost of my aircraft.

My first flights will be from a grass runway. How do you feel about using 1/2 flaps for takeoff? I have found on this forum that some required up trim when using flaps, while others have required down trim. I find that odd. Any comments?

Did you use full flaps on your first landing?

What about flight times? Iran my RAM 500equipped BC with full tanks and got about 6 1/2 minutes (at full throttle) before pulling from the UAT. I thought about setting my maiden flight at 5 minutes to be on the safe side.

Center of gravity: is that measured with landing gear up or down?

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Edited - Sorry, I was being repetitive. 1/2 flaps for takeoff are fine for me, but a little up elevator was required for 1/2 flaps slightly more with full flaps and gear down.

On my P-80, it uses 8oz/minute and I have a UAT, center hopper tank, and 2 saddle tanks. This gives me between 6-8 minutes depending on how I use the throttle. This also allows for a few fly-by's incase I don't like the approach.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Edited - Sorry, I was being repetitive. 1/2 flaps for takeoff are fine for me, but a little up elevator was required for 1/2 flaps slightly more with full flaps and gear down.

On my P-80, it uses 8oz/minute and I have a UAT, center hopper tank, and 2 saddle tanks. This gives me between 6-8 minutes depending on how I use the throttle. This also allows for a few fly-by's incase I don't like the approach.

Hope this helps!

That's where I went to get the info for my original setup. Just wanted to hear from others in the field that it worked well or not.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1" of aileron throw is a lot for my taste, I run less and more expo. BVMs aileron rates have always seemed high to me but the elevators are always spot on.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was very pleased with the setup initially.  I added a little more down elevator throw in order to improve inverted flying, and have increased the rudder throws so I can practice my knifeedge.  But it still balances on the holes in the booms and everything else is stock.

By the way, I edited my previous post as I re-read yours.

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was very pleased with the setup initially. I added a little more down elevator throw in order to improve inverted flying, and have increased the rudder throws so I can practice my knifeedge. But it still balances on the holes in the booms and everything else is stock.

By the way, I edited my previous post as I re-read yours.

Jimmy,

Are you checking balance with gear up or down?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I check the CG with gear down and the UAT full of kero, but all other tanks EMPTY.  I'm using A123's all through the plane.  3-cell ECU in the nose and 2 2-cell Rx packs velcroed to the side of the fuse in the rear of the plane.  Much room for adjustments of CG when I have more time to mess around with it.

I'm going to be painting soon and want to compensate for the tailweight the new colors will end up adding.
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jimmy,

Thanks for the tips. I did my maiden last weekend without incident. Used the recommended throws issued by BVM but found the elevator a bit touchy at high speed. Switched to low rate (about 20% less throw) and have left it there for all flight modes.

I used 1/2 flaps on takeoff and full for landing. About 3/8" uptrimprogrammed for half flapsand1/2" forfull flaps. My CG is per the instructions (on the fuselage holes) but plan to move it back soon.

My field is grass and a bit rough in spots. Made 5 successful flights on Saturday but broke two flex plates the following day. Need to work on my landings! I'm using the stock BVM retracts and Duro struts. Have a set of Pro Links on order to replace the mains and hope that will help.

I'm considering a engine upgrade since the RAM 500 takes longer to get to altitude (at take off) than I like. I'm considering the P70 or 80, but a bit confused at the $300 price difference in the two and would expect the larger turbine to cost more. Any comments?

John

I check the CG with gear down and the UAT full of kero, but all other tanks EMPTY. I'm using A123's all through the plane. 3-cell ECU in the nose and 2 2-cell Rx packs velcroed to the side of the fuse in the rear of the plane. Much room for adjustments of CG when I have more time to mess around with it.

I'm going to be painting soon and want to compensate for the tailweight the new colors will end up adding.

Name:	Sq46538.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	1210976  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congratulations!!! Yes, I also broke a couple flex plates on the first couple flights. I really needed to learn to let the plane settle onto the mains. I had a tendency to fly it onto the nose wheel. Now, I just let her glide in at pretty much idle once I'm about 30 feet from the end of the runway. She settles beautifully.

I ended up adding a lot of expo to the surfaces, but kept the elevator throws so that I could do some more aerobatics, but I know what you mean about the touchiness. In the beginning, someone asked if my aileron servos were twitchy because the plane was rocking back and forth at speed. I kinda laughed and told him, no - my hands had been shaking the whole time!!

I don't know the reason for the cheaper price on the P80-SE, but I have my older P80 dialed up to the max which is about 21 pounds of thrust. The new SE seems to have that and a machined compressor wheel for faster response. I would definitely get the most engine for your dollar there! I'm almost at a 1:1 thrust with my jet and I really enjoy its performance!

Once again, great job on the maiden, and your color scheme is awesome. Very bright! Mine gets its paint this week. Wish me luck!

ORIGINAL: jthomas235

Jimmy,

Thanks for the tips. I did my maiden last weekend without incident. Used the recommended throws issued by BVM but found the elevator a bit touchy at high speed. Switched to low rate (about 20% less throw) and have left it there for all flight modes.

I used 1/2 flaps on takeoff and full for landing. About 1/8" down trim added for half and a little more for full flaps. My CG is per the instructions (on the fuselage holes) but plan to move it back soon.

My field is grass and a bit rough in spots. Made 5 successful flights on Saturday but broke two flex plates the following day. Need to work on my landings! I'm using the stock BVM retracts and Duro struts. Have a set of Pro Links on order to replace the mains and hope that will help.

I'm considering a engine upgrade since the RAM 500 takes longer to get to altitude (at take off) than I care for. I'm considering the P70 or 80, but a bit confused at the $300 price difference in the two and would expect the larger turbine to cost more. Any comments?

John

I check the CG with gear down and the UAT full of kero, but all other tanks EMPTY. I'm using A123's all through the plane. 3-cell ECU in the nose and 2 2-cell Rx packs velcroed to the side of the fuse in the rear of the plane. Much room for adjustments of CG when I have more time to mess around with it.

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI TO ALL ,
    I JUST FINISHED UP READING THIS ALL THRED REGARDING THE BOB CAT , INCLUDING WATCHING THE VIDIO , GREAT MAIDEN, MUSIC AND PRESANTATION.MY BOBCAT IS MY FIRST JET TRAINER . I HAVE ABOUT 100 FLIGHT , WITH A P-80.
    TOP SPEED +- 115 MPH .FLY OF PAVED RUNWAY , BROKE 3 TIMES NOSE FLEX PLATE , AND 5 TIMES ALTERNATE MAIN FLEX PLATS. 2 - FLAME OUT , 1 ECU BATT. FAILER , 1 TURBINE FLAME OUT. AFTER SENT FOR SERVICE - FLOWLESS .
    JR 10X SPECTRUM CONVERTION , SPECTRUM 9100 RX 4 SATELIGHT RX . BULLET PROOF . TO THE NEW COMERES EACH LANDING IS DIFFERENT. IT IS ALL PRACTICE , PRACTICE AND MORE PRC.......
    THE FLEX PLAT WITH THE TRAILING LINKS ARE GREAT , AND REALY SAVE THE PLANE FROM BRAKAGE . AND TRAST ME I HAD SOME ROUGH LANDING , BUNNY HUMPING , JUMPING AND EVEN LANDING UP SIDE DOWN .THE BOB CAT IS SOLID LIKE A ROCK . MY FLIGHT DURATION IS 7 MIN . SET UP FOR LANDING AFTER 5 MIN . THE OLD P - 80 ARE GAS HUNGRY . I WILL RECOMEND THE NEW P - 80 SE , SLIGHTLY MORE TRUST AND FAST RESPOND .
    I LAND WITH FULL FLAPS , UP TRIM ON ELEV , UP AIL ( CROW ) .
    IF YOU NEED MORE INFO ( I AM NOT EXPERT , JUST MY EXPIRIENCE WITH MY BOBCAT ) DROP ME A LINE. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW BOBCAT ONE OF THE BEST SPORT JET THAT CAN TAKE P -70 TO P -160 !!! NOT KIDDING.
    ISAAC
    BTW WHERE IS THE SPELL CK IN THIS FORM ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lasse Palm

Cockpit and Canopy
    I make my own Cockpit/Clear canopy!!

Lasse
    I really like the detailed Cockpit on your Bobcat. Can you tell me where I can get the plastic instrument panels from ???

Thanks
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Paul!
    I used the cockpit interior from Nauwa models in Sweden, they made ​​these cockpit accessories!
    But!!
    The company does not exist anymore..Sorry![&o]

Regards
    Lasse Palm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why did I just now see this? I even searched a while back. Mine is about halfway done, looking forward to reading this thread.

Mine will be all Futaba Sbus with a P100, should be pretty minimal wiring

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What servos are you guys using for the rudders, JR3301 not that common here
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast