Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Rush!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

Guys...  Went to 140mm c.g. And its not so brutal on rotation anymore..

Does anyone know if the skymaster and the feibao kits are identical?  I am looking to get a new pipe for it.  My stock pipe looks iffy.  

What should  i lookout for in a pipe if its suspect? 

Thanks!  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If your going to replace it I would contact Tam at Tam Jets, his pipes are first class

Do you have a photo of your pipe?
You want to check all of the spot welds (especially where the pipe splits into the y section) and make sure they are holding, also check for warping and discoloration of the metal.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Rush!

Thanks Rich,

Forgot to mention, i chopped 15mm off the mains and moved them 15mm also to improve the rotation.  

I pulled put the pipe and just have some copper colored areas, no blue/purple areas on it so it seems fine.  Some concern on the pipe exhaust as its a bit mashed at the double wall support, but seems ok.  Will obaerve it.  Cant really say it is warping

Thanks for this thread Rich, was really helpful ehen i was building the kit.  I think the fb retracts leave alot to be desired so thats probably the next upgrade. 

Regards

Rob

Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 AM
RCISFUN

Rob
These would be interesting to try

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/electron-c-1_165.html
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 PM
imperio
My Feedback: (5)

actualy the way u had the model with no doors is alot more user freindly, but once there installed (right) they work rather well just besure u get a valve that u can adjust the speed of the gear n doors movment i used a u.p.3 retract valve with automatic door control n a good Simple brake unit like jettronics, actually i bought this FEI BOA RAFALE used turbine and all but i find myself cleaning up somones mess some what lol the jet is good condition but im having to basically remeove everything and reinstall everything even though it all worked it wouldve came down n a fire ball if was continued flown like it was, especially the fuel tanks lol ive never seen anything like that! people like this guy r gonna get turbines banned, has anyone got the stock or blow molded tanks for this model because i need em n the tanks that r installed dont hold as much fuel as the stock ones n they r death traps, down right scary, most of the model looks pretty good till u look a the tanks themselves lol looks like somone dipped them n epoxy which makes me wonder *** was going on here that made them decide to do this lol, probly leaking and we all know how the turbine needs to have a extra fuel supply just dripping down its throat as its screaming at 125,000rpm lol can u say BOOOM anyones got those stock tanks or knows of somthing better give me a call plz 405-598-0132 my names Terry, Yanks
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
imperio

i wondered if u guys carryed any tanks for the rafale stock ones or maybe somthing better as in more fuel, i need the stock ones,
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 PM
imperio

i think ur right they would be kewl to get rid of all the other airlines n crap n just plug n play
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
TropicalJet

Hi, I flight the XEJ Rafale (same shape) for 3 years and it is really excellent.!!
Here is a short inbord video of the last flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ufVyVFSnM

Full of fun with yours!

Laurent
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys,
Will start putting together a NIB Tamjets/Fei Bao rafale. This thread is extremely helpful.
I need to buy the seven (7) gear doors cylinders. Anyone knows the stroke length? Are they all the same stroke? Thinking of using Ultra Precision ones.
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 AM
RCISFUN

Hello Edgar
My Rafale has been in storage for quite a while, I plan on getting it out and refurbishing it this winter, when I get a chance I will measure the cylinders.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Edgar Perez

Rich, Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
RCISFUN

OK here ya go...

The stock cylinders as measured from the mounting hole in the cylinder base to the hole in the ball link linkage is 3 3/4" (95.25mm) extended.

The cylinder body is 2" (50.8mm) long.

It appears that they are all the same.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

OK here ya go...

The stock cylinders as measured from the mounting hole in the cylinder base to the hole in the ball link linkage is 3 3/4'' (95.25mm) extended.

The cylinder body is 2'' (50.8mm) long.

It appears that they are all the same.

I hope this helps.
Checking with the UP cylinders chart, the closest seems to be a 1 1/4 inch stroke. Does that seems about right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25043.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1836098  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
RCISFUN

Edgar,
The second one down in the table would be correct (5/16" x 1" cylinder) as I measured with the Ball end fitting attached, so if you add a 1/2" for that it works out to 3.73" which is very close to what I measured.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
RCISFUN

Hobby King has these units for $4.58 ea, a bit less expensive than $25 each for the UP cylinders

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ator_20mm.html

Name:	Gd93891.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1836160  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Edgar Perez

Thanks!
The HK stuff is certainly priced right. I have not have too much luck with Chinese air items before so will need to think it through!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
RCISFUN

At a 5:1 price difference you can order a few spares then perform a leak down test by submerging in water, if a couple fail, no big deal, you'll still be way ahead of the game
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if it makes a difference, i already bought all the available sizes from HK and occasionally replaced a couple of original air cylinders in a jet and they seem to work (i would dare to say) better than the originals...

regards,
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: extra 300

if it makes a difference, i already bought all the available sizes from HK and occasionally replaced a couple of original air cylinders in a jet and they seem to work (i would dare to say) better than the originals...

regards,
I bought a set for my Skymaster 2M viper, as I have not flow it it yet I really could not comment on the reliability in service; however, in bench testing they have worked great! i.e. no leaks.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 AM
prahlad

Hi,

I have just bought one of these jets and it just arrived as you mentioned the structure sure needs a bit of strengthening,is it possible to get the cad drawings ,it would be a great help.

Thanks

P.s. would a 20 lbs thrust engine be enough.....
Old 05-11-2014, 02:14 AM
prahlad

Default Fb jets RAFALE CoG

Hi,

I am back for some serious help,I have not been able to get my RAFALE off the ground as yet it just refuses to get airborne when I checked the CoG, it is perfect when the fuel tanks are full but as the tanks get empty it shifts back a lot making the model tail heavy ..

I am at my wits end and have damaged the landing gear on two occasion trying to get airborne ,,the nose won't budge ...please let me know what I can do to set this right the CoG is at 140 with fuel tanks full

thanks

prahlad

please help if you have any suggestions
Old 05-11-2014, 04:28 AM
Edgar Perez

Prahlad,

1) Move the equipment inside and any weight you may have added so that the CG is established with the tanks empty.
2) Add an 20-30 degrees offset to the canards in the UP position (lift the nose) for takeoff. You can use the same retract swith to activate if you desire.
3) Ensure you have max travel for Elevator function of the Elevon. Use dual rate if needed to avoid havnig too much elevator for cruise flying.
4) In a previous thread or port someone wrote : Shortening the main Oleos by 20mm. This then allowed me to re-position the retracts 20mm further forward whilst still allowing the wheel to occupy the same space in the fus.(retracts go up forwards). She sits a little low on the mains now but It's a necessary compromise as rotation weight still really too heavy on the nose. At least the lift off is more scale nowS.
5) For takeoff, you can have some elevator applied as the airplane accelerates. Then you can continue to push the elevator once takeoff speed is achieved. This may help in keeping the less pressure on the nose.

Good luck,
Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 AM
prahlad

Hi,

that's the problem Edgar the COG is correct when the tanks are full but as they empty the CG moves back drastically,if I set the CG with the tanks empty, than with the fuel the nose will never get of the ground.

i have done the whole removing the 15 mm from the main gear and adding 15 mm to the nose ..but not able to get my head around the cg problem...

in your setup how does it work...

if I do leave the cg correct with the fuel filled then trim it as the fuel finishes will I run out of elevon and canard ????
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Edgar Perez

Originally Posted by prahlad
Hi,
that's the problem Edgar the COG is correct when the tanks are full but as they empty the CG moves back drastically,if I set the CG with the tanks empty, than with the fuel the nose will never get of the ground.
Hi,
Not sure I completely understand your problem. The manufacturer quotes a CG location assuming this is measured with the tanks empty. You then distribute or add weight to have the plane balanced at that point. If you balance the plane with the fuel tanks full, then the number that the manufacturer quoted will not be appropriate.
You should be able to get off the ground with the CG in the manufacturer location, or aft of that (say 140mm).

I flew a Skymaster Rafale and now about to maiden my Tamjet Rafale.
Good luck.

Name:	Hf99108.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1994378  
Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 AM
prahlad

I will try what the manufacturer says, let's see how it goes but the design of the fuel tank placement is very poor as the utilisation of fuel causes a lot of shifting of weight .....not good....

thanks is for the advice.

regards

prahlad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.