Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

You'll be jealous.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

You'll be jealous.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 01:57 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You'll be jealous.....

Talk about a good day for a jet & airplane nut.

I was at the Pax River NAS for work( as a simulation engineer) yesterday. I suppose it's not enough to hang around in the Navy's flight simulation research building where they seem to have one simulator of everything in the Navy inventory plus all the stuff that's being test flown like V-22, x-planes.

Just so happened that they were having a symposium for data communications types and as part of that they had a hangar with static displays. Not just any old fighter, but the X-35 was sitting in there - free to walk up and stick my head in the wheel well. Since it won the JSF competition, the engine had been removed - but it was a complete airplane otherwise. THat was cooler in a way, as you could look up the tailpipe all the way to the intakes and see the internal structure - which is a work of art. BTW- the JSF is a single engine airplane with hover capablity like a harrier, but every bit as big as an F-18. It was side-by-side with one and they are very similar in size. Amazing.

As if that's not enough to drool on, we stepped out the hangar doors to have a look around and about 500 feet away in the hush-house , the X-31 post-stall thrust vector research aircraft was being prepped for engine runs(?). That's a wild looking airplane, with those exhaust paddles sticking out the tail and canards on the nose.

Plus, we ogled a few Super Hornets over by the strike test hangar during our drive out and the brand new KC-130J's were sitting out on the ramp. They look like any other C-130 except for the 6-bladed blender style props.

Did I tell you I was getting paid for that?
Old 03-23-2002, 03:51 AM
Dash7ATP

John,

Can I assume you fly RC Jets? if so where. I used to know someone else up there at PAX River into RC jets. Drop me a line.

Joe
[email protected]
Old 03-23-2002, 04:13 AM
Johng

Default Orlando

Well, I guess I wasn't clear enough - I was on a trip up there for work, from Orlando.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:45 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Well ya, i'm jealous...! You didn't even call and invite me john

Call me, got some incouraging news on our project. Should have confirmations within the next two weeks!

Hows the stinger flying? DId you get the bugs out of the motor?

Todd
Old 03-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Johng

Default OK

Todd, if I need some sys admin help on my next trip, I'll let you know. I didn't even mention the UAV hangers they have up there.

The Stinger hovers a bit below half throttle, although I found some spurious radio/ignition noise that has kept me from flying for a couple of weeks. I put a Bosch cap on it and we'll see how it goes either this afternoon or tomorrow. Even if it clears up enough to fly with PPM, I'll probably put a Futaba 9C PCM in it in the next week or two.

The Hitec digitals are nice, although I'm getting a tiny bit of free play in the one on the rudder. Don't know if its gear slop or bearings. I'll be keeping an eye on it.