Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Like the guys if I could only have one I'd probably have the Hawk, it can be flown fast (like the Germans do!!) but I think it looks wrong.
I have a lot of hours on mine (it did start this thread!) and I have flown it in some very tight fields and rough ground (Aberdeen!!) and it does everything. Probably the easiest and slowest flying KE machine out there! Yes my UF is great to chuck about, but the reason I was flying them differently in the videos is they are different type of aeroplanes. I can actualy fly both pretty much the same!

I don't know Hitec servo numbers as I really don't like/rate them. My Hawk has JR 8711 on the tail, 8511 on the rudder and wing I think 8321/8421...I'd have to look at the build again. Basically tail 2 x 15kg plus is enough and everything else 11kg+

I do have a Powerbox fitted and that makes a difference too

Dave
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you guys see the scale gear that David Searles is selling in the Market section?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=879296

Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Did you guys see the scale gear that David Searles is selling in the Market section?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=879296
Not for this sized CARF Hawk! David's are for the bigger Skygate/CARF Hawk
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Dave. Just what I was hoping to hear.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
RCISFUN

Oh your right...sorry!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
husafreak

After some discussion with my jet "guru" I have decided to go with the Hawk. It will best complement my "fleet". I also read completely through the build log here and really enjoyed it! All of the color schemes are beautiful, but the black ones really appeal to me and especially the "display scheme". Hopefully visibility is not a huge issue with it. I am usually fine with dark schemes. I will probably see if Tam can get me the CARF package deal with a Flash wing tank for smoke since he is just down the road, and I expect orders from Motors & Rotors and Dreamworks will have me back in the shop building. Probably Cheetah power. We'll see if I can come up with a question that hasn't already been answered here!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Two of us in our club have the display scheme and it is no problem to see. Besides its big enough it can almost be any color and not hard to see.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
husafreak

That is great, I saw a Hawk with that scheme at Best In The West and remembered it vividly. It is a tough choice because we all know the Airshow Team colors and Union Jack scheme are great and will never lose their appeal, That's what a Hawk is supposed to look like! But the display scheme is exciting because to me it is new and different.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
husafreak

So would you who have the Hawk say the wing tank from the Flash is an optimal solution for use as a smoke liquid tank? And how about the CARF cockpit? Would it be better to wait and do a Der Jet or Skymaster cockpit later (if and when) I feel the need? It doesn't look like the CARF cockpit is much more than some simple vacuform shapes. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Flash tank in my hawk for smoke and was satisfied with it. I'm doing the same in my Tutor. In terms of cockpit, DerJet all the way.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
husafreak

Thanks, I'll get the tank and use your pics for the install. I'll hold off on the CARF cockpit. If you are anywhere near San Francisco and still flying that Hawk PM me so I can come out and see it. Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 AM
ela

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talkin about the cocpikt, anyone have a picture of this? http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...ory&proId=1121
Been flying the hawk for 3 years now and have nothing negative to say. But still it is empty under the hood and it is a shame....

Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
husafreak

There is a picture somewhere, maybe in this thread, but it is simply vacuform molded white rectangular cockpit tub and seat and panel shapes you cut and fit and paint and detail yourself.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
husafreak

So i went ahead and ordered the Display Scheme Hawk combo with sport gear and a 1.4L smoke tank. Hope to have the kit by Christmas. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for a cockpit and don't want to spend the $600 on the Derjet one, I ordered one from FEJ for their 1/5.5 scale Hawk. I'm in the process of fitting it to the CARF, I think it is going to work out good with a few small mods. to it. It was $180 plus $45 shippiing.

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
husafreak

Got a picture?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
husafreak

So now that I have a Hawk coming I am wondering if there are any special things that need to be ordered separately or that may be time consuming or difficult to get, like maybe the Taylor Made decals. I know Motors & Rotors sells some unique things like the under wing flap covers, rabbit ear scoops, and really nice wing bags. So stuff like that. I'm not talking about all the servos and hardware which I can get here in the US from places like Dreamworks. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 AM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: husafreak
.... rabbit ear scoops....
Aren't those supposed to be included with new kits?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So now that I have a Hawk coming I am wondering if there are any special things that need to be ordered separately or that may be time consuming or difficult to get, like maybe the Taylor Made decals. I know Motors & Rotors sells some unique things like the under wing flap covers, rabbit ear scoops, and really nice wing bags. So stuff like that. I'm not talking about all the servos and hardware which I can get here in the US from places like Dreamworks. Thanks.
I think CARF planes come with wingbags (their IMAC planes come with them at least... don't know about the hawk)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I believe the scoops are included. The wing bags are and a few pieces of Velcro across the cebter section will help keep the two pieces in the wing.

Taylormade was pretty quick in shipping to the states. If you order the det cord for the canopy work slow. Definitely needed a little soapy water for applying those two rub ons.

Was supposed to maiden mine this weekend but the field that I wanted to maiden it became unavailable.

Marty
Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 AM
husafreak

They might come with the "rabbit ears", but I don't know yet. The kit comes with wing bags that just cover the wing panels but not the center section. Dave W. described a wing bag that covers the whole wing awhile back, sounded like a good idea to me. I know not to fly it without the wing fences, and I want the fuselage fences as well, I don't imagine the rabbit ears and scale flap mechanics covers would slow it down or affect it's performance in a noticeable way, guess I will need paint to match the color scheme... I will get in touch with Taylor made and take your advice for the application. I am hoping Taylor Made also does the decals seen in the "Display Scheme" RAF Hawk. Good luck on the maiden, let us know how it goes and your setup (if not already described).
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am hoping Taylor Made also does the decals seen in the "Display Scheme" RAF Hawk. Good luck on the maiden, let us know how it goes and your setup (if not already described).
Yes, Taylormade has the graphics for the display scheme. Unfortunately, the fin graphics don't all fit. This is not Taylormade's fault, CARF got the paint scheme slightly off on the fin , the black area on top is not as large as it should be and won't accomodate the white lettering.

Mike

Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM
husafreak

I checked out the "Tailormade" website and saw some of the decals, I see what you mean about the fin but at least I can get those big colorful emblems!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

There are a couple of wing bags made that are full width and the wing "posts" in from the leading edge so fences are no problem. Do NOT fly without the Fences, its not nice without!

Dave

POP in Germany or Aerotrim in the UK
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 74" wingtote bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.