Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Hi Dave, what are your thoughts on the other "protrusions" available for the Hawk? I believe you, or someone, said the fuselage strakes behind the wing had little effect pro or con on flying, but since they enhance the scale look I will use them. Then there are the bunny ears and your flap mech covers, 3 under each wing. I will include them unless you think they hurt performance. Did they affect the flying qualities in any measurable way? Did you vent the bunny ears to allow more air into the fuselage? Thanks for reminding me about those wing bags "posting" from the rear, something an owner/operator would know about!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fuselage strakes make little difference, but it looks SO wrong without them I would always add them.
    Bunny ears are now included and will be on your kit, make no difference to flying-You should vent them...but I didn't

My wing flap covers probably improved slow speed handling (with flap) a tiny bit, but it was and is good without them. I just liked the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64566.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	1819434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57765.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1819435  
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

better one of bottom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10151.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1819443  
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They look fantastic. Thanks. I'll have to put together a little order from Motors and Rotors...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got a reply from TailorMade decals. Of course I will get the "Display Scheme" stickers and DET Cord. I cant decide whether to get the standard detail stickers, that sheet is 90 eu and I don't know if I want the look of all those little markings or not... Ralf said he thought the British Roundels may be painted on the kit already? If they are not my choices would be buy stickers from him and hope the color matches perfectly or buy/make masks and do it myself. I will have to do some painting anyway for the wing fences and fuselage strakes anyway. Plus I want to redo the paint on the vertical fin so the decals will fit. Is there any consensus on what is the best type of paint to use or whether to get color matched paints from the automotive store, or can we buy paint directly from CARF? If anyone knows, thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: husafreak

Just got a reply from TailorMade decals. Of course I will get the "Display Scheme" stickers and DET Cord. I cant decide whether to get the standard detail stickers, that sheet is 90 eu and I don't know if I want the look of all those little markings or not... Ralf said he thought the British Roundels may be painted on the kit already? If they are not my choices would be buy stickers from him and hope the color matches perfectly or buy/make masks and do it myself. I will have to do some painting anyway for the wing fences and fuselage strakes anyway. Plus I want to redo the paint on the vertical fin so the decals will fit. Is there any consensus on what is the best type of paint to use or whether to get color matched paints from the automotive store, or can we buy paint directly from CARF? If anyone knows, thanks.
    The RAF roundels are already on it, painted in the mold.

I prefer 2 part auto urethanes, they are expensive but, are durable and allow you to blend repairs and match shine quite easily and buff as necessary for a seamless repair. I've use the carf paint, it's a 2 part but, it's quite "soft", doesn't adhere very well and when I tried to buff it, the heat wrinkled it. It's the same paint they use in the mold, doesn't seem to work great for an external finish...at least for me.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CARF paint is rubbish very low quality.. thats why its not fuel proof!

Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, thanks, 2 part auto urethane and let them do the color match. Roundels in the mold, check. Not fuel proof!? Do I need to clear cote this plane after decals and painting to seal and fuel proof it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny, I don't paint, but I have just had an order for CARF paint from a "painter" and he said it was the best paint he'd used....

Not fuel proof...my 6 year old CARF Flash looks as good as day one (as the Classic Flash) manual pixs and its seen...lots of fuel

Mmm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes agree, I've had kero and smoke fluid spilt on my Carf Hawk and Flash (dont ask) no problems what so ever.

Mind you I've never split Bekra on them............maybe someone has?

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uummm i would love to talk to him, he can not have used 'proper' 2 pack... period.

Take a soft cotton buffing pad rub any of the red or blue (black not as bad) and it will transfer straight to the cloth, putting kero on the pad just makes it easier

Try doing the same with 2pac acrylic, nothing on cloth. VERY soft, on my display hawk they must have never put enough hardner in the paint. I am looking at another CARF but it will be a white one...

Seeing that you think CARF paint is so good let me respray your van in it and see if you think the same afterwards.... just don't polish it.

Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Alan, although spilling kero on it will not eat it or bubble it, as he says, you can rub the paint off. Nothing wrong with leaving it, it's just not an auto quality paint. Ok for doing small touch ups but, not much good for larger areas and certainly wouldn't re-do the fin colours with it.

if I remember correctly, CARF has a note on their site stating something to the effect of " it may not adhere that well as an exterior paint as it's meant to be used in the mold." My experience is, they are correct, it comes off easy. Dave, i'm really surprised your painter likes it!

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Funny, I don't paint, but I have just had an order for CARF paint from a ''painter'' and he said it was the best paint he'd used....

Not fuel proof...my 6 year old CARF Flash looks as good as day one (as the Classic Flash) manual pixs and its seen...lots of fuel

Mmm
    I agree... and I do paint.

I bought some CARF paint to repair the broken T-45 that I bought and thought the paint was great for blending in.

Now if you are going to do water slide decals then two part urethane is the way to go
    Rich
    The New Jet Central Rhino SP, Cheetah, Rabbit & Super Eagle owner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, thanks, 2 part auto urethane and let them do the color match. Roundels in the mold, check. Not fuel proof!? Do I need to clear cote this plane after decals and painting to seal and fuel proof it?
    Eric, Don't sweat it.... Jets don't get exposed to fuel like gassers or nitro planes do. I have cleared sections or my f100 with krylon matte. Also, all my transfers are exposed (no coating) and it is all ok.

No worries, just fly it.

If I were you, I would just fly. Then spend the time detailing it.

Later
    jack
    Jack Gerardo Diaz
    BVM Rep, Team Horizon, Team Jet Central

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eric, I think you're over thinking on this plane. It's a scale sport jet. Treat it as such. Put on the wing fences and save the scale detail after you have some time on it.
    Team Elite Aerosport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yrah I know, I'm bored waiting for the kit so talking about it is all I have to do, good info here though, thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am aware of what everyone is saying, I have 10 year old models in 2k and you can pour thinners on it and it is solid...and heavy!
    But the CARF paint covers well...

Anyway, 99% of modellers are happy with it, probably bottom of any complaints I get on these models.

CARF say and I follow it up, if you want something perfect, buy white and paint...

Dw

Opps!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

I have 109 year old models

Dw
    I certainly did not think you where that ancient.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As stated, I am not interested in repainting the entire model! LOL I just need to paint the fences, and maybe the tip of the rudder. If I could do it with a rattle can from the hardware store I would. If I go to the auto paint store I understand it would be very expensive. But since I am waiting for the delivery of my kit anyway I think I will just ask CARF for some touch up paint. And I will give it plenty of time to dry in the dry California sun before I fuel it!
    Oh BTW, I found a website showing the entire masking and spraying process for the real Bae Hawk Display Scheme, that was kind of cool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next up is servo selection. If there is a better servo 's for jets thread to look at on RC U please let me know, but I see the manual recommends JR DS8411 and DS8711 servos. I imagine there is a business reason for this. I fly helicopters and I love Futaba BLS451 servos,they are very popular with the heli community, there is a more powerful version of the BLS451, the BLS452 (14kg 0.14 sec) with specs almost identical to the DS8411. I would like to use these all around on unregulated LiFe 6.6v. We don't need the speed of the BLS451 in this jet, we need the power of the BLS452. I have been running mine on LiFe for years. Any comments? Also, the DS8711 is a very different servo, with over twice the power it hardly seems interchangeable with the DS8411. The manual leads me to believe the DS8411/BLS452 power servo's can be used throughout. Why use the DS8711 then? Seems overkill in a jet where I would consider it a good choice for an IMAC plane.
    Got my tanks yesterday, dreams coming true

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use BLS451 as flap and aileron in one of my jets (not the hawk though I have a 352 on steering) they have been very good but where they are rubbish is when you put the large servo arms on! Too much play in g/box they oscillate like crazy had to take them out of a 55cc Yak 54!

Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use 8711 on flap, rudder, and elevator. 8411s on aileron.
    Team Elite Aerosport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next up is servo selection. If there is a better servo 's for jets thread to look at on RC U please let me know, but I see the manual recommends JR DS8411 and DS8711 servos. I imagine there is a business reason for this. I fly helicopters and I love Futaba BLS451 servos,they are very popular with the heli community, there is a more powerful version of the BLS451, the BLS452 (14kg 0.14 sec) with specs almost identical to the DS8411. I would like to use these all around on unregulated LiFe 6.6v. We don't need the speed of the BLS451 in this jet, we need the power of the BLS452. I have been running mine on LiFe for years. Any comments? Also, the DS8711 is a very different servo, with over twice the power it hardly seems interchangeable with the DS8411. The manual leads me to believe the DS8411/BLS452 power servo's can be used throughout. Why use the DS8711 then? Seems overkill in a jet where I would consider it a good choice for an IMAC plane.
    Got my tanks yesterday, dreams coming true
    Eric,

For some reason, you will find out that JR servos seem to be the most common choice. A combination of 8711 and 8411 seems to be the typical setup most people use. And it seems most manufacturers will make their planes around the dimensions of these servos

I'm sure the futaba will work too, and so will savox, spektrum etc... but people know the most about the JR's so that is probably the typical advice you will get

I am currently trying some spektrum servos on the rafale (6030's oncannards, rudder and nose steering) and so far so good.

One more piece of advise: spend money on a good nose steering servo!!!!, people overlook this, but it is critical to have a strong durable servo. You don't want your servo to fail on take of run at 80mph on the ground

Jack Gerardo Diaz
    BVM Rep, Team Horizon, Team Jet Central

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eric

I used 8411 and 8711 in the manual as that is my choice of servo...and also CARF. The model will fly with 8411 all around but the vast majority of Hawks flying in the UK use 8711 on elevator, rudder, 8411 on ailerons and JR579 on steering. Flaps vary, I have spec'd models with 8421, 8411 and 8711 on flaps.
    I like the 8711 size case and gears, the ailerons will not take the wider servo...

I have Futaba customers who used their servos, no idea which as we don't sell Futaba

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used Futaba 9156(340 oz/in@6.0v) on all surfaces except the elevator which I used 9157's(425 oz/in @6.0v). To me as long as it fits without too much grinding and the weight difference is negligble, why not go for all the torque you can get? The BLS 452 is advertised as a "car" servo. I don't know what that really means.

Marty
    Marty

BOialsos

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast