Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

I was quoted $500 plus $50 shippping on the DerJet cockpit, that's why I went with the FEJ; it was $185 plus $40 to ship. Either way, still a lot of $ for something that if it could be found in Toys R Us it would be $20.

Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

I was quoted $500 plus $50 shippping on the DerJet cockpit, that's why I went with the FEJ; it was $185 plus $40 to ship. Either way, still a lot of $ for something that if it could be found in Toys R Us it would be $20.

Mike
$500 is nuts for a cockpit of this size. It's not THAT much better in detail than the one I got from SM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Finally got flights three four and five in yesterday as it was a warm day for this time of year but we had heavy fog and a low ceiling till the early afternoon. I just felt the need to post again how this plane flies so well. I guess that's why I see so many at the jet events. Do most Hawks fly this good? It just goes where you point it and seems to have no bad habits. We had nearly a breeze yesterday and landings were uneventful. Just a happy customer.

Marty
Marty's Hawk looked *really good* on our last outing - which, with Marty at the sticks means that the darn thing must basically fly itself!

Bob
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Finally got flights three four and five in yesterday as it was a warm day for this time of year but we had heavy fog and a low ceiling till the early afternoon. I just felt the need to post again how this plane flies so well. I guess that's why I see so many at the jet events. Do most Hawks fly this good? It just goes where you point it and seems to have no bad habits. We had nearly a breeze yesterday and landings were uneventful. Just a happy customer.

Marty
Marty's Hawk looked *really good* on our last outing - which, with Marty at the sticks means that the darn thing must basically fly itself!

Bob
Well I could probably come up with a few or maybe more than a few smart ***** comebacks for that statement but the truth is it does practically fly itself.

Marty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73897.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1842909  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

I am a newcomer to this thread and I want to get one of these comp arf hawks. I don't think I have ever come across an airplane with this many positive comments. You guys all factory reps? LOL!

I am getting into jets - I have been flying GS warbirds and 3D helicopters for many years.

All I can say is wow, what a sweet jet!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Still wouldn't sit down and produce a cockpit from scratch for anything like $500, its a snip!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Bob
Well I could probably come up with a few or maybe more than a few smart ***** comebacks for that statement but the truth is it does practically fly itself.

Marty
Love ya Marty!

Bob
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sharam

I am a newcomer to this thread and I want to get one of these comp arf hawks. I don't think I have ever come across an airplane with this many positive comments. You guys all factory reps? LOL!

I am getting into jets - I have been flying GS warbirds and 3D helicopters for many years.

All I can say is wow, what a sweet jet!

The Hawk is waiting for you to pick up.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, I need to pick it up!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Marty
I finally drew up the wing fence in AutoCad, from your photo it looks like yours is mounted at the intersection of the red with the white paint can you confirm.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay74885.pdf (1.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Hey Marty
I finally drew up the wing fence in AutoCad, from your photo it looks like yours is mounted at the intersection of the red with the white paint can you confirm.
Hey Rich,
Here's a pic. I think Dave mentions in the manual that it goes where the rectangular panel line is as you can see in the pic.

Marty

Name:	Yw67379.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1843322  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I just hope I get those suckers glued on straight. I would imagine the wing fences and fuselage strakes would be a destabilizing force if not aligned correctly...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 AM
afterburner

Funny you should say that because that's a picture of the side that went on straight the first time.. The other side was not so lucky and had to be snapped off and re-done.

Marty
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 AM
RCISFUN

Hey Marty Thanks for the photo!

I really hate to have to put these on as they don't belong on the Goshawk, so I think I will have them laser cut out of clear polycarbonate, that way you'll never see them on a flyby

I downloaded the manual and found the reference

Additional Fences and covers
Your Hawk kit includes various parts cut from a color coded glass sheet. The wing
fences are an important feature on the Hawk. The glass fibre fences are fitted to the
wing leading edge just outboard of the aileron/flap break line. If you project a line
forward from the aileron inner edge there is a rectangular panel approximately 12mm
wide and 60mm long marked 45mm back from the leading edge. The wing fence is
mounted centrally on this panel using thick CA or epoxy.
Another feature of the Hawk are the fuselage fins mounted either side of where the
airbrake would be positioned. Two parallel lines are marked on the fuselage making
installation easy. The fins are given additional support by cutting two slots to accept the
location lugs. The fins should be firmly fixed using epoxy. The fins should be fixed with
an angle of approx 115 degrees on the inside edge.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Hey Marty Thanks for the photo!

I really hate to have to put these on as they don't belong on the Goshawk, so I think I will have them laser cut out of clear polycarbonate, that way you'll never see them on a flyby

I downloaded the manual and found the reference

Additional Fences and covers
Your Hawk kit includes various parts cut from a color coded glass sheet. The wing
fences are an important feature on the Hawk. The glass fibre fences are fitted to the
wing leading edge just outboard of the aileron/flap break line. If you project a line
forward from the aileron inner edge there is a rectangular panel approximately 12mm
wide and 60mm long marked 45mm back from the leading edge. The wing fence is
mounted centrally on this panel using thick CA or epoxy.
Another feature of the Hawk are the fuselage fins mounted either side of where the
airbrake would be positioned. Two parallel lines are marked on the fuselage making
installation easy. The fins are given additional support by cutting two slots to accept the
location lugs. The fins should be firmly fixed using epoxy. The fins should be fixed with
an angle of approx 115 degrees on the inside edge.
Rich,
I'm a little concerned. If you install wing fences that no one can see, will they work?
Actually I like the idea. Anything to make it look more scale. Hope we can get some "loose" formation flying in in Kentucky. Are you going to FIF this year?

Marty

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM
RCISFUN

KY Jets definitely
FIF...doubtful...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
husafreak

Do any of you use a gyro on the nose gear steering with the Hawk or does it steer well enough on takeoff and landing to not need one? I never heard of steering gyros until I got my Electra (it does not have one) and it is tricky to redirect once rolling along at high speed...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some images of my new probe that Alan Cooke (Fireblade 5437) has made for my Hawk.

The probe is detailed in every way and fits perfectly into the nose piece that Carf supplies with the kit.

It is removable as it does screw into a fitting that Alan made to insert into the nose piece

In the 3rd picture no sooner then I temporarily mounted the probe fitting on the nose of my Hawk it tried to mate with my UF

Can't wait to get it back in the air.

Stan

Name:	Hf97554.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	1843514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49625.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1843515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90807.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1843516  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering is not a problem, I have a BLS352 on mine plenty of torque (had a spare one) only have enough travel that you really need. This plane tracks as good on the ground as it does in the air, just make sure you have a small amount of toe in on mains

Stan, glad it arrived in one piece or should I say two!

Alan
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 AM
sandseeker

Anyone using electric retracts / brakes on their Hawks?

Chris
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Not that I know of, so far electric stuff seems to need a little more development done from the stuff I have seen used.
The over current used on Eflite retracts does not seem to transfer to larger sets well...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
sandseeker

thanks Dave, what would you recommend, factory sport gear/brakes ? How much less vat ?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, stock gear is great. I have had two gear hang ups in hundreds of flights...both silly with the brake line catching the corner of the gear opening. Other than that, brilliant.

If you have a VAT number register on CARF's site as such, with your VAT number and it will be charged less the German 19% VAT. Euro price plus shipping at 25 euros.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: sandseeker

thanks Dave, what would you recommend, factory sport gear/brakes ? How much less vat ?
831.91 Euro, plus 25 euro shipping.

Dw
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
husafreak

I don't have my Hawk yet. Looks like another month... But I do have the stock CARF Gear! I look at it and then I look at it some more, beautiful piece of work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.