Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First thing to be made in new workshop

First item to be turned in the new workshop 😊 Another CARF Hawk pitot probe!
Also a few pics of my Hawk flying a couple of weekends ago..

Alan
Old 06-01-2018, 07:47 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I still fly mine regularly, approximately 350 flights now? I lost count... And your pitot tube is always on there!
Old 06-02-2018, 12:42 AM
fireblade5437

Originally Posted by husafreak
I still fly mine regularly, approximately 350 flights now? I lost count... And your pitot tube is always on there!

I have lost count of how many of them I have made!!

Alan
Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 AM
fireblade5437

Finished varnish with wet n dry so nice matt finish

Finished...

Start of another probe...

New workshop

Last edited by fireblade5437; 06-02-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Laying rubber for lathe
Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireblade5437

I have lost count of how many of them I have made!!

Alan
Still flying mine and the tube goes on right after engine is running. My two flying buddies from Virginia(Bob and Bob) are still flying theirs as well.

Is that one long piece of butcher block? Must have been painful to notch it for the back wall but it looks great and nothing will fall back there..I have five 6' x 30" BB tables in my shop and those are heavy. How long is your top?
Old 06-02-2018, 01:13 PM
fireblade5437

Originally Posted by afterburner
Still flying mine and the tube goes on right after engine is running. My two flying buddies from Virginia(Bob and Bob) are still flying theirs as well.

Is that one long piece of butcher block? Must have been painful to notch it for the back wall but it looks great and nothing will fall back there..I have five 6' x 30" BB tables in my shop and those are heavy. How long is your top?
Yes one length of best kitchen beechwood :-) 4.5M x 720mm x 40mm and it was bloody heavy! Sealed it all round with silicon, had to use building blocks and wood to get the height then slide the whole worktop over and it was a bit worrying when cutting it that it was right! Got a bargain as on sale at £200.00

Alan
Old 06-03-2018, 07:43 AM
afterburner

Great deal. I paid more than that for one 6' top.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Had the thread starter out yesterday at our local 360' grass strip. Just fitted the third set of main tyres, the P-120SX is on its second fuel pump. Other than that the equipment is the same as the first flight.
I even let someone else fly it! I've become quite protective of my baby, its the sweetest flying Hawk available.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great summer with my Hawk this year. Took me a little while to Gel with mine (just think it was down to my rocky start with jets) but after a few flights this spring I really began to enjoy mine. Just though timing I ended up putting the new Cheetah 160 in mine this spring, and yowzers.... just a tad to much power... LOL. Under a full power pass it will do a loop all on it’s own. LOL. I have a slight mix of down elevator in at full power to help that (and it seemed to work pretty good with my old cheetah) but I think the 160 (which in reality is probably more like a 170) it just performs a beautiful “automatic” loop. It’s quite amusing actually. When ever I take it up I get a request to see the automatic loop... LOL.

Over the winter (which is coming very soon... sigh..) I will swap my old cheetah back in and put the new one in my Pilot RC Predator that can actually use all the power. Besides even the “old” cheetah was PLENTY of power. Probably put about 50 flights or so on it this summer, it’s been a great jet. Only problem I have had has been the nose gear door hinge, the one with the actuator on it, has broken twice now which resulted in the nose gear being stuck down. Better then being stuck up. I think the hinge might be slightly “off” so it’s under stress and eventually brakes. I will have a look at it over the winter during it’s winter maintenance cycle.

Otherwise I have really grown to love flying this jet and it looks SO good in the air!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:39 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I finally took my Hawk that I rebuilt quite a few years ago out for "my" first flight a few weeks ago, first time flying the Comp ARF hawk, it was a non issue event, flew smooth and landed very well.
I have a slight amount of up ailerons all of the time and crow with flap deployment.

It is powered with a old Jet Central Super Eagle, plenty of power!
Since that flight, I added landing lights to the main gear, I will get photos this week when I attend my last Jet event of the year (winter is coming )
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My son Louie's CARF Hawk is plenty fast on an "old, old" Cheetah! I can only imagine how fast it would be on a 170 Cheetah!

Dave Wilshire has pointed out several times that aileron crow is not necessary to land a CARF Hawk, but we can tell you from a *lot* of experience on hard-surface runways in various wind conditions, that aileron crow with full-flaps makes landing much more of a non-event and much less anxiety producing...

Nice plane Rich!

Bob
Old 10-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
My son Louie's CARF Hawk is plenty fast on an "old, old" Cheetah! I can only imagine how fast it would be on a 170 Cheetah!

Dave Wilshire has pointed out several times that aileron crow is not necessary to land a CARF Hawk, but we can tell you from a *lot* of experience on hard-surface runways in various wind conditions, that aileron crow with full-flaps makes landing much more of a non-event and much less anxiety producing...

Nice plane Rich!

Bob
Thanks Bob, I want to make the Tigers scheme, it needed to earn it first before I did the rest of the painting,,
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM
husafreak

Ah my favorite forum! I just got back from Best In The West Jet Rally here in sunny California where I put another 15 flights on my Hawk over five days of flying. The Cheetah 140 is perfect power for this jet, a 160 sounds fun but automatic loops does not!
I need to replace the main gear springs, Airtech sport gear as sold by CARF, one has got softer than the other, taxies one wing low.
And a set of new tires is way past due. I just emailed Airtech. But if anyone knows a source I'm all ears. CARF does not stock Airtech parts for the Hawk.
It is funny how many people ask me how I can still be flying that Hawk, I tell them it can't be beat. The CARF Hawk was my first jet, I also had an Ultra Flash briefly and my other jets are a well used Skymaster Cougar and a newish BVM PNP F-16. They all have their charms. But as I told a gentleman who wanted to buy my Hawk last weekend, no, it's a keeper!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree I'm well past 350 flights with my hawk. Im also past due for a set of main tires.
I've flown mine with a cheetah 140 and rhino 170. I like it best with the cheetah.
The residual thrust on the 170 was a bit much on landing. I also use crow for landing on mine.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Dave Wilshere

Ah my favorite forum! I just got back from Best In The West Jet Rally here in sunny California where I put another 15 flights on my Hawk over five days of flying. The Cheetah 140 is perfect power for this jet, a 160 sounds fun but automatic loops does not!
I need to replace the main gear springs, Airtech sport gear as sold by CARF, one has got softer than the other, taxies one wing low.
And a set of new tires is way past due. I just emailed Airtech. But if anyone knows a source I'm all ears. CARF does not stock Airtech parts for the Hawk.
It is funny how many people ask me how I can still be flying that Hawk, I tell them it can't be beat. The CARF Hawk was my first jet, I also had an Ultra Flash briefly and my other jets are a well used Skymaster Cougar and a newish BVM PNP F-16. They all have their charms. But as I told a gentleman who wanted to buy my Hawk last weekend, no, it's a keeper!
Springs on CARF site
9TR324

D
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This bird is a true flier. I have about 68h on first and second air frame combined. Second one was bought just to free as many build hours as possible so no disasters there. Trainer was sold year ago and now flying happily with new owner.

For those who see automatic loop when advancing throttle I'd recommend moving CG further back. Both of my planes have flown dead straight with all throttle settings(140N). Just different speed. I have flown with 218mm with no bad habbits... close to 215 is sweet spot for me. Personal taste of course.

/Jyri
Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

The thrust line on early kits is what causes the pitch up under power. My model had the elevator servo plate too low in the fuselage and with the front of the tailpipe as high as it would go (hitting the elevator plate at the rear) it looped under full power. I got CARF to raise the plate 10mm on later kits. The manual where I talked about 6mm packers under a JetCat mount was for the original servo mount place, I have guys here who mounted the turbine on top (bottom looking through the wing opening) of the turbine rails and then aligned the turbine with that.
I have a throttle to elevator mix at cruise speed, I only ever use full power doing big loops when the pitch up does not matter!

D
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM
afterburner

Check with Altecare for tires.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM
husafreak

Thanks Dave, I was told by Andreas of CARF last week to seek the springs directly from Airtech. I was also told by Erwin at Airtech that they are no longer in business with CARF! He did say I could get springs from him directly.
Thanks for reminding me about Altecare, I probably bought tires from them last time, 2-3 years ago. I'll look to them if I can't get the tires from Airtech.
I used the packers as detailed by Dave and I also have down elevator mixed with thrust above 50%. The mix works perfectly.
I never used crow but it is very popular with this and many jets. I was careful to set mine up as detailed by Dave. I can't even remember now but I believe it has the ailerons not perfectly aligned with the flaps. I believe my CG is about 210mm. It needs tons of down elevator stick for outside maneuvers! But somehow it is perfect in the end. I do think it is very sensitive to CG.
I have learned over the years not to raise the nose too much on landing, it will roll suddenly if you hold it off the ground in the flare until the nose is very high. It's no F-16! Actually mine will begin to snap at any speed if I haul back too aggressively on the elevator. So mine is set up with not too much throw and I only see that trait once in a great while when I try to throw it around like my F-16.

Last edited by husafreak; 10-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 PM
afterburner

Be careful with Airtech. Last time I dealt with Erwin for some gear parts for the Hawk, he didn't take CC's or Paypal. Had to wire money and he charged me $75.00 shipping for a 2 lb. package. Would have almost have been better off buying a whole new set of gear directly from Carf and just have extra parts.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM
husafreak

Yikes!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM
husafreak

Well, buying springs and tires has become a little messy. CARF told me they have broken ties with Airtech. I went directly to Erwin at Airtech and he had me wire transfer the money for a set of tires and springs, we emailed back and forth a few times to get that order processed. Now several months and several emails after payment I have received no replies or supplies from Erwin and his site now says "out of business". Here in California we fly off very rough asphalt for the most part and I have to find a set of tires. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by husafreak; 12-11-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:45 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in 2016 I ordered a set of springs to replace the weak ones that came with the gear and spare tires from airtech, I had to wire him the money $ 144 for $50 worth of stuff. It took a couple of weeks to show up and they were the same springs . I have been flying it with electrical tape wrapped around the strut and spring per Dave's recommendation. The hawk is a great flyer, I am using a k160 and it is a hot rod for sure.

Karl
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM
husafreak

Well, after many attempts I did hear back from Erwin this morning, he said he shipped the package weeks ago. I'm hoping he can tell me the shipper or give me a tracking number because I never got it. But there's hope...
So I haven't called Altecare yet.
Anywhoo, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Last edited by husafreak; 12-12-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
jetmodeller

Hi all just bought a second hand C a r f Hawk just two hours flight time and very well built, jet munt 140 and flys great.
it does not have the fuz strakes and if some body would be good enough to let me know the measurements I would be very grateful , width front and back and length would be good.thanks

has taken me a week to read this thread from start to Finnish!, but well worth it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.