Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

You would have to rework the wood a little to put the Electrons in. I've not had a set yet to see exactly what will be required, will talk this through at JP this weekend

D
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Dangerous words...I was told ��

No, the gear became a problem when Airtech shut its doors with little warning, but like most of the range Electron are making the mechanics for the two Hawks now, so things are good again.

DW
Thanks for that Info Dave. I got that info directly from my sales rep last week as I inquired about ordering a new one in a custom scheme. Is it just a temporary hold on the kits?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 AM
mjunior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to rework the wood a little to put the Electrons in. I've not had a set yet to see exactly what will be required, will talk this through at JP this weekend

D
Thank you DW for the feedback.
It is good to know that a new landing gear is available but would be much better if Carf would offer tires for the old gear.
Having to change the whole gear just because there is no tires available... no good.
Regards
Old 09-09-2019, 06:16 AM
Dave Wilshere

CARF did not close the supply, but anyway the same 100mm tyres are available from elsewhere like here...

http://www.behotec.de/xtcommerce/index.php?page=product&info=68
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM
mjunior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CARF did not close the supply, but anyway the same 100mm tyres are available from elsewhere like here...

Vollgummirad 100 mm * 28-R5-V
Very good news.

That you
Old 10-12-2019, 09:00 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi!!

any one knows the length of the Main and nose wheel legs???
I have a spare of a Pilot 2m Viper and would like to buy the Hawk if I can use them in the hawk...
Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Vollgummirad 100 mm * 28-R5-V
Wow, thanks for that Dave! FYI a year ago I was unable to source replacement tires and ultimately paid dearly for a set of new "high speed" tires and wheels from Altecare which I was able to use on my Hawk. These are hard rubber tires though and are quite heavy. But service life appears to be better, the stock foam tires wear quickly on old runway surfaces here in California. I am not sure they would work well in grass though they are narrow. Even my nose tire is getting worn out after about 450 flights!

But right now my Hawk is grounded for want of main gear springs. If you or anyone knows where I can buy a set of new springs I would be very grateful!

The CARF Sport Hawk landing gear requires exact dimension springs. A hard or bounced landing can kill a spring and then you have different extension angles at the gear, resulting in a wing low taxi stance and a tendency to veer toward the low wing after landing. And yes, I had a few hard landings over the years. So that is where I am at right now.
I was able to provide the CARF employees who flew at Best In The West jet meet in CA last week with a "sprung" or stretched spring and they said they would search for one in their storage but I have not heard back so I am not confident they have any.
I also inquired into having some made by McMaster Carr but it would be very expensive for a small batch and even though I can get the dimensions correct there is no guarantee that they would be strong enough to hold the weight of the Hawk gear at full extension.
And unfortunately I am one of the last to have dealt with the original gear supplier and owner or Airtech, yes, he stole my money, when I told him I never received my order of tires and springs (no tracking ever provided) he told me it wasn't his fault if I never got the package and soon after his website was offline. Sorry to vent but you see this has not been easy!
Old 10-12-2019, 09:29 AM
husafreak

But right now my Hawk is grounded for want of main gear springs. If you or anyone knows where I can buy a set of new springs I would be very grateful!
Old 10-12-2019, 09:32 AM
husafreak

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Hi!!

I have a spare of a Pilot 2m Viper and would like to buy the Hawk if I can use them in the hawk...
The Hawk main gear has an unusual or very specific geometry. Not sure about the Pilot Viper...
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Hi!!

I can get you the lengths, but if you do not have the original retract units it’s of no use, others won’t fit or do not have the correct retracting angular travel which is close to 100 degrees.

also, was told the Hawk has been discontinued, yet it is still in the website, so who knows...

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 10-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:10 AM
husafreak

The CARF website has the Hawk listed for sale in multiple color schemes and a new electric retract set available for it.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

If the warehouse stock is right there are plenty of 2.3mm springs in stock in Germany.
email [email protected] and ask to check 9TR326 stock

Dave
Old 10-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

The Viper gear and legs won’t fit
Old 10-12-2019, 01:13 PM
husafreak

If the warehouse stock is right there are plenty of 2.3mm springs in stock in Germany.

Dave
I'll try. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
The CARF website has the Hawk listed for sale in multiple color schemes and a new electric retract set available for it.
saw the same, just sharing what the CARF rep told me when I requested a quote to buy a kit, would he lie to a customer about it being discontinued? curiously, Electron does not offer this gear, yet all others are offered as stated on CARF’s website...

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 10-12-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:06 PM
husafreak

Aye carrumba! I wish we had this discussion earlier as I just spent 5 days flying with the CARF gang and I could have asked. They are a nice group of guys at the events when I see them. It is a fantastic flying jet and tough as nails. I can't imagine why they would drop it unless sales dwindled to nothing. How hard could it be to remove a discontinued model from their website? I will have to consider replacing the entire gear if I can't get springs but that is the next step. In any event I did not mean to disagree with you, I was just stating what I saw on their website. It would be great if your CARF rep could chime in here but Dave W. is a rep so maybe he can find out for us what is going on regarding the sport Hawk and the new Electron gear.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM
husafreak

Just now flipping through my new October issue of the AMA magazine and the CARF full page ad says "We got gear!!! BAE Hawk, etc, finally got their new landing gear. Together with our patiently waiting customers we are so happy about the newly developed Electron and Down&Locked based electric gear and their custom made scale struts and wheels, etc."
Old 10-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

I guess when you were told it was not available was after Airtech closed and they had not found a source of gear. The decision was made to go to three electric gear manufacturers and use their products, some mixing units and leg manufacturers to end up with a product that matches CARF standards.

When I see a complete set of the 1:5.5 electric gear I will give you more info.

Dave
Old 10-21-2019, 01:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Another CARF Hawk weekend at our JMA event. I've spent 2019 fighting the bad balance brigade, you would not believe the number of people flying nose heavy models...and really not getting the best from their craft. This weekend there were two Hawk's flying and just watching the way they flew I could see they were noseheavy. So I set about moving batteries and adding lead to the tail to get them right.

Both these models are 140 powered.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Second to that! I wasn't very impressed about my first flights because of forward CG. Hawk wanted to loop with power and it just didn't go straight at all. I hate that.

Move CG back and maybe reduce elevator movement for your taste and it'll go straight with every throttle setting, continue climbing or stay in line on dive. One handed knife-edge. Throttle only for controlling speed and pure surfaces with almost no coupling on every other direction!

I'm not big fan of air brakes and retracts anymore because of maintenance but now we have good option for those. Too bad Electrons are not drop in fit to my knowledge. Does anyone have installation pics about Electrons in main wheels? I might even upgrade to electrics. Also considering assymmetric elevator travel to get more of it on negative G manouvers.

/Jyri

Last edited by jjantti; 10-21-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 AM
husafreak

Love the 2010 scheme! Maybe because I have one? Funny how at most events I see that scheme on a lot of planes but I'm the only one with a Hawk!
Maybe people are afraid to get the CG too far back? I have found the Hawk to be pretty sensitive to small changes once you get into the "perfect CG" range.
I have do have a small throttle to elevator mix, down elevator above 1/2 throttle. On my Hawk if I was doing a flyby at low power and pushed up the throttle the nose would come up before the airspeed increased. This indicated a thrust line related effect. Dave addressed that by blocking the turbine mount and I had done that. So a small elevator correction keeps the nose from coming up on acceleration or dropping on deceleration my jet.
With a BVM 1/6 F-16, SM Cougar, and the CARF Hawk in my hangar, all propelled by JC Cheetah's, if I really want to throw down some aggressive flying the Hawk is my go to! Knife edge could not be better and it snaps like a pattern plane. I agree the elevator is less powerful in outside maneuvers, not sure I want to "press to test" by increasing travel though.
I recently went through a worrisome stretch when I could not source gear parts for the original Airtech gear. So it might be wise for anyone planning on flying their Hawk into the future to grab a set of main gear springs and tires while they are still available. It may not apply so much to grass flyers but here in California I fly off rough old runways and the surface eats tires, plus a hard landing or bounce will stretch the springs. If you notice your Hawk is sitting wing on the ground the only solution is a new spring, or a set of new springs.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 PM
husafreak

Sitting wing low...
Old 10-26-2019, 04:19 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave
Hello Dave, I used that email address for a set of springs, but it’s been over a week and I haven’t received a reply yet. Hopping for 2 sets of springs and maybe a set of tires?
Old 10-26-2019, 09:03 PM
Dave Wilshere

OK, I’ll check they got the email. Who is your CARF Rep? He can help too
Or if you have a CARF account just put that part no in and you can order springs. Tyres, I think you can only go to Behotec 100mm tyres are the same.

Dave
Old 10-27-2019, 07:07 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I’ll check they got the email. Who is your CARF Rep? He can help too
Or if you have a CARF account just put that part no in and you can order springs. Tyres, I think you can only go to Behotec 100mm tyres are the same.

Dave
Dave,

I was able to find them on the site using the part number. I requested a shipping quote for the order thanks Dave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.