Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat flame out. " Low pump voltage .85"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat flame out. " Low pump voltage .85"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat flame out. " Low pump voltage .85"

I had the first flame-out today on my 6yr old Super Bandit.The P120SE engine and ECU is new but the pump, valves and Nicads are the original ones. I cycled the nicad recently and all seemed fine. Now although I have had the thing all that time I have never had to play around witth the ECU so I am not up to date with what the messages mean. So it's telling me the pump voltage was low but the strange thing was it flamed out on final flare and not while flying at full power. I think it said "low pump voltage .85" or something like that for the reason for the last shudown. Does that message tell me the Nicad is no good?

thanks
Jason
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts
Default RE: JetCat flame out. " Low pump voltage .85"

Jason

I doubt it-probably the pump is dead

Dave
Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
jason

Dave

if I never had the game boy telling me the pump voltage was low then I would have thought the same thing because if you have a dicky pump then it normally shows up when turning slowly (like when at idle on landing) Would it just not have shown " low RPM" if it was the pump at fault?

Jason
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
SinCityJets

............you said "dicky"!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jason

I had the first flame-out today on my 6yr old Super Bandit.The P120SE engine and ECU is new but the pump, valves and Nicads are the original ones. I cycled the nicad recently and all seemed fine. Now although I have had the thing all that time I have never had to play around witth the ECU so I am not up to date with what the messages mean. So it's telling me the pump voltage was low but the strange thing was it flamed out on final flare and not while flying at full power. I think it said "low pump voltage .85" or something like that for the reason for the last shudown. Does that message tell me the Nicad is no good?

thanks
Jason
I'm not sure about the message, but I am sure you need to get some new batteries!! 6 years old is old!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Jason

I've never seen this message in 8+ years of JetCat, thinking about it you sure it did not say Low RPM? and you just saw the pump voltage on the GSU??
Even 6 years old the battery might not be at fault, Nicads were brilliant and I'll miss them! But Li-Po's are great and stay charged!
I would say run it again, check the pump voltage at full throttle, on a P120SE it's normally around the low 3v (3.2v) figures, that will give a clue whether the tanks/filters are clogged and also the state of the pump brushes...yours would have been worked hard!
Low RPM could be the black cable-plug and unplug it to check connections.

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Just phoned JC and they say this is not a message and that your eyes/reading are bad!!

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And he flies jets............................save us!

m
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Duncan

I take it you got her down ok mate?

I got a spare pump with that p70, so if you need it let me know and i'll bring it around when i come over.

Looking at the blue skies yesterday i was gutted that i didn't take the day off !! Going in hospital today, but i'll bell you as soon as i can drive again.

Dunc
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 AM
IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason

I have had two flame outs on two P80's, both were at mid to idle power settings. The first was the JetCat battery ( 2 years old though how long since the cells were manufactured I don't know ), the engine flamed out on finals as I was setting up for landing and subsequent attempts to run up the engine to full power caused the spool up to hesitate then the ECU shut the engine down. Replaced the battery and all was well again. The second was at a mid power setting and I was fortunate to get the plane back onto the runway. This turned out to be one cell of a six cell NiMH pack going short circuit (six months old) and also caused the ECU settings to become corrupted and the fuel pump would not run at all when I tried to run the engine again. I had to reset the ECU as per the manual, I replaced the cell and all is well. On both occasions the Hand held terminal gave " Fuel Fail" as the reasons for shut down.

Ian B
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Just phoned JC and they say this is not a message and that your eyes/reading are bad!!

Dave

I may be mistaken on what it actually said but it definatly related to battery power or voltage and definatly ended with "______ low .85" The engine was running fine until the throttle stick was moved back to idle, then it flamed out on final flare. I did fly again after and all was fine so I can't find out what it actually said now.

I'll get a new Nicad and try that and I'll get another pump if I need to.

Jason