Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Four Maiden Flights

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Four Maiden Flights

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Maiden Flights

We had four successful maiden flights yestereay .... Bobcat, Dragon, F86 and T45. Pictured on the left are Eric Clapp and Bill Hatcher with their fleet, Boli Muentes with the T45 on the right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97155.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1141920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67970.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1141921  
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM
pilott28

Default RE: Four Maiden Flights

Here are a few shots of the planes in the air ....

Name:	Ca81286.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1141935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60680.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1141936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31109.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1141937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71184.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1141938  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM
pilott28

Bill and Eric flying the Dragon

Name:	Lj23905.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1141940  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing Keith. Looks that it was a very nice and fun day. Congratulations for the maidens. The Dragon is one hell good flying plane. I sold mine and the new owner is very happy with it. Plane still on the Island so I'm still enjoying seeing it flying. Say hi to Eric.

Alex
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Keith,

Looks like it was a good day! Even had nice wx and a great flying site. BTW, where were is that site?

Does this mean that Boli will now be flying something other than that tired old F-15?

Craig
Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 AM
SGT.SHAGGY

Bill when you said full flaps you really did mean full flaps
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Congrats I thought I was really doing somthing with 2 maidens in a day! But 4 that has just raised the bar. Good job.

Ronald R Long
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Truly a GREAT DAY. . .

The sight is truly Shangri La. . .and a privelage to be invited and participate. Thanks Keith,

A few answers to possible questions;

The Dragon weighed in at 28lbs dry, powered by our jf120 Super Eagle. Flap system is unique in as much as they are full fowler flaps. This jet takes off perfectly w/o flaps and does it on its own. However, landing flaps must be at the full 90 degree position for landing. Trust us, we tried it both ways. Flaps require no mixing of elevator, BUT do require flying to the grownd with power. This jet is very fast and does not require more thrust. Actually will fly fine with a range of 24 to 30. Flat out wide open, on step, is very, very fast. Set ups as recommended are just about perfect.

F-86 is powered with our jf100 Falcon which proved way too much power. Entire flight was flown at 1/2 throttle, so I will dial it down for the next flight. Again, Flaps as set up using factory settings proved perfect and there is no pitch change in either flap setting. NOTE: this jet is very roll sensitive. Factory suggested throws proved too much. Expo was at 35%. Jet weight in at just under 25lb. A perfect maiden flight.

BobCat powered by our VT 90 Rabbit (this is the third B'Cat with this power) and as everyone has said, it is the perfect turbine/ airframe combination Nothing really needs to be said about BVM's BobCat. It's all been said before. Dustin did the initial set ups with the 12X with Keith Sievers changing only slightly a few of the settings. A perfect maiden flight.

I had a most enjoyable flight with the Dragon, but sadly, we ran out of time.

Kudo's to Bill Hatcher, builder of the F-86 and Dragon. . .also maiden flight on the Dragon. Bill is an extraordinary builder who's attention to detail and performance of equipment is over the top. If you need a jet or IMAC plane built, Bill is your source. Thanks also to Boli Muentes (flies like he is sitting in the cockpit)who maidened the F-86 and pronounced it perfect with no changes other than in the roll set up. His touch is as I said "like he is sitting in the cockpit." Turned to me and said. . ."you will enjoy this jet every time you fly it".

Last, but certainly not last, Keith Sievers built the BobCat and did the maiden. Keith's maiden program is well thought out and is a religion with him. I stood by him (just to the rear as he does not want to see his caller) and responded to two requests during the flight. Again a perfect maiden.

A full day by anyone's measure. . .4 maidens in one day all within a timespan of 4 hours (I was late by 25 minutes) with no issues. Each jet built to perfection and double checked and again checked. Only issue was the need to reverse the servo on the F-86 Rudder.

Keith, we thank you for the privelage and kindness you extended each of us. Shangri La remains a secret.

Cheer to all,
Eric Clapp
Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Keith,

Looks like it was a good day! Even had nice wx and a great flying site. BTW, where were is that site?

Does this mean that Boli will now be flying something other than that tired old F-15?

Craig
Craig, we have access to an OLF occasionally. It takes paperwork each time we use it, we usually don't know until the night before if we have permission, hours are restricted and we generally have to come and go together .... but for doing a maiden, it is a perfect field as there are so many outs. Despite the restrictions, we are grateful to have the field.

Boli will have to comment but I think he is about to reach fleet commander status. I have run out of fingers so I can't exactly tell you how many he has, but I think he will have problems in the future making decisions on what to fly.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

That's what I call a "great day" Congratulations guys, they all look great.

Keith, with Waycross off the charts it would be great if you can get access for a nice little weekend for us guys that don't have the luxury to such nice place.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM
pilott28

I have thought about it, but the hours (10-4), the fact that nothing can be left set up over night and the short notice all make it a bit problematic. I am talking to a local airport, though, that is a possibility for a long weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
bevar

Ah yes...what a great day! First off...thanks go to Keith for making the arrangements for us all so we could fly where we did. 2nd...thanks again to Keith for doing such a great job building my T-45. It went off pretty much without a hitch and is a great flier. He does have a point about my fleet. Hmmm....lets see...Lightning, F-15, T-45, Velox, F-4 and of course there is the mothballed Tango...I think I am going to need another trailer!

Thanks to Eric for letting me flog the F-86...it sure is a sweet ride. Pretty interesting that it flew pretty much straight perfect out of the box. I was really impressed on how easy it flew. With both the T-45 and the Saber...I had to adjust my thinking on power management. With the Lightning...it's power to the runway and with the Hawk and Saber...you really need to chop it on base leg and let then coast in. That being said...the speed brakes were inop on both jets so I am sure that will make a big difference.

Yep...a great day indeed...4 maidens and no scratches...a job well done by all!

Beave

Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

Thanks for sharing the photos , which kit was the F-86 ?

Thanks
Charlie
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Charlie:

F-86 is the current Slymaster kit. This particular color scheme was done for me at my personal request and was to be the only one. Hmmmmm just after it shipped, it was shown on Slymaster's web sight. All that aside, it had its engineering quirks, which when Bill and I put our collective thoughts together, the jet came together quite nicely. Honestly, this jet does fly very, very well. Please see my comments about control throws. If you want to order, do the 50 yard line coin toss. . .be sure to call the coin while it is still in the air. . .those are the rules you know;.! ! !

Should you decide to purchase this jet, you will not be disappointed in its flying characteristics. For build info, please contact me at [email protected]. Bill and I will make it easy for you.

Eric Clapp
disposed of Slymaster Dealer
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM
rcjetmodels

Congratulations for all you guys, well done.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Bill Hatcher
My Feedback: (2)

We tried to talk Sgt. Shaggy into comming up with his Fei Bao F9 Panther, but he could not take the time off of work. I think that the real reason is that his wife would not let him come out and play See you @ FJ