Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Model releases "Tornado"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Model releases "Tornado"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Model releases "Tornado"

what happened to the pictures?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures here:

[link]http://www.flyeaglejet.com/Tornado.html[/link]
Old 03-07-2009, 06:30 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone managed to get any info about the options? In particular the spoiler and refuel probe.

I think I can see a surface on the back of the wing. Does it have flaps?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
barua64

TEST
Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
etibedossa

Your test is OK,hello Antoine!Etienne.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Hawk_292

Yes it will come with flaps, just like the F-14. No details on the refuel probe or spoilers other than the price. I've ordered both for my kit because the aircraft I'm basing mine on had one of these probes fitted. Mine is going to be the colour scheme of the SAOEU GR1 which I worked on and flew in. Don't think I'll be coupling in the spoilers with the tailerons for the first few flights though. The lift dump could be too aggressive. Might be better for coupling in with the wheel brakes after landing to keep it on the ground. Delivery should be around 2 months. TC
Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
siclick33

I've decided against ordering one for the time being. The pre-order special price isn't low enough (compared to the projected retail price) for me to take the chance and, to me, their policy of all cash up front when they don't even have a prototype flying is unrealistic. I also would surprised if their quoted delivery of 2 months is anywhere near accurate as the model obviously isn't finished yet. Also Bob's question about their definition of 'finished' and 'released' (which remains unanswered) leads me to think that the company is not afraid to mislead people and this makes me nervous.

I await the results of the first deliveries with interest and I can't wait to see a build thread progress.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 AM
molo_30

Give it six months siclick.

Ask me how I know..... [&o]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Hawk_292

I had to wait 4 months for my Hawk kit to be ready for collection when I ordered it from Germany in 2006 so 2 months or longer is no big deal for me. I already bought the F-16 from FEJ and found their customer service has been superb. So it did not concern me having to pay up front for a kit. Many kit suppliers and manufacturers ask for the full payment up front.

By the time I get my Tornado and have it built ready for flight, then I'm sure plenty others will have flown. As we have witnessed many times in this hobby, a simple test flight by the manufacturer does not mean the model is fault free. It also does not guarentee success Even a well proven products fail in the air. But I think much of the success of a model can be put down to the owner's building and flying skills.

TC

Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 AM
siclick33

Most manufacturers that I know of that ask for payment up front actually have the item available for sale and it ships fairly soon. I was in contact with Grumania recently regarding their SU27 which, at that time, was out of production. My name was taken and put on a waiting list and when the model was ready I paid and it was shipped. I understand Comp-ARF sometimes takes deposits to reserve places on a order schedule but, as far as I am aware, they only take full payment when the model is ready to ship.

I agree with the statement about modellers building and flying skill but 'a simple flight test' would at least prove the model is capable of flying. I would suggest that the model shouldn't be released to the market on the basis of one flight test anyway. That was part of the basis of my comment about the price being so close to retail. You are effectively doing their testing for them and are almost paying full whack for the priviledge. In my opinion the first 'beta' kits should be at a vastly reduced rate and not just a few hundred dollars off.

Hawk_292, please don't take this as me bashing your decision; I applaud you for giving it a go and have great respect for all those that have taken a chance. I will await your experiences with great interest to decide whether to have a go myself in the future. I sincerely hope that it all goes well for you, and everyone else that has ordered a model.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a comment on a new FEJ jet that is actually out on the street being (at at least attempting to be) flown by customers:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8555371

I took my 1/9 FEJ F-15 out yesterday for a flight and the main gears (the only FEJ LG parts still left in the jet) wouldn't retract *again*.

I would think carefully about sending money for a jet that is "finished" and "released" but (like all of their products) untested, unperfected, and not even delivering, but YMMV...

Bob
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
BBdriver-inactive

hi rhklenke

i saw you have posted a lot comment to FEJ products. How aobut any comment on this topic?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...d%2CL39/tm.htm

would like to see your comment too
Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hawk_292

I thought about waiting for the test flights and video released before placing the order but the temptation of a 1/3 off the price was enough for me. My decision was also helped by having a desire to own a model Tornado GR1 for many years now, having worked with RAF Tornados back in the 80’s. And this FEJ Tornado looks particularly good with many of the features and size that makes it appealing to me.

So I guess I’ll have to take that chance whether it’s a good model or not. As I said before much of the model’s success comes down to the builder and flyer. I have learned to take some of the negative comments on this forum with a pinch of salt.

When it turns up, hopefully in mid May, will post pictures on RCUniverse. Not being the fastest builder on the block, I doubt I’ll have it flying this year. Most likely spring 2010, but only when I’m 100% sure it is ready for flight, not before.

Next on my wish list is a Harrier GR5 kit. Any kit manufacturer out there willing to take this model on? I'll buy one.

TC
Old 03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: BBdriver

hi rhklenke

i saw you have posted a lot comment to FEJ products. How aobut any comment on this topic?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...d%2CL39/tm.htm

would like to see your comment too

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but it doesn't sound good. I would hope that if there is a problem that they would fix it. My only experience with Jet Legend is having one of their F-15's (used with Robart gear) and it was very stout, and I just finished one of their T-45's and everyone seems to like that airplane - after they released a new wing that wasn't as prone to tip stalling.

Of course there was an issue with several Comp ARF Lightnings loosing their horizontal tails, the first set of gear I got with my Comp ARF Euro was junk, a few BVM Ultra Bandits imploded, and I've had plenty of leaky main gear cylinders in the 5 Kingcats I've built. Nobody's perfect, for sure.

On the other hand, the reps. and service from BVM and Comp ARF are great - there's no shortage of expert advice and help with their products. In addition, Fei Bao has built the same type of thing here in the US - mainly through Wagner I'd guess, with guys like Dom, Lewis, and Keith Severs who build and *fly* their prototypes and provide feedback to the factory that gets Incorporated into the models. Without getting into the BVM/Skymaster thing, it would appear that Skymaster will have that now and if you buy a JL product through Mike Lin at GJC, you'll get support too.

My problems with FEJ are:

- all of their air, gear, and wheel system parts are junk and don't work out of the box
- the structure of the airplanes I have (F-15 and Rafale) are too soft and weak and I'm afraid that they won't stand up to normal use
- their customer service, while fast, consists of them sending out more of the same junk that came with the kit
- their testing at the factory is virtually *non-existent* and I don't believe that they have anyone at the factory who is a truly knowledgeable modeler to help then identify and fix problems
- they have made a *few* fixes to their designs to try and fix problems, but those haven't appeared to be successful and the problems with some of their products have never been addressed. I bought my F-15 a year ago and if you look at the thread on that airplane, there are guys who bought them two monts ago and are having the *exact same* issues I had a year ago.
- they are "designing" and "releasing" complex jets that they have nowhere near the expertise to perfect
- they keep taking money for jets that are "finished" and "released" in the un-flying prototype (and yet nicely painted) stage while at the same time, there are people who have paid significant sums of money for jets that are "shipping," but they haven't gotten theirs yet (2 weeks seems to be a popular phrase)

They are doing some really interesting jets and their stuff does look very good, so I keep hoping that they'll straighten up, but so far, its SOS. Perhaps they should drop the kits for the stuff that everybody else makes (better) like the F-16, F-15, and F-18 and concentrate on the unique aircraft that they want to "release."

Bob
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks awesome [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
BBdriver-inactive

some news about Tornado from FEJ site again. Interesting

http://www.flyeaglejet.com/Tornado.html

BB
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
autorot

hello,
I have the F16 1/8, the L39 1/7 and F18 1/7, lot of skymaster plane (F18, Rafale, F15), jet legend plane (T45) .. and other and i totally agree with rhklenke ...

The plane are cheap (at the beginning...) but lack of test, design issue, and delivery delay are really unacceptable ..
synthesis, their models are put on sale early

James chen is helpful and friendly, but at the china office, this lack of seriousness and competence.

For pilot very experienced, patient, requiring little => there are many changes to do on their planes

So from now.. and if FEJ doesn't change these issues , I don't buy their planes, whatever the price...

Regards,

Sébastien
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

BB

That's bad @$$....

Lets see it in the air now with a few swept high speed passes.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: JetflyerJ

BB

That's bad @$$....

Lets see it in the air now with a few swept high speed passes.

i'm still waiting to see proof that the F-14 can fly reasonably well.. The only vid i have seen of it, was less than awe-inspiring, unless you find awe-inspiring moments in the numerous times it seemed out of control...

I'm interested in picking up a tornado b/c of the swing wings and the fact it uses a single turbine.. BUT after looking at the internal structure of the F-14 and the low-quality and lack of material around the swing wing box, i honestly dont think the F-14 or tornado will last (assuming the tornado has a similar construction style around the wing box area). Not to mention, i now understand why I "thought" the wings on the F-14 has developed a "dihedral" when looking at the flight video... 99.99% possitive the lack of structure actually allowed the wings to flex the wing box to give the wings their dihedral.

and the F-14 has been "released" for what.. 2 months now? Has Anyone received it yet?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Liebetrau's F-14 is the only Tomcat worth looking at. Peter does his homework before he even tells anyone that he's thinking about releasing anything, "PLUS" he's a super guy to deal with.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
siclick33

I notice from the Flyeagle home page that they are offering a 'second chance' special offer price for the F14 and Tornado.

It also seems that the pricing scheme has changed and the swing wing system is now an option.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I notice from the Flyeagle home page that they are offering a 'second chance' special offer price for the F14 and Tornado.

It also seems that the pricing scheme has changed and the swing wing system is now an option.

yea i noticed that as well... i'm still highly un-impressed with the wing box structure in the fuselage of the F-14 and Tornado, i dont see how these 2 jets will be able to survive any length of time with out alot of modifications. And for the "normal" pricing, it'd be better off just waiting for feibao or Skymaster to release theirs, atleast then you know its had a decent amount of testing done, or atleast its coming from a company that isnt known for sending *insert favorite insult phrase here* stuff to ya that requires replacement when its brand new (according to other accounts of landing gear systems, door cylinders, etc not working)
Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
craigdyer

Hi All

Anyone know how they are getting around the C of G shift when you swing the wings?...I seem to recall a Tornado that had a lead weight on a screw jack arrangement that would move fore and aft as required when the wings were swung.

Regards, Craig Dyer

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 AM
rhallgarth

ORIGINAL: JetflyerJ

Liebetrau's F-14 is the only Tomcat worth looking at. Peter does his homework before he even tells anyone that he's thinking about releasing anything, "PLUS" he's a super guy to deal with.

Just my $0.02
I do not believe they make one any longer. I hope I am wrong.

Best F-14 was the Yellow F-14. It had to be built but that plane had air bags for the wing sweep, a strong wing mechanism and was scale not sort of, maybe, close , or whatever. The gear is a masterpiece. Machined aluminum spoilers. At 1/9 scale it is perfect for twin p-70s or other turbines of that ilk and they actually supplied a build manual along with an extensive set of photos like they do for F-18 twin. Unfortunately it is out of production which is very sad.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: craigdyer

Hi All

Anyone know how they are getting around the C of G shift when you swing the wings?...I seem to recall a Tornado that had a lead weight on a screw jack arrangement that would move fore and aft as required when the wings were swung.

Regards, Craig Dyer

Craig,

This has been discussed a few times on numerous other threads regarding the F-14 and shouldn't be any different on the Tornado, but someone will actually have to fly it before we know for sure.

Those of us that have flown the previously available F-14s have found that just a little up elevator trim with wings swept is all that is required to deal with the slight CG shift; no fancy counterweight systems are necessary.

R/
George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.