Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

L.A. Jets (50 more pics added)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

L.A. Jets (50 more pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:46 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L.A. Jets (50 more pics added)

Amidst this day long of activities, I managed to stop by and see what was up. Had my daughter take some pics, while I did the "net-work" thing.

Check out her work.... (she's 9, so be nice)

http://www.airrayinc.com/jets_i.htm

Ray
Old 03-23-2002, 11:28 PM
jcw111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray

Your Daughter did a fine job. Great pics. To bad Ewald can't fly his creation legally. Stupid AMA rules kill innovation such as this.

Jim Whitney
Old 03-24-2002, 04:27 AM
AirRayInc

Default LA Jets

Thanks Jim;

Wish I had brought more disc, she would have really gone to town.

I am totally into the little Hot Spec, gonna have to head to the desert with Ewald when he goes out again.

I will be out Sunday trying to sell a couple of jets, and taking more pics.

Ray
Old 03-24-2002, 04:44 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Default Pic's

Ray, You tell the little lady that she------SCORRRRDEEEEE.
They are great
Old 03-25-2002, 01:26 AM
AirRayInc

Default and more more more

head on back, and remember to refresh your cache, there are 50 new pics added, you guys can do the commentary, I took the pictures.

Ray
Old 03-25-2002, 01:55 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default F104

Ray,

Did you see the 104 fly?? It looks like a there is a turbo in there.

Vin...
Old 03-25-2002, 02:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive got to move down there!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2002, 02:21 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Vin,

Joe's F-104 was fantastic! I could not believe how well it flew, and how great it looked in the air. Looked like it was not that bad to land either. He won Best of Show and truly deserved it.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:28 AM
jacksonretlaw-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default L.A jet's

Really nice pic's.She did a wonderful job.I am on the east coast
so I don't get to see many jets fly.Do you have any information on
the F-22 Raptor you have pictured.I am looking for that plane.Is
it a George Miller kit.I know Christian Diffusion sells them.But I
do not want to wait 5 months for anything.If you can help me locate a kit,would be greatly appreciated.Thank you for your help
Old 03-25-2002, 02:54 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Default F-22

The F-22 does not look like a Christian Diffusion Kit, looks bigger and the Gear doors are different, its not a Craig Aviation F-22.

So its probably a George Miller kit although i have never seen one. As no one else makes a F-22.

And as for my Christian Diffusion F-22 only 4 months to go, Why suffer just order it, will be at your door step in no time.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:30 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default F-22

JACKSONRETLAW,

the F-22 is a miller kit, it belongs to DR. KEN LE from so. cal. , it has a P-120 in it and it goes like stink .

he had a spot of trouble on the landing and did some minor damage to the gear, but he repaires at worp speed so it should be about fixed by now.

mabee he will chime in here and tell you all more about it.

regards, scott
Old 03-25-2002, 05:39 AM
AirRayInc

Default Nice observations everyone...

A few of mine;

That Hot Spot I took the "spy-shot" of is the most exciting looking paint job I have ever seen. Add to that gear doors on the mains and nose, and a nicely detailed airbrake box, the heads are gonna turn and the mouths are gonna drool.

Joe's 104 was indeed very nice.

George and his Eagle gave me ear-ga-sms.

Tony F. was Tony F., as smooth as usual, perfect as always.

Jason is bummed caused his Bobcat wont inverted flat spin, and still took home two of the days awards. Nice mind set Jason.

Harley made a huge impression with my daughter, this is truly a gentlemans pilot. Pleased to finally put a face to the words my friend.

Tad's A-37 is gonna leave some huge wake turbulence at El Toro, (get a move on Tad and Henry)

Do I think there is enough Hot Spots and Bandits and Bobcats in the world?

Ewald is a geneous, I just loaded two videos of his Hot Spec in action, go check em out, and make sure you refresh your cache.

I am sick of spectating, once I aquire/reaquire my turbine, I plan to put alot of "heat" on you guys.. get it, Heat, turbines, heat, get it????

I kill me,

Ray
Old 03-25-2002, 05:54 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Kind Words

Ray,
Glad to have met you and your daughter.
She is a little doll..............and a good photographer.
Thanks for the kind words..
Your friend,
Harley
Old 03-25-2002, 06:51 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LA

Joe McBrides was the nicest F-104 I have ever seen in the air, all others I have seen seemed unstable in roll, his was very solid.

He had a P-120 it it it blasted off the ground
Old 03-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Vincent

Default F-104

Hi Tony,

The one-oh-four is one of my favs, I built two of the Avonds kits with jpx engines in them. They didn`t stick around long enough for me to get comfortable with them. Landings seemed to challenge me but they flew like on rails. If anyone knows how I can get in touch with Joe Mc bride I would like some details on his jet and flying.

Sorry I missed all of you but I "had" to do some turbine flying for the 1/8thAF fly in out here in Phoenix, my A-4 got three plaques so it was worth the effort, only jet there of course!!!

Vin...
Old 03-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

Default one o four-tunate!

Thanks guys for the support on the 104. I had a blast at the LA jet event and was really stoked and grateful to get the award.

Vin, hear are some details on the 104:

Aeroloft kit built stock except for stronger main wing spar. 8411 on everything, 950RX 2400Duralite.
I'm probably the most heavy handed painter out there...thats the only reason I can explain it turned out 21lbs dry.

It has 50 flights on it. First with a mercury but it was marginally powered, I then put a P120 in it and now it lives up to its nickname: the missle with the man in it! It really doesn't have a very high top speed (160-170mph) though because of the massive inlets and there drag but with the 120 the verticle performance is awesome! Havn't had a deadstick yet and not looking forward to one!

About half the flights were without the wingtip tanks and half with (I just put em back on before the event). It made absolutely no difference it flight except that the roll response is faster w/o the tanks (and they weigh 12 oz). I put them back on so I could see it better but I'm not sure if it helps. The plane flies great although it is sometimes difficult to maintain orientation on it.

The paint scheme started as the Scale Italian Ferrari scheme. As of Sept 11 I had gotten it in red baasecoat and was ready to put on the Insignia. Feeling patriotic at that point I ditched the Italian meatballs and put on the old stars and bars. The N number stands for Never Again 9/11!

BTW before the final paint was put on I was pushing the verticle envelope with the merc and she stalled and went into a flat spin. There was no pulling out...It was so high I had time to try everything Rudder, elevator, full throttle, idle...I even dropped the flaps but it was in a perfectly flat spin (fuse was parallel to the horizon). After about 14 turns ala Chuck Yeager I shut off the motor and it pancaked in the dirt. It was falling so slowly that it didn't total it! It pulverized all the fuse formers and there were cracks all over the fuse but it was repaired. I now live by Phillip Avonds advice: "Avoid low airspeed and high angles of attack!"
Old 03-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Vincent

Default Avonds 104

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the details. I was told Phil was making new molds and reducing the inlet size?? Not sure if he has done that yet. I never flew mine without the tanks but really wanted to. I always had trouble getting the proper aoa with the full flap setting, it needs lots of ele travel?? Did you use the Avonds turbine conversion kit??

If you have any digi pics to share send them to me if you can, I would love to see them.
[email protected]

Thanks, Vin...
Old 03-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

Default controls

I set up all the throws and cg according to the plans/instructions and it seems to be perfect. I'm using the bypass from Avonds and a pipe from Tamjets
Old 03-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Bob_Wilcox
My Feedback: (1)

I want to thank all of you that joined us at LA jets this year. It was a lot of fun and I hope to see you all next year.

Our club (Valley Flyers) president was at the event and was delighted how successful a jet event can be. The good PR from this event can only help the jet community.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:00 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AirRayInc, I wanted to see those MPGs of yours with the Hot Spec, but I could hear them only, no video. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:06 AM
F900

Default MPGs

MPGs worked fine for me sound and video
Old 03-26-2002, 02:17 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well tell me what it looks like then!!!
Old 03-26-2002, 04:13 AM
AirRayInc

Default Can anyone else view Ewalds movie?

I can see it on my set, but I am not literate to know why others of you cannot. My OS is Win98, I browse with MSIE, view with Win Media Player and can see it. Takes about a min. and a half to see it though.

If you can view it, chyme in.....if you are good at Front Page (dont flame it, its what I use)and or can tell me another way to post it, kewl, lay it on me.

The first is a take roll of the Spec, and the second is a fly-by of the same.

Ray

oh and thanks a bazillion
Old 03-26-2002, 04:30 AM
F900

Default Videos

There only about 10secs long each, first one shows a very small hot spot rolling very fast down the with a nice gradual Takeoff

2nd clip shows a overhead hotspot turning left for the upwind turn goes out of view becuase of the sun, and thats it .
Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 AM
F900

Default videos

If you can't see it do this, it worked for me. RENAME your xxxx.MPG file to xxxx.AVI try that and see if it works. and just use windows media player.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.