Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mississippi Afterburner

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mississippi Afterburner

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
vernonms

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Mississippi Afterburner

I also want to say thanks to others. I can't remember everyone and everything so hang with me. I had many of you volunteer and do every time. Thanks to Bob-O Covish for manning the cart transporting your planes to and from the hanger everyday. That means he is out earlier and later than everyone else. Thanks to Bob-O, Dawn, Bob Price and others with the breakfast. That's a lot of work every morning but that's them. They enjoy helping. I would hate to guess how many people ask Price "Have you got...?" He alway seems to have it. Thanks to Sam Slough for the concessions. He does it because he wants to help. Thanks to Rick "Tracer" Schafer for the T-38 fly-by...too cool. Thanks Buck for getting the*******done. And THANKS to the Cajun Queen Michelle, airport manager. The college thinks the airport belongs to them. Wrong! It's Michelle's airport! Her and her gang made things even better this year. The flight line/pit area can't be improved upon. It was the best. With all the people above and more I have missed, it made it where I didn't have to do much and of course I took all the credit. Many thanks to all who graciously helped and always do without me asking and never complaining(well, not much)!

Vernon
Old 05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Jetjock51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 18th MAB was a fantastic weekend! Everything it takes to have a successful jet event came together last weekend to produce one of the best Mississippi Afterburners we ever had. The only one that may have topped this one is the the one 10 - 12 years ago (not sure, the memory fades) at Winona when we had Dangerous Doug, Dynamic Dan and 30 of the Texas gang, AND the CANNON in attendance. That was a fantastic redneck weekend in the country. We are now city-fied and civilized, mature jetjocks, but we still have a blast, no pun intended. This MAB was no exception. We had a great time with you guys. It is like homecoming for us with many of you who have never missed the event for 18 years. Some first timers, like Barry Mattingly, came all the way from California. Thanks Buck for beating on him for so long. I guess Barry finally figured out the only way to ease the pain was to make the trip. Thanks Barry for coming to Mississippi. Electric Bob (Bob Belloumini) and buddy Joe Dirr came from the Cincinnati area, which is still a pretty good trip. Alaska Bob takes the trophy for longest distance traveled, coming all the way from Alaska, obviously. It was great to see the Georgia Gang back again. Gordon Dickens and Craig Gottschang are two of the attendees from the good old days at Winona. Thanks to all you Georgia jet jocks (6-8 of you) for coming. Guys, you will see the Mississippi Gang at your event in September. If we didn't have all our many Texas jet friends, we might have to shut the event down. It just wouldn't be the same without them. Many of them have never missed the MAB in 18 years.

We had 75 of you attend this year. Sorry for not recognizing all of you, but too many to list here. You know who you are, and Vernon, David and I thank you for coming to the MAB. It is nice to have so many friends.

I want to thank Patricia Cardash and her brother Alan Cardash of Boomerang Jets for donating the Sprint for the raffle. You have made a difference in several young lives with your generosity. The raffle of this kit brought in $1800 to the scholarship fund. This is a first kit donation we ever had. Vernon and I, both being in business and doing business with the public for so long get bombarded with requests for free donations everyday. You simply can't give to every good cause that comes along, even though you would like to. For this reason, we never ask for donations. Boomerang Jets (Alan and Patricia) did this out of the goodness of their hearts. They wanted to help the kids. Thank you Alan and Patricia.

I also want to give special recognition to Eric Clapp and Jet Central for the unbelievable donation of a Jet Central turbine to the Hinds Community College School of Aviation Technology. Eric GAVE the school an operational turbine, along with support, for a teaching tool. It is not to be flown and is for demonstration purposes only. This is AWESOME, INCREDIBLE, SPECTACULAR, PHENOMENAL, ETC, ETC, and all the superlatives I can come up with. This is stepping up to the plate and helping the kids in the Aviation School in a big way. Talk about giving back to the community, this is it! Thank you Eric and Jet Central. You and your company are AWESOME. I just had to say awesome again. Anyone looking for a new turbine needs to take a long and hard look at Jet Central. They have one of the best turbines on the market, bar none. Couple that with a lifetime warranty, and you have an unbeatable combination.

Eric, thank you, thank you , thank you.

Thanks again to all who attended. You guys are pros. You made our job of running the event a piece of cake, a no brainer. Thanks for a great weekend.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
gushudson

Vernon, Dennis and David,

What a wonderful event you all put on. You should not be surprised that it went so well. You three are great individuals who give so much to the jet community. I remember back in the 80's (not sure what year) when Mt. Pleasant had its first jet event. Vernon and Dennis showed up. I had broken something on my jet and I was down for the weekend. Vernon gave me the part that I needed and I had never met him before. I have never forgotten that. I'm not able to fly as much as I use to but I would never miss your event. Thanks to everyone who made this event possible. It was the best.

Gus
Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
TXJETS
My Feedback: (3)

Vernon, David and Dennis

Thanks for a great time. You guys got it right, I can't wait till next year. See you at Mt. Pleasent

Randy
Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Jetjock51

ORIGINAL: gushudson

Vernon, Dennis and David,

What a wonderful event you all put on. You should not be surprised that it went so well. You three are great individuals who give so much to the jet community. I remember back in the 80's (not sure what year) when Mt. Pleasant had its first jet event. Vernon and Dennis showed up. I had broken something on my jet and I was down for the weekend. Vernon gave me the part that I needed and I had never met him before. I have never forgotten that. I'm not able to fly as much as I use to but I would never miss your event. Thanks to everyone who made this event possible. It was the best.

Gus
Gus, you and all our Texas jet friends are the reason there is a Mississippi jet gang. You all are the ones that got Vernon and I hooked on jets. It has been a blast (no pun intended) flying with you guys for twenty something years through the early days of real d/f flight to the present. We early birds are getting some miles on us now, but it sure is good to get to see you all again. It is like homecoming.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great time as usual. Thanks to Eric for all the time he spent with me on my turbine. Thanks to all the guys that I asked for stuff. If you didnt know any better you would of thought this was my first show with all the stuff I forgot at home. Also a special thanks to Buck, he gave me pointers on flying the super hornet but the most valueable thing he tought me was how to remove ticks, after I was sitting in the grass for about 20 mins talking to him, he told me after the 20 mins, oh yea you might want to check for ticks there was one on my shoe earlyer.. Great times

David
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 PM
rjpmodel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Vernon, Dennis, and David you have done it again. I had a fantastic time as usual. I have not missed one of your events since I have been flying jets which I believe is at least 12 years.
I also remember Dan, Doug and the large Austin attendance in Winona with the cannon. Dan and doug were filling beer cans with gasoline and loading them into the cannon. Also thanks to Michelle and the whole crew at the airport. I am including a picture of the list of sponcers that Vernon asked me to display. Sorry for the delay Vernon. I am looking foreward to seeing you guys here at the Austin jet meet the week after next. Don,t forget to come early for the pig hunt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75159.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1194778  
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I win the procrastination prize?

Eric Clapp and a good looking ride!

Name:	Kh17743.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1228898  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM
rjbob

Andy Andrews looking for jets to shoot.

Sam Snyder with one of the big jets he brought...this one a gorgeous Vulcan.

Name:	Xv63876.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1228911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78378.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1228912  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
rjbob

The airport manager, Michelle...she made everything easier.

Vernon Montgomery..."Fly to eat; eat to fly.

The food at this event almost (oink) upstaged the jets...almost.

What DID upstage the jets was the "suthun hosptallitee".

Name:	Jg14002.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1228915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69430.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1228916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17605.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1228917  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: rjbob
.''Fly to eat; eat to fly.

The food at this event almost (oink) upstaged the jets...almost.

What DID upstage the jets was the ''suthun hosptallitee''.
Hey, I resemble that comment.... THE best reason to come to MAB next year! (as if there needed to be just one).

Barry
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
rjbob

Near as I can tell, Buck is in there hiding from his Commanding Officer and Barry's just looking for a place to sleep for free.

Name:	Pn35225.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1228920  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

just a couple more days Alaska Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

just a couple more days Alaska Bob
wow can anyone say... delayed response? lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

no doubt amigo but there is a message in there somewhere........

look up here looooook up here lllooooook up heeeeeeeerreeeeee heyyyy yoooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu loooook up here loooook up here