Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I will never use Lipoly batteries again

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I will never use Lipoly batteries again

Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I will never use Lipoly batteries again

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

I assume there was no fuel in the plane. Now that would have been nasty...

from the pics i figuered it was full, not much else in there to cause enough burn duration for that much damage.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
SimjetAU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was no fuel in the plane at all just about 20 litres 1 mtr from it and a further 150 litres just behind the 20 litres.... The pack must have been a 2000 deg 4 second flame thrower as was said before

Mark
Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, one tip for that might be helpful.

I have a Lipo battery that is difficult to reach in my F-84G.

I use the latest Graupner Lipo charger that have a temperature sensor built in like many recent chargers.
I have permanently taped a temperature sensor on the remote battery and have made a charge terminal available from the outside which includes:

The balance plug ( extended )
The temperature sensor plug ( regular servo plug )
The charge line

When I want to charge this battery, I just plug everything and go for a balanced charge with thermal protection.
The safety temperature is set at 40°c.
The battery is packed in a ceramic blanket pocket sealed with aluminium tape.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 AM
B777

I always keep the Lipos out of models and have them stored in steel containers. It would also be ideal if you can charge them in open space or contained in steel container if charging at home. I also keep these steel containers out of my house.

Really sorry for the loss [&o]
Kraivuth S.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:20 AM
josecilurzo

Hi we lose a BARF with A123, in our JETS we only use NICAD and NIMH (for the time being), in the future we change to others, but, until it to arrive we go in the certainty!

sorry man, I know what you fell!!!!! [sm=disappointed.gif]

jose
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mark,

I agree fully with you comment concerning use of a BALANCING type charger with LiPo's.

This event is an eye opening experiance and a heck of a reminder !

Truely sorry to see this type of loss. I'm gald that the building and the other contents are still in tack.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
mikehannah

Hi
I use LiPo alot and they need to be treated with alot of respect and not get lulled into a false sense of security. A liPo should always be charged out of the airframe. If that isnt possible then use a different type of battery.
All my LiPos are charged in the Graupner fireproof box. Expensive but for peace of mind it is cheap at twice the price.

M
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

For anyone having any difficulty finding a suitable steel / ceramic container that you can store & charge your batteries in, you may want to look at this product http://www.liposack.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: josecilurzo

Hi we lose a BARF with A123, in our JETS we only use NICAD and NIMH (for the time being), in the future we change to others, but, until it to arrive we go in the certainty!

sorry man, I know what you fell!!!!! [sm=disappointed.gif]

jose
Jose,

You should probably clarify. You did not lose a BARF ro an A123 fire, right? I think you had said before you did not charge them??
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I finally was able to find the 14Mz in the pics - wow... [:@] Sorry for the loss. I wasn't even aware you could charge LiPos without the balance leads connected. I've never tried it without, but this is reason enough to never try).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72444.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1161117  
Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

[size=3]I believe the overridding question is; Should anyone who charges LiPo's in an airplane even be involved with R/C Jets?!?!?! Very poor judgement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron S

I finally was able to find the 14Mz in the pics - wow... [:@] Sorry for the loss. I wasn't even aware you could charge LiPos without the balance leads connected. I've never tried it without, but this is reason enough to never try).
Oh, sure you can. In fact, I have many hundreds of cycles on quite a slew of Thunder Power packs and I never use a balance charger - just a simple Triton 2 or Astro Flight LiPo charger with a single input to the discharge lead. I have the Thunder Power balancer, which is a passive device (i.e., you plug it into the pack and it uses the higher cells to charge up the lower ones) and I've never had a pack that was more than a few tenths of a volt out of balance - which the TP balancer takes care of in about 5 minutes or less.

The only fires I've had were with packs that were obviously over discharged, or over charged. That being said, LiPo fires are so stupendous (as evidence posted in this thread suggests) that I always treat them if they are about to explode at any minute - especially when being charged or after discharge until they have reached the point of room temperature... I have a scorched benchtop in my lab that is proof enough for me (a student who was not LiPo savvy charged a 1320 MAh pack at 5 amps on the Astro Flight charger - poof!).

Bob
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I've been flying hi-powered edfs for about 5 years. I have always used LiPo batteries since way back when they first hit the market. One thing we have learned is to never charge LiPos without using an active balancer and never charge LiPos with a charger that does not communicate with the balancer. If one of the cells is out of balance with the others in the pack, an active balancer will shut the charger down if that cell becomes over charged. With a passive balancer or no balancer if one of the cells becomes over charged, you most likely will get the results shown at the beginning of this thread.

There are only a hand full of LiPo cell manufactures. Companies like Thunder Power and Flight Power purchase there cells from these manufactures and only purchase cells that are matched in resistance. The other companies buy the left over, rejected cells and that is why batteries from those companies don't last or hold up. Those cells get out of balance under load and become easily puffed, overheated, or outright dangerous. With LiPo batteries, you do get what you pay for.

Kirk
Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 AM
bukeym

I have years of experience with Lipos LiFe's (A123).. I would say the only possibility to explode Lipos is if you deliberately charge these batteries with a wrong program such as a NiCD and/or NiMh since these programs do not limit voltage. Without thi limitation when the battery reaches 4,2 V/cell it continues to demand higher voltages and finally explodes...

Murat Bukey
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I am a newbie with LiPos - I have about 5 packs now. I prefer to have the people that absolutely have-to-have the latest stuff thoroughly try all the dumb stuff and post it on RCU, so I can learn from their mistakes.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been using Lipos for ECU's since began flying turbines about 4 years ago. I think the secret to my success have been that I am scared about using Li-pos, period. I therfore have a lot of respect for them. I remove them from my airframe every single time, and use a Ceramic container like it was suggested. Also, if I go to sleep I make sure I go downstairs and unplug everything!

I also remove the Li-Pos from my airframe prior to storage. Yes I'm anal regarding that but I just dont trust those batteries.

Really man, sucks what happened to you, but there is a way around it. Sorry for your loss.

David
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
rhklenke

I think what Kirk said about the quality of the batteries is key too. As I mentioned, I have yet to see a pack become un-balanced, but to this point, I have only flown TP or Evo batteries and I think they are very well matched. I have some new packs that are cheaper Chinese off-brand and those I will watch much more closely...

I also agree with David - I don't store my LiPos in the aircraft either - I keep them all in metal amo boxes...

Bob
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to see this happen. Sorry for your loss

I'm a big user of Lipos. I highly recommend Dedicated LIPO ONLY Chargers with a built in balancer that can terminate the charge in case of a runaway situation such as this.

I have been using the FMA Cellpro 10S and the Balance pro and I highly recommend these chargers.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is my Walmart solution for battery storage

SentrySafe Fire-Safe Waterproof Chest, Model HD2100 $43.97

for a large box use SentrySafe Fire-Safe Waterproof File, Model HD4100 $48.84

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75317.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1161271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57052.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1161272  
Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
rhklenke

Thanks Rich, I'll have to check those out...

Bob
Old 03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Me too, I use li-manganese without problems.

Hector
Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

I currently have 4 3-cell 2100 mah packs from Electrifly. I use the Great Planes PolyCharge 4 with the Equinox Balancer. I am very new to Lipos but this set-up seems to work very well.

SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAU0&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGS7&P=M
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
rolsen12

Never Never charge Li-POs in the aircraft NEVER.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Never charge with lipoly batteries in the jet??????????
although the results that started this thread are enough reason to make that statement, that's as realistic as saying only fill your fuel tanks with the fuel cells out of the model???
I think I will just stay with nicads, only had one problem in 22 years.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Duncan

ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

Never charge with lipoly batteries in the jet??????????
although the results that started this thread are enough reason to make that statement, that's as realistic as saying only fill your fuel tanks with the fuel cells out of the model???
I think I will just stay with nicads, only had one problem in 22 years.

It's hardly the same really is it !!

I never charge my lipos in the model, when i bought my bobcat i moved things around so i could take them out easily.

I have never had one blow while charging, but the other week i was working on my bandit and heard a woooosh, looked around to see smoke pouring out of my ammo box (which is what i store my lipos in) It was a 2s shockie lipo that hadn't been charged for a month. luckily because it was on the charging shelf in the box and not with the other lipos, it didn't damage anything.

Duncan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.