Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F15 Tam Brakes & wheels on Yellow Retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F15 Tam Brakes & wheels on Yellow Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F15 Tam Brakes & wheels on Yellow Retracts?

Has anybody tried fitting Tam Wheels and Brakes on Yellow Aircraft Landing Gear for the F15?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F15 Tam Brakes & wheels on Yellow Retracts?

I haven't tried that but if you were looking for a replacement tire I know peole have had good success putting Sullivan Skylite tires on the original yellow wheels. These hold up very well over the spongy yellow ones. They can be found in most local hobby shops. Sorry I don't recall the size but it wasn't anything special. Three inch possibly.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

No, he's got the Tam wheels (and tires) and brakes and he wants to fit them onto the Yellow landing gear...

Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Not sure if Tam's wheels and brakes will fit, but Glennis makes wheels and brakes that will fit.

Jim
Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
sskianpour

Well, my plan is to get the Yellow Gear (they arrive this thursday per UPS), drop them in the FEJ F15, slap the Tam wheels/brakes on them, and pray it all fits.

If the footprint of the Yellow doesnt fit then I will do what Bob is doing which is pony up & buy a pair of Robarts 635's and then pay CLOSE attention to Bob's retract installation instructions (Bob...this is where you come in )

If the Footprint of the yellow DOES fit but the Tam Wheels and brakes dont, then I have 2 options:
1. call up TAM and see how much he would charge for just the Mains, no nose gear, no wheel,s, no brakes, since his Gear is supposed to fit in the yellow, then it would also fit in the FEJ

2. Order Glennis Wheels and brakes as Jim suggests above and try to sell the Tam Wheels/brakes on RCU...

Jeeez, starting to wonder if I would have been better off paying the extra $1000 and just buying a JetLegend F15 right from the get-go...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You got me confused, what exactly won`t fit ?? What does Tams wheels and brakes have to do with buying Robart 635`s?? I would guess you would be concerned what size the Yellow strut axle is and how the brake drum mounts to it??

V..
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
ianober

Your best solution would be to get the 635's and use Airpower's struts wheels and brakes. I am running that system in my F-15 and trust me, I have gone through a lot of different landing gear configurations and this one is by far the BEST! Airpower's struts are excellent and when I ordered direct form them it took less than a week to get them to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
rosek007

With a little work they will fit and work fine...I have had tams wheels and brakes on the yellow f15 strut now for almost 2 yrs flying off grass .
Kevin
Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ian,
Are you using the inflatable type tires with the 6mm axle??
V..
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
sskianpour

Rosek007,
when you say "with a little work" they fit fine, what do you mean? What type of work was necessary? Did you have to grind down parts using a dremel? Do extra drilling? etc..
Would you be able to post a picture of the work you did or maybe explain in detail please. Thanks!

Ian,
If the footprint of the Yellow doesn't for the Fly Eagle F15 perfectly like I am hoping (and like Shaun @ Yellow believes that it does), then he has agreed to refund me and I send the retracts back. In that case I will be calling on you to get the exact configuration you used with the Robart 635s. Bob is dropping a pair of 635's into his FEJ (GFly Eagle JEt) F15 soon as well so I will be eager to see what he posts when he does that...

Thanks for all the feedback guys,
Shaz
Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
sskianpour

Vincent,
sorry for the confusion, but your last line posted outlines my issue well. I am concerned as to what size Yellow Strut Axle is and how the Brake drum from the Tam Wheels/Brakes mounts to it, but according to Rosek007 it seems I should be okay in that area with a little work. I am still waiting for him to post what kind of work fitting the Tam Wheels/brakes to the Yellow Strut entailed.

My only real issue now would be whether the Yellow Retracts' spacing between the bolts is identical to the spacing that the FEJ has and whether I can just drop the retract in and bolt it down, or am I going to need to send the Yellow retracts back....(I don't want to screw around trying to build a new mounting block since space is limited).

Here's the photo I sent to Shaun that made him believe the Yellow & FEJ retracts have "identical footprints". Note how the Cylinder sits aft of the retract.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
sskianpour

Photo:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tw68588.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1169905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14260.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1169906  
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
rosek007

The yellow axle would not fit the Tam wheels and brakes and i read somewhere the other stuff is a headache so i got the tam wheels and brakes, when they got here i realised they wouldn't work so being hardheaded and detirmined i went to ace hardware got some bolts that would screw right in the yellow strut and locktite it in and cut the other end off...flying off grass and pretty much 2 years later, it hasn't budge...crappy pics below.
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46839.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1169958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76134.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1169959  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
ianober

Vin, I am not using the inflatable ones (I dont think, have not seen the inflation valve, but I could just be blind), if they are the inflatable they have been excellent so far!!! I am using Airpowers setup which has a staggered bearing type of setup (one smaller than the other). Below is a link to the struts, wheels and brakes I am using and they are far superior to anything I have tried so far.

[link=http://www.airpowernet.com/twe3/product_info.php?products_id=181]Main Struts[/link]

[link=http://www.airpowernet.com/twe3/product_info.php?products_id=39]Nose Strut[/link]