Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can I JUST use a manual fuel shut off valve?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can I JUST use a manual fuel shut off valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
NightFlyer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I JUST use a manual fuel shut off valve?

I have a jetcat P80 with a 5.0 version ECU. I think my fuel solinoid valve (spelling) is bad. It just keeps clicking and will NOT open I think. I have a manual fuel shut off valve after the pump also. Can I just disconnect the fuel vale soliniod and JUST use the manual one? I had a PST J600R before and it just use a manual fuel shut off valve....
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Can I JUST use a manual fuel shut off valve?

Is the P80 a gas start? if so check your wiring, the valve that should be clicking is the gas valve... could be connected on the wrong terminal on the ECU, solenoid valves are no mechanically capable of doing this clicking by themeselves
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM
SinCityJets

Yes you can. The fuel valve simply open when it's ok for fuel to flow, and closes when it's not. Just make sure you turn it off between flight or the fuel could siphon. Also, when you pich the model up, it will allow fuel to drain out the turbine if it is not shut off......oh, and when fueling it too.

Bottom line, get the valve fixed. A manual valve (only) is a pain in the rear.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Ruizmilton. If you mean your fuel solenoid and not gas, you need to check your connections at the ECU. Sounds like you may have the fuel & gas/propane solenoids hooked up backwards. The gas/propane solenoid is supposed to click on/off and you can check this in the test function menu of the data terminal.

Word of caution, just because you can here it clicking does not mean it is functioning correctly. It can be clicking away and be in a stuck open position. If you are using an onboard gas /propane tank with a full gas/propane charge and the solenoid is stuck open...guess what is going to happen if you open the manual shutoff valve expecting the solenoid to be working correctly and you initiate a start.

I have a gas/propane solenoid in my Elan with a P-120 that periodically malfunctions just as I stated above. The valve clicks, but it is a faint sounding click. When it does that, the valve is stuck open allowing all the gas to dump straight into the turbine if the manual valve is open. When the solenoid is working properly, the click is very audible...hard clicking sound.

I have confirmed this by disconnecting the gas/propane line at the turbine and charging the onboard tank with the manual valve left open.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Short answer: YES.

Long answer - i agree with everything else that has been written above.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Just a note,
AMA requires two shut offs. One manual, one remote (ecu operated remote OK). As per AMA doc #510A, item 8.

Doug