Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Expired Hysol:

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Expired Hysol:

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Expired Hysol:

Hi just got a new project sitting on the table. The owner called me to tell me that he found 4 cartriges of hysol but the expiration date is 2007. It's safe to use them or better get a new batch? I try the search option with no great results about expiration dates. Thanks

Alex
Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Expired Hysol:

Alex, some epoxy's can go beyond the expired life, but that depends on the conditions how it was stored. Your best bet would to test before use...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

Alex go to the source: information on the product shelf life, call Henkel customer service at 800-243-4874.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
avicom

Thanks jayman, you just remind me that Henkel got an office in the Island. I will call tomorrow.

Alex
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what Hysol is going to say...They cannot guarantee the quality of the adhesive past the expiration date...Buy some more from us today...Blah blah blah.....

I would do like BirdofpreY suggests...Try it and see if it cures OK...For me, mixing by hand works best....Less waste and this ensures a complete cure....I hardly never use the nozzles except where I have a tight place to get to...

FWIW, Hysol doesn't recommend using the short nozzles due to the possibility of an incomplete cure.....

Kevin
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Mix a batch and see how hard it gets, May be excellent for R/C, but not approved for NACA.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

You know what Hysol is going to say...They cannot guarantee the quality of the adhesive past the expiration date...Buy some more from us today...Blah blah blah.....

I would do like BirdofpreY suggests...Try it and see if it cures OK...For me, mixing by hand works best....Less waste and this ensures a complete cure....I hardly never use the nozzles except where I have a tight place to get to...

FWIW, Hysol doesn't recommend using the short nozzles due to the possibility of an incomplete cure.....

Kevin
Entirely not true! Loctite does not suggest the 3" swirl tips, the 3" ladder tips we offer are the tips recommended by Loctite
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

Kevin
Entirely not true! Loctite does not suggest the 3" swirl tips, the 3" ladder tips we offer are the tips recommended by Loctite
Todd...I called Hysol and was told by one of their techs to absolutely not to use the short nozzles....True, LocTite does sell the tips and I was told that they don't recommend their use with 9462....Oh well...Call on different days and get different answers....

I'm not the only one that has noticed incomplete/slower curing using the short nozzles...I've discussed this with several other modelers, including professional builders such as Tom Robertson...And, I've done my own tests and have noticed that it takes noticeably longer for 9462 to cure when squirted through the short nozzles vs the longer ones...Just my experiences...Your mileage may vary.....

Kevin
Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
avicom

Ok guys just off the phone with Henkel CS. Guess what? You won Kevin! No matter is you mix it and test it, we can not guarantee the quality life of the product. Blah,blah....

I know the owner of the plane I laid on the work table is following this thread. Now you know what you have to do. ORDER THE DARN HYSOL!!!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I only got half tube left hide somewhere.

Alex
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Store your Hysol in the refrigerator and it will practically last forever. I'm using some now from 2007 that I kept refrigerated and it works fine. Still agree with the suggestion to try a sample before using in a critical location.

Craig
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
avicom

Thanks Graig for your comments on your 2007 batch. I agree and will test it before throw them away. Why I didn't think of that for storage the hysol when I'm used to store my CA in the refrigerator. My newest batch will go that way also.

Jose you still have a change to save yours. But order a few tubes just in case. I will start using mine in your project to speed up a bit. And I will need more for the big one which is next.

Alex
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I have recently used my last tube that I bought back in 2006, out of 2 cases of 10 I ordered and stored in the refrigerator at about 38 F.

I often notice that when I take a chilled tube out, the white resin, not the hardener, has clumps in it. I found that if I heat a pan of water to about 130 F and drop it in for about 15 minutes all the clumps disappear and it is good to go.

I also get impatient waiting for it to set, so I warm mine up to faucet hot water temp, about 120 F before use. It does run a little bit more at that temp, but not much.
After I get the parts stabilized with wood blocks and tape, I aim a simple 60 watt flood lamp on my shop gooseneck. That way initial setup can be accelerated to about 6 hours rather than 18-24 hrs. It does not get brittle as long as you keep the temp below 140 F according to Loctite literature. I check my temps with my IR temp gun.

I have found no problems with setup using the short ladder type nozzles. My buddy buys them bulk.....3M EPX Applicator Mixing Nozzle #9171....they have a gold color ladder rather than the green ones BVM sells.

Tom
Old 04-04-2009, 04:58 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

I have been told that you can "relife" Hysol by soaking the tube in 40 deg C water until it cools.

Jason