Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How was the Toledo this year?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How was the Toledo this year?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How was the Toledo this year?

I like to take this opportunity to ask the guys who went to Toledo this year, i know it's bit early to ask but pictures have started to show on RCSB so why not here for all of us to see who couldn't be there this year. I was going to go but on the last moment my father's health deteriorated and i couldn't go just to be with him. Please post your pictures and like every year stories on here for us to see what we missed. I do plan to be there next year (2010) for sure with two of my creations!.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How was the Toledo this year?

I returned home this morning from the show. In 33 years of attending the show I have never been disapointed. For us jet guys there was not much new stuff other than 90mm / 70 mm EDF units from Shulman Avaition, Hoffman Magnetics, and a conversion of the JMP Dynamax from XPS. Fred Baldwin/Dyn-e Max another JPM conversion did not come even though they are listed as a vendor on the program and website. Jet Central was there with a nice display of their engines. JHH was there with the new EDF conversion of the Cougar and his usual other nice kits. Zirioli's E-Turbinator is going to be out soon as an ARF from Shulman Aviation. Century jets were there as well but nothing new from them. While there were lots of things on display there were only two jets in the static display which was odd, given they handed out cash prizes this year for the first time. The Michigan jet guys were there with a booth as well. The biggest attraction was the 1/10 scale Saturn 5 rocket that was over 25 feet long. Lots of vintage models from the 60's and 70's covered in silk and dope really nice work.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not much jet stuff but here is an overview

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8646363/tm.htm
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

It was AOK for me! This year I wasn't in Japan at the time! It was GREAT to see many jet guys and the many old friends I've met during 40 years of R/C.
Not as crowded on Friday as in years past.

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, I went to Toledo and thought it was great, meet all my friends after a long winter, so i got to catch up on whats new.
Also with a little less crowd, I found , that the vendors had more time to explain their products.
Also got to stock up on batteries and other nic nacs.
Rcpete
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
causeitflies

The turn out Friday was lower than most years but still a nice crowd, not elbow to elbow.
I heard that Saturday was packed as a lot more people didn't take Friday off from work and waited 'til Saturday.

I didn't see any must haves for me but there is always stuff that I would love to have. I spent $5 on two magazines and that was it.

I saw more guys I know than most years, guys from all the jet rallies and such.

I did get side tracked a bit when I went to visit the Mud Hens Stadium next door.
A few days ago the team historian contacted me about a tribute the Mud Hens organization was doing in May for the 125th anniversary of the entry of Moses "Fleetwood" Walker into professional baseball. In 1884 Fleetwood was the first black man to play professional baseball in the U.S. Fleetwood Walker is my great great uncle.

Now if you don't know, Mud Hens Minor League baseball in Toledo is as big as Steeler football is in Pittsburgh! Their games regularly sell out and they have a beautiful stadium behind the Seagate Center, one of the finest in minor league. The main entrance to the stadium is called Fleetwood Walker Square. There are plaques and pictures of him for blocks around the stadium. He's an icon in Toledo.

When I told the team historian I would be in Toledo Friday, he offered to take me to lunch which turned out to be a neat tour of the stadium and introduced me to everyone like I was a major, make that minor celebrity [8D]

On may 14th I'll be going back for the celebration and probably throw out the first ball or something , have some dinner in the VIP booth, probably sign some autographs HA! So all in all it was a pretty neat trip for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Ghost" was there on Friday. AFAIC, Toledo this year was nothing to write home about if you are into Jets.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Props4ever

Guys let see some pictures also, we understand not many jets were there this year but let see whatever jets were there...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

Mud Hens Minor League baseball in Toledo is as big as Steeler football is in Pittsburgh!
WHAT?!

Glad you had a great time mano.....
Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 AM
causeitflies

ORIGINAL: sideshow

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

Mud Hens Minor League baseball in Toledo is as big as Steeler football is in Pittsburgh!
WHAT?!

Glad you had a great time mano.....
I would have rather been in CA with you guys[8D]
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Actually the gate showed Friday was bigger than last year. Saturday was about the same, Sunday dead as always. Ron covered the entire jet line up for the show. Good overall and some nice models on display as always.

The auction was good on Saturday as well. Another one in the history books. Now on to the flying season.