Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Starting Wand Mod for Duct. Fan.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Starting Wand Mod for Duct. Fan.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:34 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Wand Mod for Duct. Fan.

O.K. I can't be the first to do this, but I thought I'd actually start a ducted fan with it before I posted the pictures here. I never heard of it, so maybe another newcomer could benefit also. If there's some unseen problem with it, please let me know, but it work like a charm so far today.

I bought a Century (or Miniature Airccraft-I can't remember) helicaopter one-way starting probe and drilled it out slightly to fit a BVM starter wand. I drilled the one-way adapter out to .280" so that I could tap in a section of the brass tube from the BVM wand. The brass tube had a little window cut out to allow the setscrew from the one-way to set on the BVM wand. Also had to nip off about 1/4" of the BVM wand off so that it would bottom out in the one-way adapter. Tap in the brass first (carefully) and the BVM probe slides in snug and true. Tried it out and it worked great-first time, started the ducted fan by myself. It was actually easier than with two people and trying to keep things in line while pushing... The shaft on the bottom is the helicopter part I removed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86809_2034.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	50640  
Old 06-16-2003, 12:37 AM
ChuckC

Default Another pic in the starter

You insert the adapter in the cone, then both in the starter. When you use it, the one-way bearing allows the engine to run and the electric starter to stop; sure is easier on the engine and fan, etc.

Name:	86810_2034.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	50641  
Old 06-16-2003, 12:40 AM
ChuckC

Default Last pic of the one-way

This is a close up of the the .280 drilled out adapter with the original brass tapped down into then the BVM probe set in place and set screwed down.

Name:	86812_2034.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	50642  
Old 06-16-2003, 01:31 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Nice! If you remember where you got the helicopter part I would love to see the URL.

Don
Old 06-16-2003, 01:56 AM
ChuckC

Default This is it

This is the product, but I bought it from a LHS, actually for less (Absolute Helis in Houston). Looks like the fixed type on the web page does not include the one-way bearing-I guess the one-way for that application is in the helicopter??? All I know is that I could easily start my jet by myself now...no more cramming the starter on that probe while someone else tries to hold it!

www.centuryheli.com/products/flyfield/index.html
Old 06-16-2003, 02:05 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:12 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old byron starting wand had kinda the same setup with the one way bearing. Very cool how you adapted that to your starter probe I bet you will save some of wear on the spinner bolt!

BRG
Joey