Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

ORIGINAL: resjets

The Flame Out unit is designed to trigger from the transmitter, but it could activate automatically from a sever impact of the aircraft. Because there is no catch mechanism on the hammer that hits the firing pin

So is this system being marketed as a "triggered" device (from the TX, either under manual or fail safe control ) or an "impact" triggered device?

Notice I am NOT asking about the underlying technology, rather I am asking how you intend on marketing the system.....trigger, impact or both?

Thanks,

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
resjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The system is being marketed as a "triggered" device from the RX
Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
morro

The idea of an onboard extingusher system is a great idea maybe you could incorporate two extra units one for each tank install and then if a crash does occur then all the units would activate at once thus eliminating a potential fire, of course you would have the method for a normal startup.
I am currently designing a loom setup for around the engine bay and fuel tank area where the loom has nozzles attached at strategic points and connected to a co2 setup, the weight would be minimal not enough to worry the average jet flyer, the design is basically setup to be set off remote from your radio or manual. There is alot more work to be done and of course it can be secured to the inside of the airframe.

I think if your model is hurtling towards the ground the chances of saving the turbine are nil but saving the r/c gear could be possible and having a setup like mine may help.

regards
Todd
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
k12rc

robin is a friend of mine I have had a ext in my jet for over a year .I had thee planes burn tail off before I instaled the ext for me it has been well worth it if it saves one plane youve got your money back
Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 AM
cavandish

Having recently put my Boomerang into the dirt (no fire) I am very keen to have fire protection in my new jet.
I love the idea of both systems mentioned here, but sadley for me, they both have their downfalls?
The simplicity of the fire eater really appeals to me, but what use would inert gas be, with the fuse broken open after a crash ?lets be honest, you would not have leaking fuel entering the turbine until after the fuse had been demolished, would you ? also this system would not be much chop until (in a wet start situation) well after your tail plane (on a boom type jet) fried.

The "flame out" is also great, but requires a command from the TX, not much use if your crash is due to radio failure ? or, if you were fighting to keep your plane in the air,with the pressure on, would you always remember to hit the button on your tx before impact, I very much doubt it ?
Ok, the Flame out is New, so probably not tested in a 'real' situation, but has anyone seen the 'fire eater' in action yet ? maybe it would snuff out a fire in the event of a 'open' fuse ? I would love to Know-maybe one of each, is the way to go !
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cavandish,

What you are saying is probably correct, but with one unfortunate incident i had this system would have surely saved my jet, when for some reason it caught fire during flight where i could clearly see flames glowing and would have fired the system after shutting off turbine and extinguished on board fire and saved my jet from total distruction!!!

Regards,

Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is the body of an email previously sent to a customer describing methods of operation. Hope it is helpful.

Bill

As discussed, Flame Out is activated by pilot control at the transmitter.

1. The most common turbine fires are wet starts on the flight line. The operator or pilot has immediate control, saving 20 to 30 seconds necessary to find and use a conventional fire extinguisher.
2. A second common problem is an airframe equipment or engine malfunction in the air. The pilot operates Flame Out in case of an air emergency. Flame Out will shutdown a full throttle turbine and cool the engine prior to the cornfield crash. Even if fuel tanks break on impact, a cool engine is not likely to ignite raw fuel. Best-case scenario is no fire. Worst-case scenario an extra 3 minutes to arrive at the crash scene with additional equipment.
3. Occasionally a visible fire is observed in the air that can be extinguished under pilot control. The flight controls are not set to fail-safe and often a relatively safe power off landing can be made in a confined area or runway.
4. Since Flame Out is servo activated, fail-safe can also be used.

Impact or trigger on impact is an additional possibility. Flame Out will trip if seriously shocked or dropped hard.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
morro

I understand what you are saying here mate, I had some friends recently attend Temora jets 2009 and they told me that a couple of planes had caught fire while they were being taxied, the sad thing about these situatuions is there were no fire extingushiers on hand and subsequently they were destroyed, a system like mine and others is that response time of at least saving the plane is in seconds, you have to remember here is that most fires occur on the ground away from the pilot and having a extingusher system would save the plane.

At the end of the day if you are flying and see something out of the ordinary and you let the system go you will not harm the plane or its gear and this may give you enough time to get the plane down and your offsider to have an extingusher ready and for you to save the plane. Most fires happen away from the pilot on the ground and as we know time is critical.

The good thing is if the system is accidently let go it can be replenished so it is not a once off, I have yet to setup a mock up but when I do I will post pics.

regards
Todd

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
cavandish

I like the sound of the flame out more now, one question though, with regard to "Occasionally a visible fire is observed in the air that can be extinguished under pilot control' this is fine, providing that the fire is within the turbine (or behind) am I barking up the wrong tree ? or do we see fire outside of the turbine occasionally ?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
resjets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPF3hI1wpt8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNtgL...eature=related
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 PM
cavandish

Good video, the flame out would of worked a dream on that one.
personally, I dispise those lizards who consider other peoples misfortune as being "very funny"
I am convinced now, all I need is a spare channel !
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Pipecleaner

Could have been usefull..
I took me 15-20 sec to grip and "fire" the extinguisher... enogh time for heat damages
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56202.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1295944  
Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
resjets

All the test that have been done on the Flame Out have been with 12gram Co2 cartridges. The 12gram is efficient enough to put out a P120 turbine engine at full throttle but for bigger engines and for more assurance in a fuselage fire you could use a lager sized cartridge,they come in many sizes, with two lines one running to the turbine and one flooding the fuselage with Co2. The Co2 Cartridges in the photo are 38g 24g 16g and 12g . The total weight of the System with the 38g cartridge is 10oz,shown in the photo.

Name:	Ay75681.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1296069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38173.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1296070  
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
gruntled

What are the physical dimensions of the unit?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
resjets

here is a photo of the flameOut showing the diminsions.

Name:	Yw68195.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1296419  
Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
gruntled

Thank you.