Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New! On board fire extinguisher for jets

To add some prevention to the list, and this will drop the possibilities of a fire is to remove the on board propane system. I no longer use propane on board and either does some of our members at our field and since then, there has not been any fires in the last 5 crashes at our field. The biggest perpetrator to our crash and burns is the on board propane.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: BirdofpraY

To add some prevention to the list, and this will drop the possibilities of a fire is to remove the on board propane system. I no longer use propane on board and either does some of our members at our field and since then, there has not been any fires in the last 5 crashes at our field. The biggest perpetrator to our crash and burns is the on board propane.
How would you know that though? I would think that the only way to tell is through the statistics of post-crash fires with, and without onboard propane and I don't believe that there is enough data to support that either way. Also, I've never seen a propane can that has ruptured in a crash, but its rare that the fuel tanks remain intact...

Bob
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

It only takes the propane lines to give way to release the gas so even though the can isn't crushed it could still be a factor. The gas is the only volatile material on board. Even if it doesn't cause the fire it certainly would add to it and the difficulty in putting it out.
But, that's probably a whole 'nother debate...[:-]
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Like causeitflies states, propane it the most volatile substance. On our jets almost 100% of the time in a crash the this gas escapes from either lines or some orifices that connects it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 PM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

Here's some food for thought. Robin ran a few more tests on the Flame Out today. He got in touch with the people who make the CO2 cartridges and found out that they have 850psi. With the turbine not running, but the electronics turned on, Robin fired off the Flame Out several times and each time the turbine was instantly spooled up to 6400rpm.

Now for the good bit, if you watch the video again you may catch smoke coming out of the rear of the turbine when the Flame Out is triggered. Through testing Robin has realized that during the tests when the Flame Out is triggered, fuel is still pumping through the lines until the ECU catches onto the fact that the turbine isn't running anymore. So that smoke you see coming out of the back is vaporized fuel, fuel that has passed through the turbine the moment the Flame Out has been triggered. I found that little fact extremely interesting....
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I still don't understand why it is better to inject some CO2 in the running turbine instead of telling the ECU to shutdown the turbine immediately. Someone could develop a box which connects between the rx and the ECU and use an accelerometer to shutdown the turbine in case of a crash. The shutdown could be as simple as sending the throttle low / trim low signal. It appears that closing the fuel valve and turning the fuel pump off might happen faster than triggering a CO2 container. And also, no extra container would be required.

Of course, detecting a crash is not easy. But that problem is the same whether CO2 or a signal is used to actually shutdown the turbine.

Given the fact that accelerometers are now completely mainstream, I think it would make sense for turbine manufacturers to include this as an ECU feature.

Thoughts?

Arnaud
Old 04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why you see these great big flames out of the back of engines that have seized. There is still a fire, and the pump increases in power till it registers RPM's have dropped.

Woketman can tell you all about it. ISOBURN!!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CSpaced

Here's some food for thought. Robin ran a few more tests on the Flame Out today. He got in touch with the people who make the CO2 cartridges and found out that they have 850psi. With the turbine not running, but the electronics turned on, Robin fired off the Flame Out several times and each time the turbine was instantly spooled up to 6400rpm.

Now for the good bit, if you watch the video again you may catch smoke coming out of the rear of the turbine when the Flame Out is triggered. Through testing Robin has realized that during the tests when the Flame Out is triggered, fuel is still pumping through the lines until the ECU catches onto the fact that the turbine isn't running anymore. So that smoke you see coming out of the back is vaporized fuel, fuel that has passed through the turbine the moment the Flame Out has been triggered. I found that little fact extremely interesting....
It wouldn't be difficult to include a switch that would immediately cut power to the fuel pump on activation of the fire extinguisher.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
siclick33

CSpaced:

Through testing Robin has realized that during the tests when the Flame Out is triggered, fuel is still pumping through the lines until the ECU catches onto the fact that the turbine isn't running anymore.
Didn't I say that several posts ago?? [sm=idea.gif]

Siclick33:

Forcing a flameout with CO2 may have a disadvantage in that the ECU will continue to pump fuel (and may even increase fuel flow) until the flameout has been recognised and the pump is stopped.
If you stop the engine with via the ECU or cutting off the power supply this won't happen.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

The point I was trying to make was that even if fuel (from ruptured lines or the tank) entered the turbine it would not ignite because the Flame Out had extinguished and cooled the turbine.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 PM
BillS

ORIGINAL: BillS

Demonstration

I spoke with the owner and preparations for a ‘Flame Out’ demonstration at Joe Nall in May are in process. In addition a demonstration next Saturday at the GRAMS club in Brown Summit, NC is planed. The club meets at 12:00 o’clock on Saturday.

There will NOT be a turbine crash. A wet start shutdown and a full throttle shut down will be demonstrated. A crash or inertia shutdown will be simulated.

Bill

I expect the Joe Nall demonstration will be on Friday.

Inertia shutdown will be preformed without batteries anywhere near ‘Flame Out’.
‘Flame Out’ demonstration was very successful today. We got a late start and some 25-club members had already gone home since it was too windy for them to fly. I flew a prop airplane just to show that it could be done but the balance of the crowd were … well wooseys.

Four high-speed full throttle engine shutdowns were performed on the bench. The turbine shut down in approximately three secounds and the temperature went from 580 degrees C to 280 degrees C in three seconds. The raw fuel pumped into the turbine during ‘Flame Out’ shutdown did not reignite. Everyone left understanding ‘Flame Out’ would extinguish the flame in the turbine at full throttle and during a wet start.

Crash/inertia simulation appeared to have more variance than expected and additional design changes are being made as we speak.

One important question developed. At what drop height on the nose on hard ground should inertia trigger ‘Flame Out?’ On a fully loaded airplane should the drop height be one foot or four feet or some other value. While we don’t expect anyone to drop the airplane on the nose some value that can be simulated needs to be determined.

Thanks for any input.

Bill
Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 AM
resjets

HI, I have done some more testing with my on board fire extinguisher. bob Wilcox , jet cat USA told me how to set the ECU for hot start testing. very hot start! http://rcuvideos.com/video/flame-out-test-2-mpg

spool up test, 7,300 RPM http://rcuvideos.com/video/spool-up-test-mpg
Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
BillS

Are the days for the Joe Nall demonstrations known yet?

Bill
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Wow...how did you get it to hot start like that?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Henk Visser

Have a look at page 10!
HAWE modelltechnik is selling it since a few years!

http://www.hawe-modellbau.de/katalog/Katalog.pdf
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Ray Davis

8-9 years ago I was interested as to what might cause fires when we crashed, as there was much speculation/misinformation then, and which apparently still exists in this thread.

My 'testing' was replicated by many respected modelers at the time....and we all came to the same conclusion: if the 'light' is out in the engine, then the turbine will not be an ignition source in a crash. There is no 'cooloing' needed...in fact I demonstrated that the surfaces on (even) a turbine running at max RPM (AMT Merc and Pegaus...and none run hotter ) will only 'smoke' the fuel...whether misted/spilled on the exhaust or even directly in the exhaust stream. Any fuel (misted/spilled/whatever) introduced into the intake of a running engine was an entirely different matter as has been indicated by others here: large fireball out the exhaust!

I tried to time things as best I could...perhaps tenths of a second after shut-down I misted fuel into the intake and there was only smoke out the exhaust (at any RPM). And shut-down seemed instantaneous w/ the Tx command (and w/ sprayed fuel introduction and Tx command virtually simultaneous). Shutting the fule valve off showed a significant delay, i.e., the engine first slowed, then lost ignition....i.e., not a viable way to prevent a fire in a crash. However, that was w/ the valve just before the pump (as I prefer a direct run/no connections to the engine on the pressure side)...but, as I recall, someone else showed there was still a perceptable delay on the pressure side, as well.

The above was the basis for mandating shutting down w/ a FS event, and of course, if a crash seemed imminant, from the Tx (spotter should reach over, etc.). I think it can be put to bed: if the engine is is 'out', even for a fraction of a second before intake fuel introduction, (however/if that can be effected), then it will not be an ignition source in a crash.

The trick is obviously that last part !

Ray
Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
resjets

HI mkranitz
Jetcat told me how to set the parameter's in the ECU for hot start
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
resjets

Flame Out system is now in stock at http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/acce/turbines/acce/ http://rcuvideos.com/video/F-86-propane-fire
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30200.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1293281  
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How does it detect and then discharge on impact?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Strykaas

ORIGINAL: CSpaced

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Ron S

I think TJT was offering something like this (onboard extinguisher) about 6 years ago, but it never went anywhere...

Actually, Todd Walters developed this exact device back in 2004. He was working with TJT to market the device but there was very little interest in it back then... and these where the days when hot starts were common.
I worked closely with Todd during this period and while his unit did trigger on impact, he was not convinced it reacted fast enough to eliminate ruptured fuel ignition. As I told Robin at FJ, if he can produce the unit with a retail around 100.00 he may sell a few.... Glad to see he has taken the advice and reduced the size!!
Anyone remember the BVM ''Fire Extinguisher'' bladder on the Bobcats?
I do not know anything about Todd Walters so I cannot comment on that. Size reduction of the unit has always been a priority, even before FJ, and as for sales prediction - only time will tell.

We do plan on running a practical test of this unit by performing a controlled (i.e. closed field, pro pilot) crash of a turbine powered model with this system installed. We will be filming it and it will post the video up once we are done.
performing a controlled (i.e. closed field, pro pilot) crash of a turbine powered mode
Where is the controlled crash video ?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Hot dam! We been talking about that for years! Can't wait to see the 2011 mandate that all RC jets must have this device on board [sm=bananahead.gif]

How soon can I get a couple, I might be able to get the OF's off our backs down here during droughts!!!

Sean

Are you gonna contact AMA and make sure the mandate happens for us???? More AMA control... Just like the U.S. goverment.. I love it !!!

Later Dude !!!!

Danno
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
resjets

The Flame Out unit is designed to trigger from the transmitter, but it could activate automatically from a sever impact of the aircraft. Because there is no catch mechanism on the hammer that hits the firing pin
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
SinCityJets

So could a stiff bump or something like that activate the hammer on take-off? Taking off of grass for example.

Chad
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
resjets

No, a stiff bump upon take off is not enough to activate the system. A sever hard landing which would cause the landing gear to tear up probably would not activate the sytem.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM
resjets

Mandates will be effective Jan. 1st 2010! LOL [8D]
The AMA does know about the Flame Out system, but it is my personal opinion that mandates are not in the future of RC jet usage. All fire extinguisher systems are useless until they are needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.