Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

P70 Flameout

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

P70 Flameout

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Duncan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P70 Flameout

I had 2 flameouts on my P70 on Sunday. The GSU said the stutdown was caused by "Fuel Fail" which makes sense as there was no white trail when it flamed out. After the first one, we ran it up on the ground and it was fine with no air in the system. I fuelled up, took off, started to turn and another flame out with down wind landing.

I've changed the fuel pump to see if that sorts it. Apart from the fuel valve is there anything else i could check? i'm meant to be flying friday, sat and sun this weekend so would like to see if i can sort it before hand so i can make the most of the flying time.

A mate has suggested checking the bag in the UAT to see if it's clogged, which i'll check later

Dunc
Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: P70 Flameout

Dunc must have been something in the air, my Simjet flamed out twice on Sunday, glad to say both times just after i landed like yours im somewhat baffled as each time i fired back up all was ok

lozza
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Slam_Dunc

I had 2 flameouts on my P70 on Sunday. The GSU said the stutdown was caused by "Fuel Fail" which makes sense as there was no white trail when it flamed out. After the first one, we ran it up on the ground and it was fine with no air in the system. I fuelled up, took off, started to turn and another flame out with down wind landing.

I've changed the fuel pump to see if that sorts it. Apart from the fuel valve is there anything else i could check? i'm meant to be flying friday, sat and sun this weekend so would like to see if i can sort it before hand so i can make the most of the flying time.

A mate has suggested checking the bag in the UAT to see if it's clogged, which i'll check later

Dunc
Hi Dunc:

Can you take out all the fuel from the fiuel tanks? Are they totally empty when you take out all the fuel?

If not, check the clunk hose.

I had a similar situation with a P-70. After some minutes of flight, flame out. I found that one clunck hose was out of the fuel tube inside the tank so when the fuel level reached 50% of the fuel tank, I had a flame out.

I fixed it disassembling the fuel tank and fixing the fuel hose again. I installed fuel barbs too.

Guillermo
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Duncan

Hi Guillermo

i'll check that tonight but it should be ok, while the turbine and model were bought secondhand i re-did the install so i could check everything.

Aye Lozza must of been, i thought Ali had hurt it's feelings by calling it names at first, but nope it was a fuel problem, just what i'm not sure
Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
jason

Yes thats a strange one but I would think the pump is duff.

The landing was about 3/4 of a mile down the runway and here a pic Ali managed to get with £2000 worth of telescopic lens.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55415.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1180783  
Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Jason..
Dont forget that was after he had walked it back into range somewhat. I think I might see if I cent the Hubbell for Friday. I have told Dunc to get his running shoes on. The only good news is if he lands like that again on Friday, at least he can get the little chef order in before we get there.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Duncan

lol it was still a landing and on the tarmac, so i'll take it

i changed the pump last night but won't get to run it up until tomorrow as i'm taking the engine out of the old mans camper tonight after it caught fire on friday. if it's not one thing it's another !!!

Cheers Ali, you are all heart !! lol There you go thinking about food again, soon there will be 2 people called football face in the display team
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: Ali

Jason..
Dont forget that was after he had walked it back into range somewhat. I think I might see if I cent the Hubbell for Friday. I have told Dunc to get his running shoes on. The only good news is if he lands like that again on Friday, at least he can get the little chef order in before we get there.

Is Abingdon runway long enough for Dunc to land the Bandit I wonder?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Fuel Failure for a jetcat can happen for a variety of different issues. Could be a bad fuel pump, eratic RPM pickup, clogged fuel filter, etc etc. basically i believe the logics behind the ECU is that the ECU is commanding the pump at X amount of voltage to maintain a Y RPM. If the rpm to pump voltage deviates z amount of percentage you would get the fuel failure notification. If you have a faulty rpm sensor if could be a "fake" fuel failure, but because the ECU was reading eratic rpm reading it could claim "fuel failure" because of so.I recently had a fuel failure on a P120. No white smoke, running about 70-80% throttle on a straight and level flight and it just flamed out.

After calling jetcat a few times and talking with Bob Wilcox and Matt over the internet I was able to determine I had a pump going bad. The pump only had 2hrs 34min of runtime on it. What I did was to run the pump at specified voltage (2.0v) and what I noticed is that the pump would change its speed erratically. I sent the pump to Jetcat for verification and they confirmed it was bad. I had the turbine NIB for about 9 mo before I ever had an airframe to put it on. When the pump failed it was over a year old but had very little run time. Jetcat was unable to credit/replace the pump due to the time I had the engine. I bought a new pump, installed and everything has been great so far.

Hope this has helped you out some

Sean
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

If your pump is bad then you will be able to get a good indication if you check your Max Pump Voltage. If it is abnormally high then your pump is working too hard for little output. This could be blockage or just the motor going bad.

Also, a buddy of mine was having similar issues with is 18. He would run the plane on the ground and everything was all good and then when he lined up, hit the gas and rotated, flameout. This happened a couple times in roughly the same orientation (high AOA). Turns out the cap on his UAT was a little loose and when the plane got a little nose high the air in the UAT would orient itself near the cap and the UAT would suck more air thus giving the flameout. So I would check your plumbing and make sure all your connections are tight and secure as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dunc,

Turn on your ecu whilst holding the plus key and you can access the last 8 seconds of rpm, temp etc data prior to ecu shutdown. That will give you a clue if your rpm was constant, what your pump voltage was and your real and commanded rpm's were. That wil give you a clue as to whether you had a fluctuating rpm due to a dodgy fuel pump. I had exactly the same thing happen recently on my 180 on the test flight of my skymaster 1/6 F16.....it landed in the bush and trashed half the fuselage[:@]. I am suspicious of a power failure to my fuel solenoid at this stage as my parameters were all consistent prior to shutdown., no white smoke and pump is functioning normally and turning over easily at 0.3 v. Very annoying. I have never had a flameout in flight before and this really pi$$ed me off!

I hope that may help you a little. Let me know what you find.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Be very careful interpeting the last 8 seconds of data from the hand held. Directly from Bob, by moving up and down in the menu to see all of the info the data gets all screwed up. Best to download to pc. Also, I believe it shows in .2 second intervals. You should look at the last 2 seconds very closely. Attached is a sample from the GSU. Look at my .2, .4, .6 intervals. you can see rpm go down and fuel pump voltage go up. Just goes to show in my earlier thred that when the rpm to pump voltage deviates z amount of percentage you would get the fuel failure notification.

Good Luck
Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1180829  
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Duncan

Cheers for all the info everyone. We ran it up on the ground after the flame out so the last 8 seconds won't be when it flamed out unfortunately. I have checked the UAT aand everything looks fine there. My tank drains full, so no problem with the clunk. i'll run it up tomorrow and look at the gsu reading to see if i can make any sense of it., it looks like a loads of random numbers at the minute, so i could do with learning about it

Jason not sure about that mate, but i can always hand it over to you lol,
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Try to pick the plane up and move it around while it's running too. You might be able to reproduce the flameout, if it's not too heavy.