Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: gyro question

DelGatoGrande,
In this case it's all about the points in high level competition. If the wind is knocking your plane around and the other guy's plane is rock solid, who will get the higher score?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark you speak strait as we say here in Greece..and im sorry i cant give you a strait reply like yours.

i only try to warn Barry in a small case his toy would get in troble... nothink more..

but as already mentioned aileron gyro can go off for landings and be on to the rest of the filte so no promblem...[&o]
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Sorry Delgato you really have it all mixed up. I have been using ailerons on real and model jets on approach (somtimes in 35 knots of crosswind, in Boeings, no problem ! ) A gyro does it automatically on models , makes the approach smoother. HOWEVER, if you fly the approach very near or at the stall, which is a very unwise thing to do with ANY aeroplane, large or small, you CAN make a wing drop worse by using aileron, Thats why, one reason anyway, we keep a sensible margin ABOVE the stall on the approach. I have just spent a week demonstrating that to Air Cadets in gliders by showing them the result of coarse use of aileron AT the stall: incipient spin, and INSISTING they fly at a safe margin above the stall.

Remember too that ailerons controlled by gyros have limited authority otherwise they ''hunt''.

No, just add a gyro to aileron and rudder if neccesary and see how much smoother they make things, I doubt I will ever equip another jet without an aileron gyro.

...and PS please don't tell my Hawks about the need for a gyro on rudder, they go straight on t/o without one, ( so does my Starjet and L39 and my Mig 29) although I do give them a little help with rudder and nosweheel steering ! Actually on my BobCats the gyro gain is INCREASED with gear down ! You must also remember that any yaw caused by aileron application is immediately countered by the gyro on the rudder if you are using one.

Its also worth remembering that if a heavily loaded model requires high speed for take off the rudder authority will increase as the SQUARE of the speed which should make it more directionally stable and controllable.

I have four jets with aileron gyros, two Bobcats (which also have rudder gyros) and two Air World Hawks, (aileron ONLY) the result is really smooth flying although to retain normal aileron sensitivity you do have to increase aileron travel by an amount equal to the gyro travel authority UNLESS you have stick priority.

We did quite an extensive article in RCJI about 18 months ago on gyro theory and practice, its all there !

Here a picture of a gyro in action!

Regards,

David.

to future searchers: 2012 update statement from the same guy regarding dangerous problems caused by gyros on ailerons.

post #626 here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...m.htm#11184084

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Gyros, caution: If you have a gyro on roll and the machine drops a wing at the stall, the gyro will do exactly the wrong thing, ie use aileron to counteract, leading to possible further wing drop, hello spin.

Regards,

David.

By the way that was exactly what i was try to warn everybody back then in this subject.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

ORIGINAL: davo580

I do beleive that gyros help but if in comps dosn't it make it unfair on pilots that don't use them because they can't aford them because they spent all of their hard earned dollars to get to comps and fly jets
In the case of Top Gun, the cost of a gyro is but a drop in the bucket.