Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another Skymaster Viper

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another Skymaster Viper

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
DENTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Skymaster Viper

G-DAY GUYS
You know one becomes PARANOID with all the talk about the rudder hinges,May be some one else has allready been there but I have seald the hing line with tape as with some of the big 3D planes,Also have found a spot for the smoke tank shall post some shots of both.
REGARDS
JOHN
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58126.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1315414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69519.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1315415  
Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

John,

Ditch the tie wraps on your connections and use safety wire. The tie wraps don't apply even pressure and can even cause air leaks sometimes!

Oh, that's a handy spot for the tank - it's where I put my tank all smugly and then realised my wheels will hit it So, you gotta bend those pipes straight up like that!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a picture of where my buddy BillB put his smoke tanks underneath the intake ducts. The picture only shows the stopper end of the tanks and little of the plumbing but the general idea is there. I think they were 2 - 32 oz dubros but can't remember for sure what he told me they were.

PaulD

Name:	Db85701.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	1315440  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
hpais

A few more pics, hopefully these don't screw up the screen size...

Name:	Om32587.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1315493  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM
SAP_2000

PaulD: Very nice and clean install[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PaulD

Here's a picture of where my buddy BillB put his smoke tanks underneath the intake ducts. The picture only shows the stopper end of the tanks and little of the plumbing but the general idea is there. I think they were 2 - 32 oz dubros but can't remember for sure what he told me they were.

PaulD

PD, thats a super install!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 PM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: schroedm

John,

Ditch the tie wraps on your connections and use safety wire. The tie wraps don't apply even pressure and can even cause air leaks sometimes!

Oh, that's a handy spot for the tank - it's where I put my tank all smugly and then realised my wheels will hit it So, you gotta bend those pipes straight up like that!
THANKS Mark
Shall replace, They were from an old install, Didnt give it a thought ,Good spot for the tank, Did start with a bigger tank but it intruded into the well but this one is better.
REGARDS
JOHN
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 AM
PaulD

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

ORIGINAL: PaulD

PaulD

PD, thats a super install!!!
Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments but please give credit to Bill Broderick who built the jet. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I just took the pictures of how it should be done.

I am still waiting to get my hands on my kit so I can start building.

PaulD
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
hangarman

Went to B&Q (model lighting department!!!) today and found some LED's that I think do the job. Some pics for you. I am going to play around with them today and make a box section for the lights. Paul / Bill nice idea putting the smoke tank under there, very neat!

H

Name:	Qo40827.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1315755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28203.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1315756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45154.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1315757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90096.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1315758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75037.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1315759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48716.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1315760  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
RJE
My Feedback: (13)

George,

Thank you for the site of this braided sleeving.. This site is unbelievable..

Ron
Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Jim Cattanach

Beautiful day here, so went to maiden the Viper. Had four flights. All settings as per the manual & CG 235mm. Timer set for five minutes.

Flight one:- Lifted off gently. Tried to retract the gear, but the doors fouled the slow rising gear, so flew with the gear down. Did a few circuits with very little trim required. Tried the flaps. At both take off & full settings the jet pitched up slightly (mental note to add some down mix). Flew mostly around half throttle with some full bursts. Landed a little on the fast side just to be safe.

Flight two:- Added in 3% down elevator to take off flap & 6% to landing flap. Also set landing flap to more than 45 degrees. Filled gear tanks to 6bar pressure. Gear still would not retract properly. Landed slower & very gently.

Flight three:- Noticed a slight gap between the right wing & the fuz, but seemed secure. After take off I went inverted & retracted the gear. One main & the nose went up, the other main fouled with the door. Slowed up more this time for a shorter landing. I checked the wing/fuz gap & it had not opened any further.

Flight four:- Set landing flap for as much as possible, almost like airbrakes. Filled the gear airtanks to 8bar pressure. Took off & retracted the gear inverted. This time all three went up & the doors closed. The jet flys so much better with the gear up. Rolls are very axial. Slowed the jet up even more for landing & with the full flap, it landed at jogging pace.

After landing I noticed the right wing/fuz gap had increased to over eighth of an inch. I stopped flying for the day. When I arrived home, I cut an access into the wing root, just above the wing retaining plate. There was virtually no glue securing the flat plate to the wing. You could see the dimples on the plate where the glue was supposed to be. I consider myself very lucky not to have lost my Viper due to this quality control issue. I have fitted ply supports & hysol. Although the other wing seemed ok, I opened it up & found there was plenty of glue in place. I added some hysol just in case.
I must say the Skymaster Viper is a lovely jet to fly. It just needs Skymaster to fix the quality control issues to make it perfect.

Regards
Jim
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Matt Chapman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also enjoyingnice weather in the northeast U.S.... so taking advantage of it and flying my Viper as well. I have 10 flights on it to date. I have a few smalll issues but nothing major or that would keep me from flying it.

First flight the plane was very tail heavy... had balanced it on the aft CG mark.... rebalanced to the forward CG and all was good. I have been removing weight a little at a time until the jet flys the way I want it to.

Flaps.... I too had thought about adding more down flap. Mine are set at 40 degrees. It's just the sound of the servos at 40 that have stopped me from going further. A longer horn on the flap would have been nicer I'm guessing. But I'll try going to 45 plus.

Aileron deflection.... I set my throw to manual specs..... It's fine for flying arround.... but not too good for multipul vertical rolls. Any body out there have a higher setting for throwing the Viper around a bit that seem to work well?

The last thing that is still bugging me is my gear. about 50% of the time when I turn ON, the gear doors open...the gear retracts, then extends and the doors close. Doesnt always happen. If I plug a servo into the RX where the sequesncer is plugged... it blips when you turn ON... tried another RX...same. Thought it may be a voltage issue with fresh charge.... seems not to be. Maybe reducing the ATV (end pionts) Who knows. Its not a binding issue. Anyway... I simply hold the nose up when I turn on and let it do it's thing. kind of silly for a 10k jet!

This is my first jet and I'm still really liking this thing!

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Jim Cattanach

Matt. If you are using 2.4, it could be a failsafe setting issue. Try binding again, making sure the gear switch is in the down position. Other than that, not sure what the problem would be.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt Chapman

Also enjoyingnice weather in the northeast U.S.... so taking advantage of it and flying my Viper as well. I have 10 flights on it to date. I have a few smalll issues but nothing major or that would keep me from flying it.

First flight the plane was very tail heavy... had balanced it on the aft CG mark.... rebalanced to the forward CG and all was good. I have been removing weight a little at a time until the jet flys the way I want it to.

Flaps.... I too had thought about adding more down flap. Mine are set at 40 degrees. It's just the sound of the servos at 40 that have stopped me from going further. A longer horn on the flap would have been nicer I'm guessing. But I'll try going to 45 plus.

Aileron deflection.... I set my throw to manual specs..... It's fine for flying arround.... but not too good for multipul vertical rolls. Any body out there have a higher setting for throwing the Viper around a bit that seem to work well?

The last thing that is still bugging me is my gear. about 50% of the time when I turn ON, the gear doors open...the gear retracts, then extends and the doors close. Doesnt always happen. If I plug a servo into the RX where the sequesncer is plugged... it blips when you turn ON... tried another RX...same. Thought it may be a voltage issue with fresh charge.... seems not to be. Maybe reducing the ATV (end pionts) Who knows. Its not a binding issue. Anyway... I simply hold the nose up when I turn on and let it do it's thing. kind of silly for a 10k jet!

This is my first jet and I'm still really liking this thing!

Thanks for any input.

do you have the up and down valve reversed? (airlines and programming)
a jettronic has a backup failsafe
or like our flying scottmans says maybe you need to rebind?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

Beautiful day here, so went to maiden the Viper. Had four flights. All settings as per the manual & CG 235mm. Timer set for five minutes.

Flight one:- Lifted off gently. Tried to retract the gear, but the doors fouled the slow rising gear, so flew with the gear down. Did a few circuits with very little trim required. Tried the flaps. At both take off & full settings the jet pitched up slightly (mental note to add some down mix). Flew mostly around half throttle with some full bursts. Landed a little on the fast side just to be safe.

Flight two:- Added in 3% down elevator to take off flap & 6% to landing flap. Also set landing flap to more than 45 degrees. Filled gear tanks to 6bar pressure. Gear still would not retract properly. Landed slower & very gently.

Flight three:- Noticed a slight gap between the right wing & the fuz, but seemed secure. After take off I went inverted & retracted the gear. One main & the nose went up, the other main fouled with the door. Slowed up more this time for a shorter landing. I checked the wing/fuz gap & it had not opened any further.

Flight four:- Set landing flap for as much as possible, almost like airbrakes. Filled the gear airtanks to 8bar pressure. Took off & retracted the gear inverted. This time all three went up & the doors closed. The jet flys so much better with the gear up. Rolls are very axial. Slowed the jet up even more for landing & with the full flap, it landed at jogging pace.

After landing I noticed the right wing/fuz gap had increased to over eighth of an inch. I stopped flying for the day. When I arrived home, I cut an access into the wing root, just above the wing retaining plate. There was virtually no glue securing the flat plate to the wing. You could see the dimples on the plate where the glue was supposed to be. I consider myself very lucky not to have lost my Viper due to this quality control issue. I have fitted ply supports & hysol. Although the other wing seemed ok, I opened it up & found there was plenty of glue in place. I added some hysol just in case.
I must say the Skymaster Viper is a lovely jet to fly. It just needs Skymaster to fix the quality control issues to make it perfect.

Regards
Jim
HEY JIM
Idid not trust the LITTLE TAB to hold the wing on so added a bolt in to the wing about 70mm in from the root rib through and into the wing tube Also added a piece of basswood
into the tube at the spot of the bolt so it is tapped into it.

Name:	Tr49621.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1316539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96462.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1316540  
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
loukos
My Feedback: (2)

Regards
Jim
Congrats Jim,

Chris filled me in on all your escapades at Ladies Mile, luck b****rds some people were stuck behind the office all day... Also it seems the viper due to its size attracted some attention at the field from the RAF

So now confident enough to bring it to ST.Barbs on Saturday

On with the panther now
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: DENTO

Regards
Jim
HEY JIM
Idid not trust the LITTLE TAB to hold the wing on so added a bolt in to the wing about 70mm in from the root rib through and into the wing tube Also added a piece of basswood
into the tube at the spot of the bolt so it is tapped into it.
Thanks Dento. That single little tab, even when glued solidly, still allows some backwards & forwards movement of the wing. Leverage caused by flying stresses can only make this movement worse. I don't trust it. I will do as you did, or fit another tab further back.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: loukos

Regards
Jim
Congrats Jim,

Chris filled me in on all your escapades at Ladies Mile, luck b****rds some people were stuck behind the office all day... Also it seems the viper due to its size attracted some attention at the field from the RAF

So now confident enough to bring it to ST.Barbs on Saturday

On with the panther now
Hi loukis. Yes, we were visited by an RAF search & rescue helicopter from Akrotiri base. It landed & came over to see us.. Going back to Ladies mile on Friday to get in a few more landings. Should be ok for Santa Barbara after that. My Fei Bao Panther is also next to get finished. Put it to the side to build the Viper.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Heer

@Jascat: "Noticed a slight gap between the right wing & the fuz"
Same was by mine Viperjet and also by a friend of me.
@ DENTO: I fix my wing with a M4 screw at the end of the tube in wing ( 1" from the end-at his point is wood built in from factory). Your solution isn't good, because your screw is in wing-stress area.
Regards
Fritz
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 AM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: Heer

@Jascat: ''Noticed a slight gap between the right wing & the fuz''
@ DENTO: I fix my wing with a M4 screw at the end of the tube in wing ( 1'' from the end-at his point is wood built in from factory). Your solution isn't good, because your screw is in wing-stress area.
Regards
Fritz
HEY Fritz
Done the numbers with the internal brace extruded in the tube add basswood takes care of any stress no problems been doing it this way for yonks never failed.
REGARDS
DENTO
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Jim Cattanach

I made an additional wing fixing in the tube. Used hardwood quadrant same as Dento, but epoxied it in the wing tube at each end. Drilled holes as per Fritz, one inch from the end of the wing tube & used 4mm bolts. the wing is rock solid with just this, but I will also use the original fixings as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
hangarman

Guys,

I had a few questions and request sent to me regarding the LED units from B&Q. I have taken some pics for you of the units to show their size. The major downside to these is the cost from B&Q, they come complete with a transfomer and junction box and cost £40 for three units. So I have paid for a lot of parts I dont need!! I was hoping to be able to source the LED's with casings on their own. I wonder if anyone can help? The LED's should be easy enough to find, its the casings and lenses that might be an issue.....any thoughts? Apart from dont buy them their too expensive!

Sorry about the photos!

H

Name:	Nl31077.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1317031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30462.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1317032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49259.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1317033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53095.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1317034  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: hangarman

Guys,

I had a few questions and request sent to me regarding the LED units from B&Q. I have taken some pics for you of the units to show their size. The major downside to these is the cost from B&Q, they come complete with a transfomer and junction box and cost £40 for three units. So I have paid for a lot of parts I dont need!! I was hoping to be able to source the LED's with casings on their own. I wonder if anyone can help? The LED's should be easy enough to find, its the casings and lenses that might be an issue.....any thoughts? Apart from dont buy them their too expensive!

Sorry about the photos!

H

HANGERMAN
DID you see the link on page15 just down from the top for DETAILS 4 SCALE
REGARDS JOHN
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 AM
PaulD

ORIGINAL: Heer

@Jascat: ''Noticed a slight gap between the right wing & the fuz''
@ DENTO: I fix my wing with a M4 screw at the end of the tube in wing ( 1'' from the end-at his point is wood built in from factory). Your solution isn't good, because your screw is in wing-stress area.
Regards
Fritz
Just a heads up guys....

For those of you who noticed the extra gap between the wing and fuse - check to make sure the wing tube is not bent.

PaulD
Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: hangarman

Guys,

Sorry about the photos!

H

these are just STANDARD luxeon emitters right?
if there is interest i could make body,s for those , will cost less then those units

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.