Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hat's off to the AMA and JPO

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hat's off to the AMA and JPO

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hat's off to the AMA and JPO

As none of our jets have airspeed indicators in them the regulation wouldn't apply in any case since the FAR speed restriction specifically refers to indicated airspeed. (ground speed is not regulated)

But in the spirit of the thread's intent...Thank you, JPO, for representing us and getting results.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess we should leave sleeping dogs lie. Raise the limit raise awaremess,if you don't want the FAA p*ssing in your corn flakes leave it alone. There is no way to enforce the limit Now! put a higher limit on paper and they just might be interested. I don't want to start anything just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: toolmaker7341

I guess we should leave sleeping dogs lie. Raise the limit raise awaremess,if you don't want the FAA p*ssing in your corn flakes leave it alone. There is no way to enforce the limit Now! put a higher limit on paper and they just might be interested. I don't want to start anything just my 2 cents.
toolmaker speaketh wise words.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Actually there IS at least one easy way to enforce the limit, and the AMA came uncomfortably close to adopting it under Dave Brown's direction some years ago - making speed limiters madatory on all turbine powered models. (Maybe some of you guys just are too new to turbines to remember that, or have short memories.)

If anything like that were to happen in future, then there's absolutely no point in all of you guys suddenly speaking up and saying "If speed limiters are to be required, then the limit should be raised" – because by then your credibility with the AMA is totally shot as you basically confirm to the AMA that many within our group have just been ignoring the rule(s) thusfar.

Furthermore, why is it OK to keep increasing weight, and thrust limits etc., and not think "Uh-oh, the Fed's or 'other' such authorities might get interested if we put it on paper that we now have more massive models capable of carrying a much larger payload of, uh, 'stuff' around the skies", and only hypocritically apply such thinking to speed ?

Gordon
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM
toolmaker7341

"He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak." - Michel de Montaigne
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Hey guys....the more you bring things like this up, the more chance you have of there being a problem with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

So would this be your suggested 'solution' to the issue ?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Now that's funny cause I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing
Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

We need fewer rules in life not more. I wonder how much flying is done by those who like to make the rules.

It is my experience that the rule makers do very little flying, They like to sit back and impose things on others.

We need fewer control freaks and more people who subscribe to the live and let live principal
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

I don't suggest the "head in the sand" idea Gordon...just not making a bigger deal about things needed. Somtimes we talk ourselves "into a deal and right back out of them". I agree with bigplumbs....sometimes it best NOT stirring the pot so much....
Just my opinion and obsevation.

Wex
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

We need fewer rules in life not more. I wonder how much flying is done by those who like to make the rules.

It is my experience that the rule makers do very little flying, They like to sit back and impose things on others.

We need fewer control freaks and more people who subscribe to the live and let live principal
Ha, ain't that the truth! You should read the reports of the FAA's SUAS (Small Unmanned Aerial Systems - i.e., UAV's less than 10 lbs or so) Aviation Rule-making Committee over here in the US. Apparently, *nobody* who has any influence on that committee has any *actual* experience operating the damn things - but they are the ones drafting the rules as to how they will be operated... As real cluster F$#@ as I understand it... Meanwhile we go on having to have a 2nd class Airman's Medical Certificate, a Private Pilot's license, and a Certificate of Authorization from the FAA (a 6-month process *if* you are a government agency or public institution - otherwise forget it) just to fly a 4 lb electric glider with an autopilot...

Thrust me, we want to keep the FAA as far away from model airplanes as we can, and if a 200 MPH wink, wink kind of speed limit and some reasonable weight limits help do that, then I'm all for them!

Bob
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Actually there IS at least one easy way to enforce the limit, and the AMA came uncomfortably close to adopting it under Dave Brown's direction some years ago - making speed limiters madatory on all turbine powered models. (Maybe some of you guys just are too new to turbines to remember that, or have short memories.)

If anything like that were to happen in future, then there's absolutely no point in all of you guys suddenly speaking up and saying "If speed limiters are to be required, then the limit should be raised" – because by then your credibility with the AMA is totally shot as you basically confirm to the AMA that many within our group have just been ignoring the rule(s) thusfar.

Furthermore, why is it OK to keep increasing weight, and thrust limits etc., and not think "Uh-oh, the Fed's or 'other' such authorities might get interested if we put it on paper that we now have more massive models capable of carrying a much larger payload of, uh, 'stuff' around the skies", and only hypocritically apply such thinking to speed ?

Gordon
The Europeans seem to enjoy larger and heavier jets. Although, isn't there stricter rules over there as it relates to "air worthiness" certificates, ie the big Airbus, that they must have to fly? Overall, I think the current rules we have are pretty resonable. Speed limiters can be tampered with btw... The only way to certify speeds would be to install GPS systems with recorders matching ECU data on all flights. I would hate to see it come to that.

Regarding the rudder issue, you do need a rudder to properly land a jet in a cross wind.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Hey...I have a great idea! So no one steps in and drops some draconian types of regulation upon us...how about just follow the current ones in place?

I know it sounds crazy...but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak. When the day arrives in the future and God forbid we have some kind of spectacular crash, with the prerequisite "burning hair, teeth and eyeballs" from some spectators or pilots...the hammer is going to come down on us so hard we are not going to know what hit us.

When you hear about someone putting a P-160 into a Tam F-16...someone putting a 50 pound engine into a Lightning or a Ultra Bandit...you get the idea...it's foolhardy.

We all know 200 MPH is the limit...so when at a meet when we see some guys doing 300 MPH passes...how come no one steps up and tells them to slow it down? Back in the IMAC days...it was called the "Halo Factor"...where the "famous, team pilots" were held to a different standard than the other "common folk".

Now is the time to "self police" ourselves before we make some not too flattering headlines and have some rules and regulations stuffed up our backsides that no one ever wanted.

Just thinking out loud...

Beave

Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Hey...I have a great idea! So no one steps in and drops some draconian types of regulation upon us...how about just follow the current ones in place?

I know it sounds crazy...but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak. When the day arrives in the future and God forbid we have some kind of spectacular crash, with the prerequisite "burning hair, teeth and eyeballs" from some spectators or pilots...the hammer is going to come down on us so hard we are not going to know what hit us.

When you hear about someone putting a P-160 into a Tam F-16...someone putting a 50 pound engine into a Lightning or a Ultra Bandit...you get the idea...it's foolhardy.

We all know 200 MPH is the limit...so when at a meet when we see some guys doing 300 MPH passes...how come no one steps up and tells them to slow it down? Back in the IMAC days...it was called the "Halo Factor"...where the "famous, team pilots" were held to a different standard than the other "common folk".

Now is the time to "self police" ourselves before we make some not too flattering headlines and have some rules and regulations stuffed up our backsides that no one ever wanted.

Beave

Very good advice.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Beave

Yes, good advice. Unfortunately, I made a comment at one event last year to a club member about the speed limit and received a letter from that club letting me know that I was not being invited back for their event this year. It seems my demeanor was not acceptable which was not even explained in the letter. Danged if you do and danged if you don't.

Roy
Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Beave,

Amen to that! We need to keep ourselves out of the spotlight. There's a bureaucrat somewhere just waiting to show up and declare "I'm from the government and I'm here to help.[>:]

Regards, Bill