Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No more ACT Fuzzy Pro SMM2 Gyros!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No more ACT Fuzzy Pro SMM2 Gyros!!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 AM
SpiderJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No more ACT Fuzzy Pro SMM2 Gyros!!

Jetlag is OK, I get used to flying up and down to Hong Kong for a new receiver or two...
I took a day off today to clean the BBQ before you arrive.

PS. Are you SURE you want to have massage in Belgium ??? [:'(] This must be the worst spot on the planet for that !!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

Hi Guillermo:

The way the ACT Fuzzy Gyro is hooked up on my taileron SJ-16 is the 10X is put into the elevon mode.....the left taileron servo is connected to one gyro input and then into the aileron channel on the RX....the right taileron servo is connected to the other gyro input and into the elevator port on the RX.....

Then you orient the gyro for proper sensing of the axis you want to control, i.e. flat, pointing forward for roll sensing or flat, pointed toward one or the other wingtip for pitch sensing, or on it's side, pointing to a wingtip for yaw sensing. You can only control one axis at a time with this gyro. I use it for roll (aileron) damping, and it is on both gear up and gear down, although I do have to back off the sensitivity a bit for high speed flight vs landing speeds.

I also have a JR gyro on the rudder/NG which is mixed to the gear switch and runs about 45% sensitivity gear down and 20% sensitivity gear up to get rid of any dutch roll tendencies during landing and tail wags during cruise.

End result is a very stable platform. I intend to use one on my FB Mig-21 when it arrives. Sorry I waited too long to order a two channel unit from Chad....those looked very nice..

Regards....Tom

ORIGINAL: SpiderJets

- The WINGO had to change name as it was a registered trade mark in Germany, that's why ACT changed the name into "Fuzzy Logic Pro"

- As for the Guillermo problem : I would put the ACT gyro PERMANENTLY on your taileron servos. In normal flight, put the sensitivity low (approx 10%) // in case you use flaps, switch the sensitivity higher (approx 40%).
(Always work with small incremental adjustments flight after flight) from 0% sensitivity upwards, and not from 100% down...). Remember also that having different deflection of flaps at low speed will cause a plane to stall and spin in the WRONG direction : For example : suppose you need a correction to the LEFT (manually or by the gyro) and you correct this with flaps, then you will lower your right flap (or higher the left one). This means at already high alpha, the right wing catches more air and will stall and turn the plane to the RIGHT, causing a RIGHT flat spin although you corrected to the LEFT. This was a popular manoeuvre with the good old Avonds' Rafale !

- Tom, good to hear your SJ-16 is still going strong, I miss mine ! The SJ-16 has a totally superior airfoil (RG-14 with some undercamber at the wing root, plus 3° tip washout without undercamber) than all other F-16's on the market and still excels in high alphas. You could fly soooo slow without any tip stalling that a gyro was needed.

- Jim, are you sure you left the gyro enough time to calibrate first ?
(if you want an ACT, I still have a spare one NIB, and Christos is coming to see me on Friday...)

Nicolas.
Hi Nicolas and Tom:

Thanks for your input.

I think I was not so clear with my set up:

First of all, my transmitter set up (Futaba 12FGA FASST) is for two ailerons servos and two elevators servos, not for tailerons.

I have two flight conditions: 1- In flight: Normal set up: two ailerons servos, two elevator servos. Ailerons works as ailerons and elevators works as elevators (not linked to ailerons as the tailerons (elevons) set up).

2- Take Off/Landing: This condition is activated with the flap slider: Flaps down (the flaps are the same ailerons - flapperons), to any angle to a max. of 20°. This condition mix ailerons with elevators (ailevators). That is that elevators help ailerons when extended down as flapperons, to bank the jet, because with flapperons down, banking the jet is very difficult.

In this set up, should I connect one gyro input to lets say left aileron servo and this gyro channel to left aileron in the receiver and the other gyro input to the right elevator servo and gyro channel to right elevator in the receiver?

How would this set up work in flight condition No. 1 (in flight)?

Guillermo
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
SpiderJets

Hi Guillermo,

Sorry I was not clear enough :
connect the gyro on the two rear servos (= taileron servos). Left servo to the left input/output and right servo to the right input/output.

In condition #1 : you will have your elevators correcting the roll action too. However, I would keep the sensitivity VERY low here, because your aileron steering will not be "seen" by the gyro and the gyro will "think" it is an external factor which tries to roll your plane and will try continuously to correct your own aileron steering. Therefore, in this condition #1, I would definitely play it safe and set the ATV of the gyro sensitivity channel in both sides to 0% !!!
If you really want to push the limits of the technology, and after that you are very familiar with your jet, you could of course put a programmable mixer which fades out the sensitivity when you touch the aileron stick to the left or right.... but frankly speaking, I know out of experience that such complexity takes away the fun of having a gyro !!!

In condition #2 : here it is were the gyro is needed, and here you can start with some 20% sensitivity and use a slider on your TX to proportionally open the sensitivity so you can feel what the maximum is before it starts to wobble (=hunting) or bringing your controls rather problematic (= stallinng because of too much corrective deflection). Your corrections will only be on the taileron servos and not on the wings.
As I said earlier, it is not good to have two flaps which are not deployed exactly equally, and will cause a loss of plane control at low speed.

Two tips :
1. use very good and fast servos (such like the Futaba BLS451 or Futaba S9450). The more precise and fast these are, the better your gyro action will function.
2. try to avoid the Heading Hold/AVCS mode. The 'normal' mode will be more than whatever you will want from a gyro. AVCS mode is very dangerous during take-off and landing, and discouraged in a gyro manual. Since you want to use your gyro particularly in these situations, I would definitely program my TX that I can never make a mistake and enter the wrong gyro mode ! That's why I always put the ATV of my gyro sensitivity in all conditions to 0% at the AVCS side.

Nicolas.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Moerig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

On my last order, I ordered 10 more Fuzzy Pro SMM2 gyros. I was contacted by the owner and told he could only send me three!! He said the external SMM sensor was made by a German Defense company who was no longer allowed to supply the sensor to ACT. They are working on a new sensor supplier, but it will be a few months out, at least.

I only have two of these gyros left, and I do not know what the supply is of other international dealers.

Just an FYI.

Chad
Wrong,
The sensor is made in Japan, and distributed in the UK by BAE Silicon sensing systems. The same sensor is also used in the JR Gyros...

http://www.siliconsensing.com/
http://www.sssj.co.jp/en/
http://www.sssj.co.jp/en/products/gy...ts/index2.html
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

Yes, would be interested in your one. What model is it? PM me with the details & price.
Latest version, Fuzzy Pro V3.
This is the version I will be bringing in now. It uses a piezo sensor, but I have heard good things. We'll see...

Chad
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Moerig

Wrong,
The sensor is made in Japan, and distributed in the UK by BAE Silicon sensing systems. The same sensor is also used in the JR Gyros...

Just passing on what I was told. All I know for sure is, I can't get them anymore.

Chad
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Moerig

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Moerig

Wrong,

Just passing on what I was told. All I know for sure is, I can't get them anymore.

Chad
These ssm sensors are expensive so switching to a cheaper piezo sensor is probably the real story behind the "unavailability". Some new piezo sensors, notably from Analog devices are quite good for model purposes. The advent of vehicle stability systems make them cheap, cheerful and plentifull...
In the end the software is what matters.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
SinCityJets

I don't think it would just be to switch to piezo sensors, only because they have always had a piezo gyro available for less money. And you're right, I have heard very good things about it's quality. They must have good software!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
SpiderJets

The owner, Klaus W., is a very dedicated modeler too. And that's what we need in RC, people who make nice things because they are totally passionated by the hobby.
With the Futaba GYA350-351-352, I had the feeling this was made by engineers, with the ACT I had the feeling this was made by someone who was flying himself and understood the "natural feel" it should leave for the pilots in the first place.
Come to JetPower2009, you'll meet them all !
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guillermo,

connect the gyro on the two rear servos (= taileron servos). Left servo to the left input/output and right servo to the right input/output.

In condition #1 : you will have your elevators correcting the roll action too. However, I would keep the sensitivity VERY low here, because your aileron steering will not be "seen" by the gyro and the gyro will "think" it is an external factor which tries to roll your plane and will try continuously to correct your own aileron steering. Therefore, in this condition #1, I would definitely play it safe and set the ATV of the gyro sensitivity channel in both sides to 0% !!!
If you really want to push the limits of the technology, and after that you are very familiar with your jet, you could of course put a programmable mixer which fades out the sensitivity when you touch the aileron stick to the left or right.... but frankly speaking, I know out of experience that such complexity takes away the fun of having a gyro !!!

In condition #2 : here it is were the gyro is needed, and here you can start with some 20% sensitivity and use a slider on your TX to proportionally open the sensitivity so you can feel what the maximum is before it starts to wobble (=hunting) or bringing your controls rather problematic (= stallinng because of too much corrective deflection). Your corrections will only be on the taileron servos and not on the wings.
As I said earlier, it is not good to have two flaps which are not deployed exactly equally, and will cause a loss of plane control at low speed.

Two tips :
1. use very good and fast servos (such like the Futaba BLS451 or Futaba S9450). The more precise and fast these are, the better your gyro action will function.
2. try to avoid the Heading Hold/AVCS mode. The 'normal' mode will be more than whatever you will want from a gyro. AVCS mode is very dangerous during take-off and landing, and discouraged in a gyro manual. Since you want to use your gyro particularly in these situations, I would definitely program my TX that I can never make a mistake and enter the wrong gyro mode ! That's why I always put the ATV of my gyro sensitivity in all conditions to 0% at the AVCS side.

Nicolas.

Thanks Nicolas for your advices.

I will test your suggested set up. If I am not sure, I would let the gyro in ailerons, and just increase sensitivity in condition # 2.

Guillermo
Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
SpiderJets

You're welcome !
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
c_makhija

Hi Guillermo,

Two tips :

Nicolas.

Hello Nicolas,

I have my ACT gyro setup as you have mentioned in condition #2. With the slider on my Tx i control the gain of the gyro. As i increase the gain, the airplane becomes rock steady on the roll, but the roll rate keeps on decreasing to a point where i can hardly roll the plane.
In this situation am i suppose to increase the throw on the ailerons with the gyro active.

Best regards
Chaitanya.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
SpiderJets

That's very exceptional.
Anyway, the solution is not to increase the aileron deflection, but to set a programmable mixer : AIL > GYRO with a curve that reduces the sensitivity immediately and almost completely (on both left stick and right stick) whenever you touch the aileron stick. If you can see a curve setting on your TX (depends on how sophisticated your TX is), the curve must be a triangle, with the top indicating the max gyro sensitivity on 0% ailerons (= i.e. in the middle) and 0% sensitivity (and NOT -100% !!!, because then you enter the other gyro mode, which is a very unwanted situation) when full left and right aileron.
This is assisting the built-in software to reduce the sensitivity proportionally.
On some of my planes, the triangle is very steep, and the 0% gyro gain is already reached when my stick is only slightly touched. This assures me of full control in any roll movement, and the gyro takes over the controls when I don't steer on ailerons.
But if you set the mixer so violently fading the gyro away, you must keep in mind that TRIMMING your ailerons will affect your gyro sensitivity too, until you reboot the RX+gyro again. During rebooting, the gyro assumes that original neutral (trimmed) signal as your "zero" point.
Therefore, only set such a steep curve when your plane is already trimmed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 AM
cairoman

That's very exceptional.
Anyway, the solution is not to increase the aileron deflection, but to set a programmable mixer : AIL > GYRO with a curve that reduces the sensitivity immediately and almost completely (on both left stick and right stick) whenever you touch the aileron stick. If you can see a curve setting on your TX (depends on how sophisticated your TX is), the curve must be a triangle, with the top indicating the max gyro sensitivity on 0% ailerons (= i.e. in the middle) and 0% sensitivity (and NOT -100% !!!, because then you enter the other gyro mode, which is a very unwanted situation) when full left and right aileron.
This is assisting the built-in software to reduce the sensitivity proportionally.
On some of my planes, the triangle is very steep, and the 0% gyro gain is already reached when my stick is only slightly touched. This assures me of full control in any roll movement, and the gyro takes over the controls when I don't steer on ailerons.
But if you set the mixer so violently fading the gyro away, you must keep in mind that TRIMMING your ailerons will affect your gyro sensitivity too, until you reboot the RX+gyro again. During rebooting, the gyro assumes that original neutral (trimmed) signal as your "zero" point.
Therefore, only set such a steep curve when your plane is already trimmed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas.
Geez, you're up already!!!

I have just put the Mz14 in my briefcase!!!!

Chris
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
c_makhija

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks, will try the curve out when i get some time. The manual says to turn the stick fade out anticlockwise and that should help. Have you tried moving the fadeout knob, or do you leave it at the factory set 12 O clock position. I spoke with the owner of ACT at their stall at jetpower and he told me just try swapping the jr connector from output 1 to output 2 and vice versa and that should help.

Best regards
Chaitanya.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
SinCityJets

After filling about 2 dozen back-orders, I have some units left for sale. ACT has released a new Jet Version of their best performing gyro.

The best dual servo (single axis) gyro is once again available.

Chad
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Rush!

How does it compare to the GYA351 and 352 gyros from Futaba? 

Rob

Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
SinCityJets

Rob,

Other manufacturers make some great gyros, and I definitely don't want this to turn into a brand war, however, the ACT gyros use a SMM sensor that eliminates temperature drift and provides a more accurate sensing system. These gyros have long been the secret of "flying on rails" performance at the world jet power meets and other jet competitions. The counter-point to the benefit is, they are damned expensive.

If rock-solid performance and accuracy in all temperature conditions is what you need, and you don't mind paying the German technology tax, the ACT Fuzzy Pro SMM Jet if for you.

Chad
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Rush!

Thanks Chad...  its a little steep though.  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
SinCityJets

No Rush, it's not a little steep....it's a LOT steep! But man, they are butter! (work really great)

Take care!

Chad