Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

feds considering banning turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

feds considering banning turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: feds considering banning turbines?

Great pic of the Gremelin

That would make a great pilot lol.

Bryce nice pics, you going to Jets over Kentucky?

I will be there with D. Murray
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: General Jake

I Engineer and fly UAV's for Lockheed Martin, and we've been grounded since Jan do to the new FAA rules. The rules state that Industry shall register all UAV's (From 6 oz to 6000 lbs) with the FAA.

Welcome to the New world Order, needless to say, we are not progressing with new technology.

Bryce,
hey bud!
Chris
Hey Chris, nice to hear from you. Hopefully, you guys will be up and flying again soon.

Best Wishes,

Bryce
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1
Gumby and the Gremelin!!!

Sup D-Fresh

Don't be tryna bomb that gremlin on Gums, he flies solo bro! I guess he does have Pokey, but I won't go there.....cause that's, well.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95841.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1199115  
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: Nightwalker

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1
Gumby and the Gremelin!!!

Sup D-Fresh

Don't be tryna bomb that gremlin on Gums, he flies solo bro! I guess he does have Pokey, but I won't go there.....cause that's, well.........

Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: Aero65

Great pic of the Gremelin

That would make a great pilot lol.

Bryce nice pics, you going to Jets over Kentucky?

I will be there with D. Murray

Hey Duke, I'm not sure yet, as I don't have my schedule set yet, a whole week of flying definitely sounds great. Would be nice to catch up with you and chat for a bit, it's been a few years. If I can make it, then I'll try, regardless, we're all looking forward to great coverage from that show online here. If i'm not there this year, then I'll definitely be back eventually, great memories, folks and place to fly.

B
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Aero65

Hi Rack

Thank you for pointing that out, I was stating generally and it was not targeted at you.

Im tired that we are the whipping boy of model aviation many times, and I believe our safety record is very good. But perceptions are perceptions and those are hard to change. I just know that there are many people who enjoy watching the Jets and Warbirds fly but there are those who just as vocal that we are potentially dangerous. Well so is getting out of bed

I saw some of the birds on your profile, very nice airplanes! Do you fly anywhere near the Fox Valley club in St. Charles? Im not too familiar with IL outside of the Chicago area. I'm visiting this summer great field, and club.

I know that we are "high profile" I would disagree with the highest liability somewhat, dead after all is dead. The .40 size trainer has killed many more people than turbine jets after all. Just numbers, many more .40 size trainers around. But due to us having a "Jet, that burns kero" we are perceived as a more dangerous. While unfortunately the perception is there, im sure insurance claims, and incidents will show that we are not nearly the liability that we are perceived as
by liability i meant your average investment, i fly at saint Charles a couple times a year its one of the nicest flying fields in the state.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke, I read this article carefully and in it's entire length. I do understand the intentions of this "assembly" of wise people. The FAA has a responsibility, but this responsibility ends where our hobby begins.

Yes, all my aircraft's top speed are more then 100mph, but this is not the only reason why I'm pretty upset. It is the shameless abuse of power to put these unfounded rules in place.

Most of us modelers and RC enthusiasts are pretty responsible and have common sense. If there is ONE accident where a RC Model brought a aircraft down - I like to hear it. This would be all over the (panic) press and we would that see in the following issue of the AMA magazine.

I can't see ANY reason for these restrictions, these will be then federal laws. If you fly a jet, you commit a federal crime. If you fly a model which is capable of more then 100mph you get busted for violation of FAA (federal) rules. High fines and a nice mark in your jacket.

The AMA had some good guidelines and rules this worked for the last 20 - 30 years. Accidents are rare and they are within the community. We stay away from Airports and when we have full scale cross traffic, the models are kept low.

I see there is not much response to these proposals. Mostly funny, not realizing the seriousness of that. Ya Ya they don't do that - that's what the bikers thought too, now the there is a law from 2010 on you can only ONE custom bike register in your lifetime.

You would think forums like the RCU could make a difference - but look in my post history, I posted that proposal in the Warbird Warplane forum and snip snip...

Slowly but surly the land of the free is not so free anymore.

I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end of the remote controlled aircraft - I would never thought this would happened in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. United we stand on the flight line and watch birds - tell our children (my grand children) there was upon a time when man had remote controlled machines - just for fun and not only for war and observation.

Hey, don't get me wrong here I'm a optimist - I hope I'm wrong but this is what I see...............
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and now I go back to the build of my P-38, it will be more then 55 pounds and she will fly faster then 100mph and she will drop tanks and she will look realistic in the air, she will be louder then 96db -

yeah looks like in the future I'm a criminal, 48 years without one mark - did my tours and now...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

G-Pete,

Can you seriously not read? The proposal for the rules are in the section that applies to models NOT operated under the AMA umbrella. The proposal specifically states that when operated under the AMA code, those regulations do not apply. What is unclear about that?

As far as the bike law, it seems as if that is a one-time exception to EPA regulations for emission standards an anyone is free to use an EPA certified engine manufacturer for as many custom bikes as they could ever want. Not exactly the same thing...

Bob
Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: Nightwalker

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1 Gumby and the Gremelin!!!
Sup D-Fresh Don't be tryna bomb that gremlin on Gums, he flies solo bro! I guess he does have Pokey, but I won't go there.....cause that's, well.........
Some folks just wanna act like.......

Name:	Ki19631.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1199209  
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Saw that one coming DF...........

Name:	Zx71933.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1199216  
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

FT..Fs

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay the subject has been beaten to death and the name calling still continues, so we shall shut this one down. Dave