Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ever Wondered what the Inside of a FlyEagleJets F-18 Wing looks like?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ever Wondered what the Inside of a FlyEagleJets F-18 Wing looks like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:26 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ever Wondered what the Inside of a FlyEagleJets F-18 Wing looks like?

I pealed off the bottom skin on one of my wings that survived the crash from the pipe failure and this is what I found.

- no carbon fiber - anwhere - they simply used fiberglass clothto reinforce some of the areas and balsa sheeting

- The only plywood in the whole wing is ribs 1,2,3,4 the trailing edge and the edge that goes flush to the fuse. There are also a few plywood endcaps on the area were the carbon fiber tube goes, but there is balsa in between those areas. Ribs 5 and 6 are made of balsa and don't even connect to the leading edge.

- The spars are made out of soft balsa and are all cut nearly in half and have of them are not married or glued at the connecton. The only glue securing them is the upper and lower skin.

If someone wants a closeup of a particular area please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59428.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1206385  
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ever Wondered what the Inside of a Fly Eagle Jets F-18 Wing looks like?

Looks pretty standard to me.  A very light strong setup in my opinion.  I have always wanted to make a wing using those construction methods for the Megabar, I've been using foam sheeted, but the method like this, and like the original Bobcat xl are very light and strong.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Ever Wondered what the Inside of a Fly Eagle Jets F-18 Wing looks like?

Wow that really looks like crap Andy!

However I must go by the ruling "Perfect is the Enemy of Good Enough". [8D]

Although your wings seem to be on the borderline og "good enough".

Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you really expect to pay soo cheap and receive such high quality?
Dont pay $3000 and expect a $6000 airplane.
Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
jetpilot

I think its been widely accepted that the end user is doing R&D for FEJ.
Scott

Let the axe grinding continue!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks like pretty standard Chinese ARF construction to me, here's another thread with another delaminated wing
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8238664
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
AndyAndrews

In a word. Yes. Any other questions? I have a Skymaster F4 they use ply spares and the wing is internally sheeted with heavy carbon fiber. This big jetshave very heavy wing loading.

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Do you really expect to pay soo cheap and receive such high quality?
Dont pay $3000 and expect a $6000 airplane.
Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
jetpilot

Why are you referencing Skymaster? You cant compare FEJ to Skymaster.Skymaster kits are the $6000 kits i was talking about.
FEJ are way cheaper!! Like half!!
I didnt think anyone was buying FEJ expecting Skymaster.
Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just rub some grass on it. Works just like Tussin.

BTW. Didi this wing delam itself (fail)? Or, were you just curious to see what was on the inside?
It seems that the pipe was the demise of the AC, not the wing.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Looks pretty standard to me. A very light strong setup in my opinion. I have always wanted to make a wing using those construction methods for the Megabar, I've been using foam sheeted, but the method like this, and like the original Bobcat xl are very light and strong.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input id="jsProxy" type="hidden" onclick="jsCall();" />
that looks like crap. BTW the Bobcat was built with spruce spars, capped with .014 carbon and had vertical shear webbing the entire span. quite a bit different.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
AndyAndrews

Just passing info...

Is it standard contruction features to not have a leading edge spar (just glue) and have the ribs not come in contact with the leading edge? I really don't know because I have never built a jet wing. I have built other wing types though through the years.

Name:	Hf98154.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1206424  
Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
AndyAndrews

Just curious. Kind of shocked that I didn't see any carbon fiber since this is such a big bird with big wing loading.

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Just rub some grass on it. Works just like Tussin.

BTW. Didi this wing delam itself (fail)? Or, were you just curious to see what was on the inside?
It seems that the pipe was the demise of the AC, not the wing.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM
AndyAndrews

Dude,

Were are you buying your Skymaster kits from??? The same exact jet goes for $2,095.00 right off their own web site. $6000?? your joking right?

Why are you referencing Skymaster? You cant compare FEJ to Skymaster.Skymaster kits are the $6000 kits i was talking about.
Scott

Name:	Jh16321.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1206432  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There wasn't any carbon fiber in the spruce goose either.  Carbon Fiber is often associated with strength, but there are other ways to gain strength as well.  Most applications of Carbon FIber I have seen, are  not even using carbon fiber in the most efficient way.  Sometimes it's just put there in hopes that it's adding strength.  I have spent some time reviewing different applications of carbon fiber, carbon tow, and bias laying of glass.  I'm no expert, but just because it's not there, doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Kirk, I didn't mean to say this wing was as strong as a Bobcat, simply that built up wings are often very sound wings.  Several examples of wings delaminating in flight exist in this forum, but I don't think that any of them are FEJ, which means at least FEJ isn't known for this phenomena.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Andy
not when you add up all the parts and pieces amigo. gear, tanks, hardware, kit, cockpit, etc. it adds up to around 6k.

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Dude,

Were are you buying your Skymaster kits from??? The same exact jet goes for $2,095.00 right off their own web site. $6000?? your joking right?

Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Does look like hell.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
AndyAndrews

Yes but carbon fiber applied in the correct way is significantly stronger. The Spruce Goose? lol., not even a jet. I'm not sure that carbon fiber existed in those days. The strength in the FEJ wing is definitely in the skin. If that fails in any way the wing will fail.

ORIGINAL: seanreit

There wasn't any carbon fiber in the spruce goose either. Carbon Fiber is often associated with strength, but there are other ways to gain strength as well. Most applications of Carbon FIber I have seen, are not even using carbon fiber in the most efficient way. Sometimes it's just put there in hopes that it's adding strength. I have spent some time reviewing different applications of carbon fiber, carbon tow, and bias laying of glass. I'm no expert, but just because it's not there, doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Kirk, I didn't mean to say this wing was as strong as a Bobcat, simply that built up wings are often very sound wings. Several examples of wings delaminating in flight exist in this forum, but I don't think that any of them are FEJ, which means at least FEJ isn't known for this phenomena.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input id="jsProxy" type="hidden" onclick="jsCall();" />
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I remember reading in these forums about a Skymaster wing delaminating, a BVM Super Bandit wing spar failing (Adil's I believe) and numerous other failures that were manufacture issues, I don't think any of those airplanes were replaced by the manufacture, discounted yes, but I don't think anyone got a free airplane. 
All I'm saying is, these companies (not just jet manufactures, but all of them) cover their butt's with disclaimers, and point fingers whenever they can.  I've had the same experience from Great Planes, a company that size you'd think they'd give a crap, but they don't. 
It's a shame, but you get what you pay for I guess, Skymaster has come a long ways but they had multiple problems when they first came on the scene too.  However, I don't think FEJ's is handling things the way they should be......
Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM
AndyAndrews

Nope - still doesnt add up to 6K:

F18 - 2095
gear - 695
tank - 125
speed brakes - 45
doors and cylinders - 135
Pipe - 250
Hardware Kit - 69
Cockpit - 395

total cost $3,809.00

add the Pro-addition and you get the gear doors and gear installed for an Extra $195.00

Usually you can get them to discount the kits to so it would be a little less. Still a far cry below 6K!

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Andy
not when you add up all the parts and pieces amigo. gear, tanks, hardware, kit, cockpit, etc. it adds up to around 6k.

Dude,

Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM
jetpilot

Dude,

Scott
Why didnt you just buy the Skymaster if its only $2095.? The FEJ is $2450.00
Oh wait $2450 is go fly from FEJ and $2095 is just the airframe from Skymaster!! Do the math man, the FEJ is waaaaaay cheaper! Come on man, you seriously expected a Skymaster kit for $2450? The company only been around for about a year, and you thought your 2 grand was going to get you a skymaster quality airplane? Everyone knows they're rollin the dice on a new company, thats why the stuff is soo cheap. You rolled the dice and crapped out!
Time to man up and move on. Crying about the crap all over the internet aint bringing it back.
Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
jetpilot

You forgot the hardware, valves,bypass and additional shipping expense. Another $400 on top
Scott

Now theres an addendum on the front page of FEJ about wet starts.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Ever Wondered what the Inside of a FlyEagleJets F-18 Wing looks like?

If you read my posts on the FEJ F-15 (1/9 scale), you will see that I've had numerous problems with cracking in the wings of my FEJ F-15. The ribs are very soft balsa and any attempt at lifting the plane by the wings results in them breaking - and I've started to get cracks in the skin itself. In fact, you have to be careful just grabbing the wings out of the bag to put them on the plane. Grabbing them with enough force to just pick them up is often sufficient to crack the internal structure and/or skin.

So far they have held up to flight loads, but they are not even up to the standards of the JL F-15 that I flew previously...

BTW, the FEJ F-15 is $1250 complete, the JL one is $1250 + $550 for the gear. The "Pro" version of the JL is available from the Global Jet Club for $2250. If you add up all of the stuff I had to replace in the FEJ F-15, the JL one was actually cheaper and I think that the GJC "Pro" version is the best deal...

Bob
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
AndyAndrews

I never said that the Skymaster should be the same price as the FEJ. All I am saying is that it is NOT 6K. Ihave purchased two jets from Skymaster. Neither was even remotely close to costing 6K like you erroniously stated. You simply don't know what you are talking about. I know the Skymaster is more expensive. I never said or even implied that Skymaster should be the same price as FEJ. Where you got that I have no clue.

Dude,

Scott
Why didnt you just buy the Skymaster if its only $2095.? The FEJ is $2450.00
Oh wait $2450 is go fly from FEJ and $2095 is just the airframe from Skymaster!! Do the math man, the FEJ is waaaaaay cheaper! Come on man, you seriously expected a Skymaster kit for $2450? The company only been around for about a year, and you thought your 2 grand was going to get you a skymaster quality airplane? Everyone knows they're rollin the dice on a new company, thats why the stuff is soo cheap. You rolled the dice and crapped out!
Time to man up and move on. Crying about the crap all over the internet aint bringing it back.
Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever Wondered what the Inside of a FlyEagleJets F-18 Wing looks like?

waving the Off Topic banner here. Was that jet a Single or a Twin?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
AndyAndrews

Well, now you know what the inside looks like. The spars are a soft spungy balsa wood. The trailing edge spar appears to be light ply. There is no leading edge spar.

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

If you read my posts on the FEJ F-15 (1/9 scale), you will see that I've had numerous problems with cracking in the wings of my FEJ F-15. The ribs are very soft balsa and any attempt at lifting the plane by the wings results in them breaking - and I've started to get cracks in the skin itself. In fact, you have to be careful just grabbing the wings out of the bag to put them on the plane. Grabbing them with enough force to just pick them up is often sufficient to crack the internal structure and/or skin.

So far they have held up to flight loads, but they are not even up to the standards of the JL F-15 that I flew previously...

BTW, the FEJ F-15 is $1250 complete, the JL one is $1250 + $550 for the gear. The "Pro" version of the JL is available from the Global Jet Club for $2250. If you add up all of the stuff I had to replace in the FEJ F-15, the JL one was actually cheaper and I think that the GJC "Pro" version is the best deal...

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.