Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Picture Tutorial: Swapping out your 10X / 12X batteries

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Picture Tutorial: Swapping out your 10X / 12X batteries

Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture Tutorial: Swapping out your 10X / 12X batteries

Okay, since more and more people are just having me send the pre-welded packs to them for time's sake, I decided to put a little pictorial on how to switch out your own packs.So here goes:

Pics 1 and 2 show the outside of the case after being removed from the radio...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10163.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1206870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21885.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1206871  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
SinCityJets

Default RE: Picture Tutorial: Swapping out your 10X / 12X batteries

Pic 3 - After taking out the 4 screws and removing the black piece of tape (with the Japanese writing underneath), and removing the top cover, this is what you will see (except they won't be Eneloop cells)

Pic 4- After removing the batteries and the attached PC board, this is what your case looks like empty. Take note of the ridge at the bottom of the case..... You'll see why in a bit.

Pic 5 - Shows the batteries removed from the case

Pic 6 - Shows the outside of the circuit board. You won't really need anything from this side, just don't short anything!

Pic 7 - This shows the inside of the board. If you can't charge your battery pack through the charging jack, it's because that little green diode looking thing is blown. 2 choices, either replace it, or if you PROMISE to never reverse the polarity when charging, just put a solid pice of wire across there and forget the diode. WARNING: The world could come to an end if you do this....at the very least you may void the warranty on your battery pack and/or radio.

Pic 8 - This shows where the leads attach to the battery. You will need to de-solder these leads from your old battery pack. Be careful not to short the wires. If you short the wires, you will blow the diode and you will have to read "Pic 7" again.

After de-soldering the old batteries, simply solder the new batteries to the same wires. Red to positive, brown to negative. If you bought the packs from me, they have long soldering tabs and may have shrink wrap around them. You will need to cut the soldering tabs down VERY short, and remove the heat shrink. The case is VERY tight and that ridge in the bottom of the case will not allow the heat shrink to stay on the battery. It will prevent the battery from seating all the way. You may also have hot-glue on the pack, just remove the glue from the two batteries on either side of the ridge at the bottom of the pack.

Name:	Us55393.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1206872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71637.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1206873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33400.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1206874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22663.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1206875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65649.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1206876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn87765.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1206877  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 AM
SinCityJets

Reinserting the pack....this is the fun part. I will tell you the easiest way I have found:

Insert the circuit board in to it's pre-designated slot JUSTSLIGHTLY. Then, as seen in Pic 9, start putting the battery pack in just above it. In other words, the circuit board will be a couple ofmillimeterslower than the battery pack. Then slowly lower them both down. When you think they have both reached the bottom, gently tug the battery pack away from the circuit board and push it down a little further.

When it looks like Pic 10, you're in there right.

When you put the top case back on, you will know whether or not you have the battery seated correctly. The Eneloops are just a bit bigger dimensionally, and it seems the fit is tighter in a 10X case, than it is in a 12X case.It will fit in both. You MAY see a tiny gap between the top and the case, but this is normal and should only be minimal. If you have a 1mm gap or more, it is not right. I use a pice of tape along the bottom of the case first, before putting the screws back in. As shown in Pic 11, one of my labels does the trick nicely. Since this is just a friction fit area with no screws, the tape ensures this will not pop open.

Reinsert the 4 screws and Voila! When it looks like Pic 12, you have been Pimpdafied!!

Name:	Vs55934.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1206880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16059.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1206881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15800.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1206882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38949.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1206883  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 AM
SinCityJets

If you are having any problems, and you got the pack from me, box it up and send it to me.  If you have any other questions, let me know.

Chad
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Great tutorial. thanks.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Chad. Just in time for the pack I ordered yesterday.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
SinCityJets

Hopefully it helps!

Chad
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Chad, Did you keep the factorytemp sensor in thethe pack ie between 4.8 and 4.8 ,the little wafer thing or did you just omit? Thanks Wayne
Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
SinCityJets

Wayne,

I did not re-use it.  Given the quality of the stock cells, I could potentially see a need for such an item, but I have never seen one on any other Nimh pack before.  personally, I don't see a need for it in the new Eneloop packs. (a user could always add it in if they thought it was necessary.

Chad
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Chad:

I put both of your Eneloops into old 10X cases. A very tight fit indeed, as was getting the native 12X pack into it's case after I took it out to remove the temp sensor.

The side opposite the screws, with the two plastic tongues and slots kept popping open. My solution was to tape that side shut after I got the circuit board and packs properly seated with Scotch Brand Gloss Finish MultiTask Tape that you can buy almost anywhere. Used longitudinally across the joint of the cassette, it has essentially zero stretch.

Finally I close the pack down with the screws.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

My solution was to tape that side shut after I got the circuit board and packs properly seated with Scotch Brand Gloss Finish MultiTask Tape that you can buy almost anywhere. Used longitudinally across the joint of the cassette, it has essentially zero stretch.

Finally I close the pack down with the screws.
Tom,

I'm sure your tape worked OK, but it doesn't work as good as my labels!Believe it or not, the 12X battery cases actually have a tiny bit more room and is not as tight.

Glad you got it in there OK.

Chad

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 PM
SinCityJets

Any feedback from anyone that has installed their own packs, please post it!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad,

Quick question - my pack came with a little shrink wrap over the joint between the two packs of four batteries. Can I keep this little bit on or does it have to come off to install?

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
SinCityJets

You'll have to cut the heat shrink.  Also, when you cut the tabs, leave them long enough to fold them back over where it is welded to the battery.  It allows the solder to stick easier since you don't have to heat the actual battery to heat the strap.  The problem with the shrink wrap is in will get hung up on that ridge in the bottom of the case.  Plus, you really don't need it.

Chad
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Got mine yesterday and in 15min mine was changed out for my 12X.

I just cut a slit in the heatshrink where the ridge in the case would match up and it fit perfectly.

Don
Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Chad,

Icould not install the pack. One of the sticks is a touch too tall and will not fit in the case with the board (or the board will not install into the grooves) installed.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but for the moment...Ihave given up.

Beave

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Any feedback from anyone that has installed their own packs, please post it!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
SinCityJets

Beave,

There is a tiny bit of technique to it.  If you can't get it, just send it on over and I'll take care of it.  You have to keep the amount of solder on the tabs to a minimum.  If you can't get it to fit with the wires on the bottom of the case, turn it around and try it with them on the top.  SOMETIMES, it can be a little easier.

Call me with any problems.

Chad
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
tmmugen

If you can't charge your battery pack through the charging jack, it's because that little green diode looking thing is blown. 2 choices, either replace it, or if you PROMISE to never reverse the polarity when charging, just put a solid pice of wire across there and forget the diode. WARNING: The world could come to an end if you do this....at the very least you may void the warranty on your battery pack and/or radio.

Hi Chad..Can i check with you: are you saying if the green diode turns brown colour it means I cannot charge thru the charging jack?

Is it safe to put a solid pice of wire across there and forget the diode??

Also, the 12X battery does comes with a piece of white stuff. Is that a themostat/ sensor? There is a “white” colour strip. I was told this is a thermostat? Anyone can confirm?[/B][/I]

Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
SinCityJets

TMMugen,

I answered the PM you sent me, but I'll answer it here too. The little diode does not change colors when it is blown. The only way you will know it is blown, is it won't charge through the jack anymore. As far as whether or not it is "safe", your radio will not be protected from being charged in reverse polarity. The white "stuff" is a thermal sensor. I do not install/reinstall it on the eneloop packs.

Chad
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The green thing you are referring to is not a diode. It is a 10amp fuse which can be bought at most electronic stores. It protects against reverse polatity if charger is hooked up wrong.
You are correct that the other thing is somekind of thermal resistor. When I replaced my battery pack with the Eneloop I did not use the thermal resistor.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
tmmugen

Any reason for not using it?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
bcovish

In my opinion, JR has been using this type of battery pack without the thermal resistor for years and no problems has been reported as far as I know so I chose not to use it. I think most people replacing the battery pack are not reinstalling them. BTW, the Enloop pack works great in the 12X.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM
tmmugen

Any idea what is the purpose for that?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
bcovish

Not sure why but as they are a thermal sensor I assume it has something to do with overheating of the pack. I'm no electronic s whiz so I have to depend on others for advice.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
tadawson

The thermal component? To reduce charge current if the pack overheats . . . .

And I believe that on the "green component" that both parties may be partially correct. My understanding is that JR built the packs for the US market with the picofuse in them, and for the rest of the world with a diode to prevent reverse polarity charging. So, what you have, I think, depends a bit on where you are located . . . and where you bought the radio . . .

- Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.