Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

NiCads

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

NiCads

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NiCads

Does anyone still use ni-cads ??? Been out of it for almost 2 years, and man..... everything has changed on battery applications. Lithium this Lithium that, and my god... the chargers !!!! Regulators and more..I guess I'm old school.. (not old), but what is theproblem with running nicads in turbines.. That's all I ever used. NowI'm back and building a new jet, but I'm not sure about diving into the newest stuff. ( probley cause Idon't know enough aboutit.).. I'm leaning tword nicad JR 6v 3000 mah X2 w/ dual switches.Plane has 2 8411's, 2 2721's,4 4131's andmisc. smallstuff for retracts, brakes etc.. Thats the battery set-up we hadin the 3Yellow F-18's we built and flew many times.. no problems ever. Still running 72 mhz also. I would like some input on this subject..

TIA,

Danno
Austin Gang
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NiCads

Hey Dan, I can school you on the new stuff at my place, but in the mean time, for your flying style and the airplane you are doing, Nicads is not going to be a problem AT ALL!

Glad to see you back on here buddy!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Dan,
I am in the middle of building a Bandit right now, and it will most likely get A123 type batteries. Having said that, my other 3-4 turbine models all have NiCds. NiCds have never let me down... Well, they did once, but Ifound the problem during charging before the flight.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NiCads have and will continue to serve us for many many years. But as we keep adding more demand to our systems the need for more power output was only a matter of time. I have only had one real bad problem with NiCads and as luck would have it that was in the pits during a charge cycle. However with 2.4 systems wanting more power and the larger more powerfull servoes we have available to us now the Nicad may be limited in the larger Jets, brown out being the main concern. Power to weight ratio is impressive.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to buy nicads at my LHS to replace my ECU pack & the range of cells was very limited. I ended up going for a 2 cell lipo despite the problems associated with them. I now have to make it easily removable for charging. This was less than half the weight for slightly smallercapacity.

Same with replacing my two flight batteries, not much choice. I settled for the new Eneloop Ni-Mi cells. Again a weight saving, not as much as with the lipo but I have gained a little capacity.

I would have been happy to re use nicads & the extra weight can be useful to balance a model but I suppose technology marcheson. - John.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Mace
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same as you, Iwas out of the hobby for a few years and came back in. Talk about culture shock...

I am slowly replacing batteries with A123's and have always liked the charactoristics of nicads.

If you have a good 72 mhz PCM radio, it will work fine. Some folks like to stick with them. Almost everyone Iknow has gone to 2.4 in some fashion or another. If Ihave a jet that is flying good on 72 then Iwon't switch. Why fix it if it isn't broke. 2.4 is very nice for not having to use a frequency pin anymore. It would be very nice if they could have done the same on 72 mhz so we could have the best of both worlds. Another good thing about 2.4 is the lack of a mile long antenna on both the tx and rx. I still keep my NiCads as spares for the ECU, just in case...

MACE
Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 AM
sandslx
My Feedback: (1)

IJust ordered another another 5 cell 2400MA Nicad pack from JR today. Ijust cant break free from my Nicads on my turbinejets. Iam slowly getting my feet wet with lipos on my electric jets and helis.

Justin Sands
BVM rep
Team JR/Horizon
Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Jet Doctor

Nicads rule!!!!!

Unfortunately the EU(European Union) has effectivelybanned Nicads! I also know that the UK has now put a ban on the import of Nicads.

I have had great service from nicads over the years and never was impressed by NiMH. Some chargers would false peak on them and their high self discharge rate.

Unfortunately we are going to have to get used to LiPo, LiIo, LiFe, Enerloop etc. I have a basic problem in having to insert regulators as this adds a new point of failure in a simple voltage supply. Fortunately though, it seems as if the radio equipment manufacturers are starting to make stuff thatfits the news voltages without regulators - i.e. High Voltage servos, etc.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately the EU(European Union) has effectivelybanned Nicads! I also know that the UK has now put a ban on the import of Nicads.
Why?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E U have been trying to ban nicads for years & have been partially successful. Nicads are no longer available in Cyprus.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2004/2004-04-21-01.asp

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Danno...A123 and 2.4, you might as well install them now rather than switch out later. What your saying is, gee, i wish i still had windows `95 in my computer...

V..
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Silent Lamb

Apparently Cadmium is poisonous. They are worried about them ending up in landfills,etc and poisoning future generations.

Quote from Wikipedia - "With the exception of its use in nickel-cadmium batteries, the use of cadmium is generally decreasing in all other applications. This decrease is due to the high toxicity and carcinogenicity of cadmium and the associated health and environmental concerns. Although cadmium is toxic, one enzyme, a carbonic anhydrase with a cadmium as reactive centre has been discovered."

Old 05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
>>-GERONIMO-->

I Do Have a Question?...
If the New Batteries are so Good , (And they "May Be" )
Then why?..
USAF, The "Space Shuttle" , Air to Air Missiles ,And full size Jets , Didn't Change?
and still use Ni Cads

If weight is the reazon ?, ...Most of the time ,we need the "Ballast"
Capacity ??, They got plenty ,
Plus I like to Charge betwen flights,and check Mah.used..
Seriously, why they don't use the "New" batteries.
Thanks
G.........

NICKEL-CADMIUM FOR LONG-LIFE PERFORMANCE AND VALUE

Nickel-cadmium batteries provide the ideal power solution to meet the rigorous demands of aircraft manufacturers, airlines, civil and military operators:

[*]Greater surges of power for trouble-free starts[*]Long-life and sustained performance[*]Unmatched reliability and safety under tough conditions[*]Lighter in weight, smaller in volume[*]Lower maintenance, operating costs and life cycle cost[*]"Maintenance free" or sealed valve regulated technology designed for specific battery charger control unit system[/list]

MAINTENANCE FOR LOWER OPERATING COSTS

In the competitive airline industry, maintenance is not just an added expense, but a strategic resource for winning customer loyalty and controlling costs.

Fliers care about an airline's safety record and on-time performance. Saft batteries are designed for the lowest maintenance requirements without compromising safety, reliability and operation cost.

Meeting the highest standards, Saft Aviation Batteries have two centers, in France (Bordeaux) and in USA (Valdosta, Georgia), manufacturing batteries to demanding ISO 9001 norms.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Vincent

Nice post Geronimo, you should get out to the field sometime and see what the jet guys are using for batts. Who cares about the space shuttle, even if they are using nicads like you say they are...

V..
Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 PM
>>-GERONIMO-->

Nice post Geronimo, you should get out to the field sometime and see what the jet guys are using for batts. Who cares about the space shuttle, even if they are using nicads like you say they are...

V..

Thanks Vinny ,
But There is No need to go to the field ,to find out what the good batteries are ,
I spoke to George Joy, theManufacturer of the "SiriusCharger" That you use , and Recomend ,
And George explain to me a lot about batteries

Now, About the "Space Shuttle " ,...theyare not using , The " windows 95" version of Batteries
G.................
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
SinCityJets

A123's are the best, most advanced, longest lasting, safest, fastest charging, most powerful batteries available today. <- (notice the period at the end)
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Vincent

George does not sell a 123 batt charger so which batteries do you think he will recommend?? duh...BTW i do like his sirius charger for my tx hybrid batts.

V..