Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel costs and options

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel costs and options

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:20 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel costs and options

Any one know the difference between K-1 and 28 second Kerosene and or Parrafin, the costs difference in the Uk is considerable.

Parrafin = £1.10/Lt
28s Kero= £0.33/Lt
K-1 Kero = ?

Iam unable to find a price for K-1 Kero at the moment, but you can see the difference is considerable, and I am burning a lot at the moment.

Mike

Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fuel costs and options

I dont know the diffence Mike but I'm using Jet A-1 @ 74p plus 5% vat.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks for that, but that still makes it twice the price of 28second Kerosene, and I have 3500Lts of it, so it would be nice to know if I can use it,Ihave already tried the manufacture of my turbine's, but none of them have tested 28second so will not comment on its use,28seconds is a measure of viscocity, but what about sulpher content etc: anyone?

Mike
Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
cyprusjets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike found these on the net , in my opinion if you are using a filter you will be fine, In Cyprus we have only one kind of kerosene to use and that's the one we use for the heating purposes probably the same as you call it in the UK 28sec. We do have the Jet A1 but that's very difficult to get only from the airport and i don't even know if they can sell us. Only difference we don't get it for that cheap as 33p/L. If i was at your position i would try it with an addition of a good quality turbine oil mix.

Kerosene (also known as Regular Burning Oil [RBO] or 28 Second Oil)
5.0 Background – Kerosenes are mixtures of liquid hydrocarbons, clear (but may
contain marker dyes) with a paraffinic odour. They are flammable with boiling ranges
between 150 – 300 oC and can give off flammable vapours above 38 o C.
Most refiners in the UK produce a ‘dual grade’ product for use as kerosene and
aviation turbine fuel (avtur) for jet aircraft. Although the manufacturing process is the
same the avtur is very carefully controlled throughout the distribution system to
ensure that any particular batch is fully traceable from production through to end use.
5.1 Smoke Point – The smoke point measures the maximum flame height (in
millimetres) at which kerosene will burn in a lamp under prescribed conditions
without producing smoke.
5.2 Char Value – The mass of carbon material formed on a wick after a specific
amount of kerosene has been burned in a special lamp under standard conditions

or you can have a look in here: http://www.rye-oil.ltd.uk/fuels.htm

Eftychios

Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Minch

Ispoke to my local fuel oil people when I was unable to get Jet A1 and this is what they told me.

28 Sec Kerosene is heating oil, difference between this and Jet A1 is that JET A1 has extra additives to stop corrosion and algae forming in fuel tanks. I was using Jet A1 but spilt some in the car and could never get rid of the smell (so got rid of the car). I then moved onto heating oil, this still has some odour but it doesn't linger. I have now started using paraffin for Homebase, they sell it for use in their paraffin patio heaters and this works a treat and has little of no odour.

I was getting Jet A1 @ 55p a litre (18 months ago), the 28 Sec Kero was about the same but the paraffin was £5.00 for 4litres last time I bought some (Dec 08). Personally i'd rather pay a little more and not have to change the car if I spill Jet A1 in it but I had no problems at all using heating oil, must have used over 100 litres of it through 3 Jetcats.

Regards
Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Minch

Ispoke to my local fuel oil people when I was unable to get Jet A1 and this is what they told me.

28 Sec Kerosene is heating oil, difference between this and Jet A1 is that JET A1 has extra additives to stop corrosion and algae forming in fuel tanks. I was using Jet A1 but spilt some in the car and could never get rid of the smell (so got rid of the car). I then moved onto heating oil, this still has some odour but it doesn't linger. I have now started using paraffin for Homebase, they sell it for use in their paraffin patio heaters and this works a treat and has little of no odour.

I was getting Jet A1 @ 55p a litre (18 months ago), the 28 Sec Kero was about the same but the paraffin was £5.00 for 4litres last time I bought some (Dec 08). Personally i'd rather pay a little more and not have to change the car if I spill Jet A1 in it but I had no problems at all using heating oil, must have used over 100 litres of it through 3 Jetcats.

Regards
Nick

I have used the local Kerosene (heating oil) mixed with 2stroke oil in all my turbines since I came here over five years ago. No fuel related problems in all that time.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
BaldEagel

Thanks all for your input, I always use a filter to transfer my fuel into my field can, the particular filter I use will filter out water from the Kero so no small particles can get into the can, perhaps I will try my 28second heating oil and see what happens, just have to wait until I have used up the 10 gallons of A1 I have at the moment.

Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 AM
jetjohn

Hi Mike,
You should have no problem using 28s Kero that was the recommended fuel for Wren turbines when I got mine nearly 7 years ago.
Still working great with Kero & TCW3.
Great price you have got. My last top up worked out at 57p per litre & I was well pleased. Jet A locally up to 90p + per litre.
Have to agree with Nick Minch Kero or Paraffin smell a lot better than Jet A plus smell does not linger.

I put mine through a normal paper car petrol fuel filter, works for me,

All the best,
John C

p.s.
Nick are you coming to the Cardiff flyin this weekend.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Flying freak

Hi guys

I read the forums a lot but am less active than i used to be. First off im not a jet guy but thought i may have some tips.

If your willing to run Jet a1 /Jet a i suggest you contact your localairport they take samples everyday to insure quality. these samples arethen put in barrels. They probably have to pay tog get ride of these soif your willing to take it off there hands for free they'd probablygive them to you. 

Only thing is this : there may be water in the fuel but that is noteven a problem let it settle for 2 minutes and it will all be in thebottom of the barrel.

Steven
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Off topic. I paid 3.06 a gal In LeesSummit, Mo. last Night for Jet A-1.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I work for a oil heating co. and we have a BIG tank at work,and they said it seems we use more kero in the summer.I sure wish we sold turbine oil.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Not good news in Oz.  Kero is VERY hard to find out of the bowser at reasonable prices since kero heaters are no longer used. 

Kero is generally only available pre packaged, the cheapest being 20 litre drums at around $60.

Jet A1 was about $1.28 per litre last fill from the local air port. - John.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Hawkflyer

Hi John,
Where do you get your Jet A1 from. The last time I bought Jet fuel at Camden airport he charged me $1.90 a litre.
Tony

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: funflyerf4

I work for a oil heating co. and we have a BIG tank at work,and they said it seems we use more kero in the summer.I sure wish we sold turbine oil.

Ha! Must be the summer heat making it evaporate.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi John,
Where do you get your Jet A1 from. The last time I bought Jet fuel at Camden airport he charged me $1.90 a litre.
Tony

Hi Tony, I hope he took you out to dinner before he screwed you! I get mine from Mobil at the back of Bankstown airport. - John
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Hawkflyer

Hi, John
No he didnt  and I wont give him another oppurtunity. I will go to Bankstown next time or see if I can get some of the refuellers at work .
Cheers Tony
Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM
kelly vallee

Anyone have any problem use Jet A-1 in a Jetcat, my local airport sell it for $1.39 liter ( Canadian ). A lot less then buy its at the local hardware store.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Hi,

Not to sure if you got an answer to this or not yet...
I use Jet A-1 from my local airport (US$3.65 per Gal) as well as Kero from Lowes or Home Depot (US$45 per 5 gal) and the only thing I can say is the difference between the two is the smell. Sefinatly tell when the Kero fuel starts up as well as shoots past at 100 ft!
I use it in a Jetcat P70, P60 and Titan as well as a Jet Central Falcon.

George

ORIGINAL: kelly vallee

Anyone have any problem use Jet A-1 in a Jetcat, my local airport sell it for $1.39 liter ( Canadian ). A lot less then buy its at the local hardware store.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Mike

We have a kero tank at work for the heating and I have always used it without a problem.

Jason
Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
BaldEagel

Jason

Thanks thats very helpful.

Mike
Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM
hpais

Everyone around here flyes on Jet A-1 exclusively... I haven't seen parafin oil for sale.