Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: [Deleted]

Wow.. Awesome Work.. A true Master!
    Luis

AMA number : 934723
    Concealed Weapons Carrier
    Pro 2nd Amendment
    Pro-Life unless you don\'\'t deserve it..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I slept through it here in Charlotte but my daughter who;s a sophomore at South Carolina in Columbia said she felt it.
    David

Corsair Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Getting a little bit more work done on the cockpit CAD drawings. So far, the front cockpit is 90% complete, I just have the right side panel to draw up. These are drawn over-size for now, as they will have to be trimmed to fit each airplane. I've got the 2 side panels to do for the RIO's cockpit, and then the HUD, Seats, circuit breaker panels, and a few other items, then the cockpit will be done.

I'm thinking of offering 2 versions of cockpits. One will just need to be painted, and the 2nd will have all of the Displays and instruments removed, and be back-lit. An option that i may look into..

Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that cockpit is awesome!
    Wap
    FEJ F14, Mig 29 & F15; Tam F16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

that cockpit is awesome!
    I will probably offer the cockpit separately as well, as it would make a cool display piece. It should also fit the other 1/7ish size F-14's out there as well.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other than the Seat and HUD, the front cockpit is done. Now the torture of doing the Rio's side panels and weapons/radar control grips... when i say torture, i mean that 1 side panel in the Rio cockpit has twice as many switch's/butons than both of the pilot side panels....[:@]

Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More work done on the cockpit. Front cockpit is complete minus the Seat. Yeap, even the HUD is done Rear cockpit is 50% complete, I've just got to do the left side panel, center pedestal, GPS display and hand hold. I'm still looking for information the navy SJU-17"NACES" seat so i can get those drawn up accurately and with a good bit of detail, but its hard to come by, especially dimensions.

I've got some closer views of the cockpit here as well.

Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want one!!!  Any Idea when the cockpit will be ready.  You may want to put the cockpit out first to help fund the rest of the project.  I'm sure i would need to trim off a little for it to fit. That backlit option would be awesome!
    Wap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other than the Tub (which i can't make the mold for that until I have the fuselage nose section molded) the cockpit is basically ready once the CAD work is completed.

Unfortunately right now, its looking like a complete cockpit kit (minus the ejections seats) is going to cost around $1,000 to be made. The pricing i'm being given is based on the amount of material needed to make the parts. So the more material i can make, the cheaper the parts, which means the cheaper the kit will be.

I'm going to go into the back-side of the instrument panels and other parts that are thick and solid and hollow them out, and see what kind of pricing I can get. JUST the panels are over $500 to be printed right now.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks great! Hopefully you can get the price down but if not hopefully i can afford to get one.
    Wap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

It looks great! Hopefully you can get the price down but if not hopefully i can afford to get one.
    I am hoping to have the complete cockpit kit available for around $500. I know its still expensive for a cockpit, but I dont see being able to get it any lower than that w/o sacrificing detail. If i have to, I can always use the 3D printed parts for the side panels and what not as plugs for resin cast parts, which would make it much cheaper, but the amount of detail will be lost.

Either way, i'll make it work out. Just another one of those challenge's of bringing a new product to market.

Oh, the Throttle levers are only $15, so that is officially the cheapest part for the entire airplane. LOL
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$500 is reasonable for the detail.  Get it done
    Wap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Making my B cockpit will be also a big challenge, hope to make it as beautyful as your's. Last week I have put my head in a 1/1, this gives very positive vibrations , I was measuring the wing screws.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Finally back home for a few days, and it seems like I'll be here till at least the 10th. So I have the 2nd half of the 2nd horizontal stab mold getting laid up right now. The 2nd coat of surfacing resin is on, and I am planning to get this mold completed tonight. Tomorrow i'm going to get started on the windscreen mold and the partings planes for the canopy and nose cone.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well... 3 molds complete (both horizontal stabs and the rudder)... Only 24 more to go (+/- 3 or 4). Tomorrow i'll split the 2nd horizontal stab molds clean them up, and then start work on the nose cone, canopy and windscreen parting planes.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Made up the windscreen, canopy and nose cone parting planes:

Here is a close-up of the parting plane against the canopy plug. You will notice the gap, this was done intentionally and filled with clay. The reason for this will be shown/explained later

Then everything was waxed and then PVA'd

Then plan is to get all 3 of these parts laid up today so as to pop it all off tomorrow, and start laying up the windscreen and canopy vacuum form plugs later this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5BLLfx_aQ
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the canopy and windscreen laid up:

And some of the nose cone:

The reason why everything but the nose cone is done, is b/c I had a revelation after the last update. After going back out to the shop i looked at the nose cone and then slapped myself in the fore-head. Reason being, is the nose cone would be extremely difficult to remove after the mold is laid up (the plug does not give at all) and the glass cloth will be practically impossible to wrap around the tight radius of the very forward tip of the cone.

So what i did, was put a few layers of 2oz cloth on the surface coat, and let it to cure. Tomorrow, i'll pull all the surface coat and all back off, then make an additional parting plane to split the nose-cone into 2 pieces. Then go back through the process of wax, pva, surface resin, fiberglass, etc. This will also make laying up the actual nose cone A LOT easier.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking very good Thomas, what are you going to use for the windscreen, I mean the final canopy glass. It needs to be super clear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Peter Coers

Looking very good Thomas, what are you going to use for the windscreen, I mean the final canopy glass. It needs to be super clear.
    Peter,
    I'm going to layup a plug inside of the molds i just made of the canopy and windscreen. I will then polish these down to 2000 grit paper, then send them off to a vacuum former to pull a set of clear canopies and windscreen's for me.

Thomas
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Separated the molds from their parts and parting planes today and also made up the 3rd parting plane for the nose cone mold.. I had intentions on laying up the other halves, but i'm tired and hungry and need to do some studying for a test tomorrow.. so it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Nose cone ready for PVA application and molding:

Then the windscreen mold was removed from the fuselage and cleaned up. Luckily only a small portion of the windscreen aft edge was damaged, which will be covered with litho detailings anyway

Then the parting planes were removed from the canopy mold:

Then i removed the tape that was outlining the canopy and windscreen from the fuselage. This is the first time in over a 18 months that i've seen the fuselage w/o tape on it. It looks MUCH better. The Windscreen is now ready to be detailed.

I then waxed the bottom and ends of the canopy mold and the windscreen mold. I will layup these two and a nose cone half tomorrow hopefully.

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI6-Ln9Bk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeACqE6yTXQ
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After spending some time with the family, i got some work done tonight after my son was put to bed.

the 2nd half of the canopy mold is laid up, and the windscreen Plug is laid up in its mold. once this cures tomorrow, i'll put in some 3/8" vertical grain balsa strucure, put a 1/8 thick balsa base, then fill the entire thing with expanding foam and that will be the plug for the vacuum-formed windscreen (once it is sanded and polished of course).

Also got 1/2 of the nose cone mold laid up as well.

The plan for tomorrow, is to paint the new spinner for my FW-190, lay up the 2nd half of the nose cone, build the structure of the windscreen, pop the canopy molds apart and remove the canopy and possibly get the parting planes for one of the flaps done and ready for a flap to be molded.

Video posted in the AM
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good Thomas. Keep up going with this good job. I find this part being the most boring and painful. Especially when working alone. But you seem to have a lot of motivation [8D].

By the way, when comes the time to layup the large parts of the mould, try to find some help.
    If the big parts are laid up quickly, there is less chance of structural stress and later warping due to the resin being at different stages of curing in different portions of the same part.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Oli. You are right, this part is like torture! It took a total of around 6 hours to do those 3 parts last night, and its the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and.. well you get the point. But it is very rewarding when you pop the mold halves and get to see the finished tooling.

As far as the layups for the fuselage and other large parts, i'm actually going to do some testing using vacuum infusion on some of the smaller parts. If it proves to be as easy as it looks in a few video's i'll do at least the fuselage in that method. Other-wise i'm going to have to find someone to help, and their aren't a whole lot of people here that are local that know what they are doing when it comes to composites that are available very often.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Removed the vertical parting plane from the nose cone mold. Unfortunately a bit of paint came off with the hot glue, so a wee little bit of filling and sanded needed to be done (its done already, which is what you see as "red" on the nose cone (pre-sanding)).

Then popped the windscreen plug out of the mold:

Then compared it to the fuselage, looks pretty good to me. All that is left, is some inner structure to stiffen it up even more and a round of wet sanding, polishing, etc and it will be ready to go to the vac. formers:

Popped the canopy molds apart, and then had a bit of a hard time getting the canopy plug out of the top of the canopy mold. A bit of compressed air around the edges and it popped free. The ever so slight amount of under-cut are the very front of the canopy makes it a snug (but easy) fit into the mold:

Then using a reverse-cut blade in my jig-saw the hole for the flap in the parting plane board was cut out:

Then since the fit was exceptionally tight around 90% of the flap, the flap was put into position, hot glued in from the back-side and then clay was put in the few small gaps around the edges. The flap is now ready for waxing and PVA and ready to be molded! I will mold this half of the flap, then remove it from the parting plane, then mold the 2nd half along w/ half of the 2nd flap at the same time.

Plan for tomorrow AM is to get out and mold the 2nd half of the nose cone and the canopy vac. form plug. Then i'm going to try an go do some flying

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_97Ri3Uao
    Thomas W.

Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast